Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody managed to locate an " ignition on" controlled connection to feed a sat- nav or speed camera detector somewhere near the stearing wheel area so avoiding a long trailing wire to the 12V socket near the hand brake. This socket is pemamently live so anything left plugged in will light up and also drain the battery. Iknow sat-navs are usually unplugged and taken out when not in use but my speed camera locator is a Novus Delta which sits permamately and very neatly on the the fixed steering wheel boss just infront of the information display without obstructing any view. But as I said the trouble is the long wire trailing across the car and remembering to unplug it when leaving the car.
Any auto electricians out there with any ideas ?

Colin.

·
Registered
23 Posts
errr No
You stated the the FAKRA connection has an 'iginition on' position - which is incorrect. The Fakra connection is the connector you plug the aerial into and is not the name of the main quadlock connector.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I don't know what your point is or what you are trying to achieve but I think TS knows what is meant and what I mean.
Just find out the layout and you know which position the "ignition on" one is (or ask your dealer).

Edited by: mouse1277

·
Registered
23 Posts
My point is, isthat the information you gave out was incorrect and googling the FAKRA connection is probably not going to help.

You seem to make a pointof correcting grammar and the use of 'caps lock', so I think its only fair that poor information is also corrected.

I also find it prettytedious logging onto the forum for the latest post -only toget sidetracked by your latest spate of error correcting.

p.s. your first sentence should read "what you are trying to achieve,"

·
Registered
23 Posts
ooops sorry for derailing

I have also been after a ignition to hard wire in my Karmon Hardon drive+ play (which is awesome by the way) and from what I can work out the CANBUS doesn't seem to provide an actual ignition switched wire.

Its only by going through a third party conversion harness that the ignition wire becomes available. I found lots of posts about how people couldn't seem to do it - and most have used other sources within the car.

I pulled the fuse box out to try and pick one up from the fuse box - but the part you can easily see is fuses only and no wire connectors could be easily viewed (the handbook says how to access it from underneath the glovebox)

i did post a couple of links in my first post - the 2nd one seems to have a box that gives you an ingnition wire - but it looks like it works in conjunction with a wiring conversion harness

I have a pal who is a a car alarm/stereo/bluetooth fitter and he says its getting more and more difficult as the wiring becomes more and more integrated into the managment systems of the vehicle.

For now - I'll keep looking on the net and in the car !!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Nubby, Ihad thought about picking up an ignition switched circuit in the fuse box , but that doesn't sound too easy. You would think that the manufacturer would put some connection near the dash that was accesable considering the number of dash mounted accesories now available. Please let us know if you come across anything interesting.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Nubby said:
My point is, isthat the information you gave out was incorrect and googling the FAKRA connection is probably not going to help.
Probably? Dunno, I tried it and found this: http://www.parrot.com/documents/en/support/schemasdinstallation/pdf/pinoutford3.pdf.
Look at page 3.

Nubby said:
You seem to make a pointof correcting grammar and the use of 'caps lock'
I don't know where you got this information from. Correcting grammar? I am Dutch and doing my best to write in my best English but I am not a "native speaker" like most of the people here.
CAPS LOCK and punctuation use is something else and simply has got to do with basic forum rules. Not especially here but everywhere in the world on forums.
Shouting is just not polite and everyone is allowed to say something about it and writing without use of punctuations makes a post difficult to read or understand.

Nubby said:
I also find it prettytedious logging onto the forum for the latest post -only toget sidetracked by your latest spate of error correcting.
Sorry, but I really don't understand what you are exactly talking about.

Nubby said:
p.s. your first sentence should read "what you are trying to achieve,"
Thanks, was a typo. I corrected it in my previous post.
Edited by: mouse1277

·
Registered
61 Posts
Nubby

Ref the Drive and Play - I've got one at home and keep meaning to install it. I bought for my last Focus ST (never installed it), bought my first Kuga (didn't install it) and now I have just picked up my new Kuga I've decided I should get my finger out and finally install the **** thing

Just wondered where you put all of the bits....?

I was thinking of hiding the main control box in the arm rest, the controller into the cup holder part of the center console and if I can chance my arm enough try and get the display onto the center of the top of the dash (in that rubber tray / paper holder).....

Any suggestions and any tips on where to hide the wiring?

ta

Tony

BTW OP sorry for going slightly off topic.....
Edited by: wise1

·
Registered
23 Posts
I didnt want drive+ play to be on view so I went with the following;

The control box and ipod in the cubby hole in the floor behind driver

Power from the 12v in the rear of the armrest

The Display I 'wedged' in the little cuuby hole which you will find by your right knee when in the drivers chair- it fits in perfect and you can see the display when you glance down. The joy stick I installed next to the screen - under the lighting unit switch.

All the cables are run under the trim that holds down the carpet by the driver door and then up to the units.

I actually fed them from the units back to the control box - and popped off the end panel of the dash (where the door meets the dash) to feed the cables behind the dash and down to the carpet area.

Not an ideal location - but certainly visible, usable and not really viewable from outside the car.
Edited by: Nubby

·
Registered
23 Posts
Stotty - you may be braver than me - try the fuse box under the glovebox and if are brave enough to pull it right out - you may be rewarded with a wiring loom you can tap into.

I let it drop down and had a good look with the torch - but couldn't see a single wire !!

·
Registered
119 Posts
If any one comes across a Reverse live connection under the dash I would be grateful for any info. (there is a reverse light fuse in the box under the dash but as most of you seem to have discovered its sealed so not sure what colour the wire will be.) I need it to power up the monitor for my reverse camera. Sorry I cant help with the original problem.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I will be getting a Parrot 3200 bluetooth system fitted to my Kuga in the next few weeks and according to my agent the Kuga needs a special adaptor lead to power the unit. If any one is interested I suggest they go to the parrot web site at www.parrotshopping.com, the adaptor number is PC000009AA. The pin number diagram which goes with this shows a 12v ignition and permanent listed. This ties up with previous info from other members. Not certain when this will be completed but will talk to the installer as I too would like a 12v ignition controlled output for my mobile. If I get any answers I will post on this site

·
Registered
212 Posts
hi all,
i have just hardwired my road angel and have used an ignition live from the loom that comes from the headlight switch the wire is a green and red and is a bit thicker than the rest of them.

hope this helps

1 - 20 of 25 Posts