Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
6,540 Posts
Getrag make the Powershift (6DCT450),

Suppose if there's no wiring to the rear diff it has to be passive and the AWD is at the front.

Thats where I thought it was as the Ford video keeps zooming into the rear diff, though no wire are seen in the exhibition cutaway.

·
Registered
595 Posts
http://eb-cat.ds-navi.co.jp/enu/jtekt/tech/eb/catalog/img/pdf/catd1002ex.pdf

You will have to download the PDF.

Bottom right hand corner of page 4

I am coming round that there is a clutch assembly at the front of the rear diff.
Full of Japanese magic, that sealed for life so as mentioned cant be f****d up by ford techies oil changers.

Also in my workshop manual does show a clutch within the ptu.

Attachments

·
Registered
595 Posts
Whilst I was under there...

As posted, did my oil change. So whilst I was under there (with a camera) took some pics of the Kuga PTU.

It is a lump, a lot bigger than the JLR ones I remember.

A few observations:

lots of cooling fins, and the under tray has a air scoop diverting air that way. (see MK2 oil filter change)
A sump plug for a oil change, and a fill point higher up, (mine I think at 50k miles)

And a wire !!!! My bet, a temp sensor or a sensor for us to watch the IAWD picture on dashboard.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Great photos @mad skiier thanks for taking the time to take them and post them.
It does look like it's been made to handle some punishment.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Am I right that the Canada versions have a 5 cylinder 2.2 diesel in? I saw one, 'power stroke' and plated to tow more weight?

That's why the whole transmission look more beefy that what is required for the European market. IE. JLR Evoque

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Am I right that the Canada versions have a 5 cylinder 2.2 diesel in? I saw one, 'power stroke' and plated to tow more weight?

That's why the whole transmission look more beefy that what is required for the European market. IE. JLR Evoque

Are you talking about the Escape? AFAIK they don't get an diesel engine options in North Amercia for it.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Probably right, I am sure it was a 5 cylinder 2.2, so my guess a 2.2 petrol turbo?

An engine seen in the Volvo family?

My ski mates shout 'STUUUFFFF' and collar me to keep walking...

I am sure they would be allowed to tow more weight.

·
Registered
913 Posts
As posted, did my oil change. So whilst I was under there (with a camera) took some pics of the Kuga PTU.

It is a lump, a lot bigger than the JLR ones I remember.

A few observations:

lots of cooling fins, and the under tray has a air scoop diverting air that way. (see MK2 oil filter change)
A sump plug for a oil change, and a fill point higher up, (mine I think at 50k miles)

And a wire !!!! My bet, a temp sensor or a sensor for us to watch the IAWD picture on dashboard.
Great pictures, what oil did you use and quantity.

Nice to see there's a drain and fill plug!.

·
Registered
595 Posts
@keithmac .

Mine done close to 32k miles, so just did the engine service (oil & filter as posted on another thread)

I am close to thinking to do oils on main gearbox (Spotted drain & fill plug from NSF (UK) from under the wheel arch whilst doing brakes)

So the main gear box & PTU at 41,000 mile service?

I did my old partner van at 70k, and what a difference to the 'feel' of the gearbox.

The spec & quantity is available from oil websites, I'll look it up closer the time.

Not had a coat of looking at regarding the rear diff yet, but I think that is 'sealed for life' that I don't like.

·
Registered
Ford Kuga MK2 Titanium X Sport 2.0 TDCI 180PS 6 speed manual MMT6
125 Posts
PTU oil 44k miles

Attachments

·
Registered
595 Posts
Maovi - well done, you beat me to it. Did you do the main gearbox as well. (You don't say a manual or auto)

To others - look at the S**T in that! mine if definitely getting done at 41k miles and gearbox.

I don't really think you will tell the difference driving (PTU only oil change) but would sleep better at night.

Now someone tell me that the rear Diff unit won't benefit from a dose of clean oil?

·
Registered
913 Posts
MaoVi, what oil did you use for refilling?.

I've had my Powershift gearbox out and the front transfer box is an interesting design.

The AWD torque is transferred via a hollow splined coupling, the off side diff output from the gearbox drives a shaft in the middle of the transfer box and this passes through the centre of the transfer case to the OS driveshaft.

The transfer box is not active/ "dumb", the propshaft is always live and the rear magnetic clutch in the rear diff controls the rear wheel torque output.

Can't see how it would ever get more than a 50/50 torque split to the rear though.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Last weekend I did only power transfer unit. You can not fill any difference with driving or noise, but I know it for sure it extends life of this unit. Those very fine sand metal particles on the magnetic drain plug, and bottom in oil, definitely should be cleaned out. Stink this oil was the worst I've ever feel.

For PTU my Ford Dealer recommend 1.06 lt Motorcraft SAE 75W-140. Genuine bottle cost £67 !

So I decided to use different brand. I bought (1 bottle 75W140 GL-5 Red Line) like "escapeforum" users. UK ebay stock auction: 283555719499 with Sealey AK54 Syringe.

I will order as well oils for rear differential and my 6 gears manual gearbox MMT6.

Ford recommend:
.....REAR DIFF...... 1.36 lt Motorcraft SAE 80W-90 (Premium Rear Axle Lubricant)
.....GEARBOX....... 1.75 lt Ford 75W FE (WSS-M2C200-D2)

Red Line alternatives:
2 litres Red Line MT-LV GL-4 (gearbox)
2 litres Red Line 75W-90 GL-5 (rear diff)

All oils are refilled until they comming out. Rear differential haven't got drain plug (oil have to be sucked out and filled by the same plug).

PTU oil change:
https://youtu.be/G8zMXcKk5Es

Escape forum:
https://www.fordescape.org/threads/ptu-and-rear-diff-oil-change.109340/page-3

Attachments

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I've used Redline oils in all my manual gearboxes and found it improves gear shifts.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I've used Redline oils in all my manual gearboxes and found it improves gear shifts.
I ordered Redline oil for gearbox. In this weekend I change it ?

·
Registered
595 Posts
Just to add to what homework MaoVi has said.

the PTU and the rear diff has DIFF oil in. Hypoid oil sometimes called. As per his picture.

I also looked at Castrol website last night.

The high end stuff will have a high friction eliminator content, PTFE, or Teflon for example. To ensure them cogs & bearings slip by easier.

DO NOT put this type of oil in your gearbox. (manual)
The super splippy-ness will effect the syncromesh of the gearbox. The syncromesh does need some friction to do its job.

So Gearbox oil for gearboxes, axle or diff oil for diffs & axles.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Redline MTL is for the manual gearbox, used it in my GTO TT, used Redline Shock Proof Heavy in the GTO Transfer Box, maybe a bit overkill for the Kuga PTU?.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I think for our Active JTEKT rear diff I'll use the Ford factory fill, theres plated and cone diffs but with the Ford/JTEKT is more like a motorcycle clutch with magnetic clamping.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts