Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my dash cam wired in/plugged into fuse box piggybacks on to ignition fuse. They left the 5 amp fuse in and it work but the heated seats stopped working and the radio some times turned off. So went back and they put the 7.5 amp back in and the heated seats worked and so far no radio problems but the dash cam doesn't turn on now? Answers on a postcard ta

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Fuse F85 in fuse box under glove box is the one you want for ignition switched supply

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Which fuse number did you piggyback off?You need to use fuse 85.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Ford garage I got my car from did it for me, But they only put 1 fuse back in instead of both fuses. (well that is my diagnosis) I will test tomorrow when I put the other fuse in.

It is also in fuse 85 as shown below

·
Registered
93 Posts
As you look at it from above, the fuse on the left replaces the original fuse and the one on the right is the fuse tap one, the one above the wire.

If there was only 1 fuse and it needed 2 something wouldn't work, the 2 fuses are completely separate.

·
Registered
6,540 Posts
StanimalHD said:
The Ford garage I got my car from did it for me, But they only put 1 fuse back in instead of both fuses. (well that is my diagnosis) I will test tomorrow when I put the other fuse in.

It is also in fuse 85 as shown below
If that the case, that should really inspire you with confidence that the electrician knows what he is doing. Is the piggy back in the correct why round? Others on here who have used that fuse could confirm from your picture.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had a go myself as the people at the ford garage are not much cop. Hench why they did it free of charge for me (there is a whole other story to why) but I have had a look and put both fuses in the switch that they have installed and if you plug it into one side then the heated seats work and the dash cam dosen't and visa versa so I plugged both into the correct holes and wala! works a treat.. I will try to find a picture to explain it better

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Below is pic of what they left it like (Stock image)

And below is how it is now with 2 fuses in where the green one is now plugged in is for heated seats and they yellow one is for dash cam. makes sense now.

·
Registered
6,540 Posts
OK, great. If you have plugged it back in the same orientation they had, with your second fuse fitted, its the correct way round. Otherwise it wouldn't have worked when they missed the other fuse out.

Your fixed thats the main thing.

·
Registered
93 Posts
StanimalHD said:
Below is pic of what they left it like (Stock image)

And below is how it is now with 2 fuses in where the green one is now plugged in is for heated seats and they yellow one is for dash cam. makes sense now.

If the yellow one is for the dash cam and the green for your seats, then they are the wrong way round. The fuse above the wire feeds the wire, the other one is the original fuse. I appreciate that's not your fuse tap but it is important to get them the right way round, especially if they are different fuse ratings. At least you know why your bits didn't work if it was left like the top photo.

·
Registered
6,540 Posts
Careful we dont confuse. Yes the fuse above the wire feeds the wire (2 amp fuse). The top picture is the piggy back that was Fords attempt and the Dash cam worked, they forgot to fit the 5 amp fuse in (yellow fuse) for the seats to work. So the fuses are correct.

Edited by: Fillco

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry, those pictures aren't mine they are off the internet I was just using them as reference. My fuses are in the correct way as I knew which worked when only 1 was plugged in. the above is only a example and like andspenka says the correct way round is probably (referring to the picture above) yellow one is dash cam and other fuse is heated seats

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Fillco said:
Careful we dont confuse. Yes the fuse above the wire feeds the wire (2 amp fuse). The top picture is the piggy back that was Fords attempt and the Dash cam worked, they forgot to fit the 5 amp fuse in (yellow fuse) for the seats to work. So the fuses are correct.

Correct they forgot the 5amp dash cam fuse and only put the 7.5 amp back in

·
Registered
6,540 Posts
Ah I see with the stock images.

Either way, the yellow fuse (which is actually a 30 amp in the image) is the position the original fuse should be inserted. The Green fuse position should be your dashcam fuse.

Your original picture is that an actual picture from your own Kuga?

Fuse 85 may be different on the new 2017 model, on mine 2016 its for ignition, which would provide a go signal for radio, seats and other circuits.

Edited by: Fillco

·
Registered
6,540 Posts
And its a 2017 ST? According to the online handbook F85 is ignition like previous MK2s's. Heated seats are fused from the boot fuse box.

·
Registered
47 Posts
As this thread is live, I have read the 18 page thread about wiring in a hardwire kit for a dashcam. Can anyone advise how they ran the cables down the a Pillar? Does it come off or is there a gap in the trim? Also, is the front fuse box behind the glove box? Edited by: Ginger_ale

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ginger_ale said:
As this thread is live, I have read the 18 page thread about wiring in a hardwire kit for a dashcam. Can anyone advise how they ran the cables down the a Pillar? Does it come off or is there a gap in the trim? Also, is the front fuse box behind the glove box?
The ford garage did it for me but they said they just pushed the wire behind the trim and fed it down behind the glove box.

Yes the fuse you need is F85 and is behind the glove compartment

1 - 20 of 54 Posts