Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Fork Kuga PHEV 2021
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Newbie here to the forum and Kuga (St Line X PHEV Solar Silver arrived yesterday), I have searched the forum and also online however can not find much UK content.

Can anyone confirm the process to setup Apple CarPlay wirelessly (without USB cable), I read that the new Kuga supports CarPlay over wireless however can not find any instructions, my car didn't come with a printed manual so utilising online / PDF version.

Thanks in advance

Matt

·
Registered
2021 Black ST-Line FHEV (70 plate) SYNC 3.4
63 Posts
Welcome to the forum! As far as I know wireless CarPlay is still not supported by Ford on SYNC 3, though the MachE may have it as it runs SYNC 4. I certainly have to plug my iPhone into my 2021 model (SYNC 3.4) to get it to work. Where did you read that it was supported?

·
Administrator
Ford Kuga 2013 Titanium X
1,897 Posts
Hi @MWS65, welcome to the forum,

Please take a minute to fill out your car model in your signature, it helps us when answering your questions and saves you having to type it in all the time. Details can be found here...........Welcome to the Forum, Please Read

·
Registered
Fork Kuga PHEV 2021
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi @MWS65, welcome to the forum,

Please take a minute to fill out your car model in your signature, it helps us when answering your questions and saves you having to type it in all the time. Details can be found here...........Welcome to the Forum, Please Read
Hi, I had put my car in the profile, is that different to signature. I’ll recheck the link. Thx

·
Registered
Fork Kuga PHEV 2021
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the forum! As far as I know wireless CarPlay is still not supported by Ford on SYNC 3, though the MachE may have it as it runs SYNC 4. I certainly have to plug my iPhone into my 2021 model (SYNC 3.4) to get it to work. Where did you read that it was supported?
Hi

having waited over a year for the car I can’t recall exactly, wireless CarPlay was definitely mentioned on several YouTube reviews (UK ones) and I thought in the brochure, guess I’m wrong which is a pity

a follow on question, would it be safe to use the wireless charge pad as well as plug-in for CarPlay?

thank you

·
Registered
Fork Kuga PHEV 2021
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi, I had put my car in the profile, is that different to signature. I’ll recheck the link. Thx
Updated in the signature. Thx for the nudge

·
Registered
2021 Black ST-Line FHEV (70 plate) SYNC 3.4
63 Posts
a follow on question, would it be safe to use the wireless charge pad as well as plug-in for CarPlay?

thank you
I’ve done this many times without issue, though have wondered if I should. In my case, according to the on-screen SYNC pop-up, it seems to prioritise wireless charging over charging through the cable.

·
Administrator
Ford Kuga 2013 Titanium X
1,897 Posts

Sorry, either or or even both as you now have is fine. I was just looking at the bottom of your post.

·
Registered
Fork Kuga PHEV 2021
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I’ve done this many times without issue, though have wondered if I should. In my case, according to the on-screen SYNC pop-up, it seems to prioritise wireless charging over charging through the cable.
That’s good to hear, thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes. Apple devices are smart enough to choose one power source over another. If it somehow gets two (charge pad and cable), it'll just use one.

I've got an iPhone 12 that I plug in for CarPlay, but I end up putting on the pad all the time too. It's fine.

·
Registered
Mk3 ST Line X Edition with Tech Pack - Black - 2021.25 Spec
61 Posts
I believe there are adaptors that convert to wireless. Plug into USB, create a network, phone connects to that...... There is an indiegogo one for Android (I've signed up).

Edited to add..... Quick Google search brings up a review of one of many.

·
Registered
2020 Ford Kuga 2.5 PHEV ST-Line X First Edition
23 Posts
Is it only certain models which have just 1 USB socket in the car, i.e in the front and nothing for rear seat passengers? Considering all the other bells and whistles I though they could have had two USB's

·
Registered
2021 S/Silver Vignale 225 FWD PHEV
202 Posts
Is it only certain models which have just 1 USB socket in the car, i.e in the front and nothing for rear seat passengers? Considering all the other bells and whistles I though they could have had two USB's
My Vignale has 2 USB A's in the front and USB A & C at the rear.
I have a friend who has a '69 plate BMW and that comes with Wireless Apple Car Play. Ford missed a trick here.

·
Registered
2020 Ford Kuga 2.5 PHEV ST-Line X First Edition
23 Posts
Hi AxleB, out of curiosity, where in the rear are your USB’s located?

·
Registered
2021 S/Silver Vignale 225 FWD PHEV
202 Posts
Hi AxleB, out of curiosity, where in the rear are your USB’s located?
Front 2 by the Charging Pad/12v socket.
Rear 2 below vents behind the rear console.

·
Registered
Ford Kuga PHEV, april 2021, ST Line X, Winter pack, technology pack, retractable towbar
26 Posts
I also have two USB A in the front and one USB A and one USB C in the back. However, today I went to the dealer because the front ones do not work anymore. They have ordered new ones and they asked me if I want the same 2 USB - A or a panel that has one USB-A and one USB-C. I ordered the latter. So it seems that Ford might have changed the specs for the front ones.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I also have two USB A in the front and one USB A and one USB C in the back. However, today I went to the dealer because the front ones do not work anymore. They have ordered new ones and they asked me if I want the same 2 USB - A or a panel that has one USB-A and one USB-C. I ordered the latter. So it seems that Ford might have changed the specs for the front ones.
I know the first editions ones that i have seen in the reviews (I think Carwow did one ) and that showed a usb A and C in the front but the one i test drove a few weeks ago has 2 usb A sockets in the front

I wonder if thats is an easy upgrade is the panel easily removal and would the usb C socket work ok with the infotainment

·
Registered
592 Posts
For info Apple charge a lot for wireless carplay licensing. I suspect Ford don't want to have to go through the complication of that licensing cost with end users. BMW charged for it until recently and even if included they charge for the 'connected drive' so it isn't really free!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sorry to resurrect an oldish thread.

I am awaiting delivery of my Kuga but currently have a Mk4 Focus STLX with Sync 3 and use a CarLinkIt car play adapter. It is a small box that plugs into a USB port and about £50-60 from AliExpress. It enables full wireless CarPlay and it’s a decent investment. It lets me have CarPlay and charge my phone in the wireless charge mat. My Focus does have USB in the armrest which is where I hide my adapter.

I also have a Vivaro-e works van with CarPlay and the adapter is universal across vehicles with CarPlay enabled.

Hope this helps and happy to answer any questions.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts