Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just bought first Kuga. Love it, I’ve been reading up in AWD v FWD winter tyres etc.....anyhow just bought some used Audi wheels with 225 55 17 winter tyres as we’re going very cheap. Can anyone confirm, or not if these can be used on the Kuga (on appropriate 17 inch rims yet to be acquired) thanks for any help in advance

·
Registered
985 Posts
Check the sticker on the door frame below the drivers door latch. It gives you the sizes, I believe.
Welcome and enjoy.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Psshaw

235 55 17 recommended, I cannot see why a 225 would make too much difference yet no expert hence seeking views

·
Registered
436 Posts
Difference is 12 revs more per mile, (742 for 235, 754 for 225)

So speedo will say 70, actual speed 68.7

·
Registered
985 Posts
I’m no expert but there are those two n here that can help. Give them time.
Wrong speed indicated and abs malfunction warning?

·
Registered
503 Posts
You need to tell your insurance company if tyre sizes are different to manufacturer recommendations. That will possibly be for all winter tyres where cars have a V or higher speed rating. All the winter tyres I saw for my car when making a foreign trip where H rated.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all!

Speed rating on the tyres is V so no issues I think. Less rubber on the road I suppose, not aware of abs issues. Hopefully shouldn’t cause other issues?

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Hi all,

Just bought first Kuga. Love it, I’ve been reading up in AWD v FWD winter tyres etc.....anyhow just bought some used Audi wheels with 225 55 17 winter tyres as we’re going very cheap. Can anyone confirm, or not if these can be used on the Kuga (on appropriate 17 inch rims yet to be acquired) thanks for any help in advance
Don't know about Audi rims but my second set of winters on Ford alloys 17 inch definitely fit the ST Line, clearance for EPB calipers is adequate

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea thanks. Looking for 17 inch alloys to fit tyres to, Will be selling the Audi rims on. Main query was if it’s safe to use the 225 55 17 rather than recommended 235 55 17

·
Registered
985 Posts
Ha, I misread the number.

They are 10mm less in width, so I can’t see what they would adversely alter, of course less grip. The side wall height is the same as is rim size. Still best for a guru to comment on.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Yea thanks. Looking for 17 inch alloys to fit tyres to, Will be selling the Audi rims on. Main query was if it’s safe to use the 225 55 17 rather than recommended 235 55 17
The load rating is very important as it does not want to be less than the Kuga's recommended load rating but you will be fine with 225's on the width. Make it slightly better if we get snow. Good to see they are V rated. When I had to buy some winters my car was on 205/55/16 and all I could find was H rated. I bought a set and just rang the insurance and explained why I had to fit them.

·
Registered
436 Posts
If all four are the same size won't make a jot of difference. If speed & load rating ok for the Kuga.

With the following differences: Speedo will read higher as mentioned, and Brim to brim mpg will be a tad lower.

I wouldn't mix the two sizes of tyre (not said FWD or AWD) as with AWD will confuse the AWD and possibly the ABS sensors.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks all, appreciated. Picked the tyres up with 7mm on each on the Audi rims for £50! Set of 17 inch ex Kuga rims in the pipeline. All good.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Interesting to note that Audi rims fit the Kuga. What I would love for my Kuga is an Audi display that comes out if the dash when you switch the ignition on. That is a cool feature.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
My ford alloys are fitted with 235/55/17, and still advertised in the For sale and wanted thread

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Being new to the site only just realised buying n selling section. Thanks phone man not realised. I have however been offered a set to go with my tyres at a giveaway price.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Smart guy, have a created a misconception that the Audi wheels I mentioned are compatible with a Kuga or is this information you have as if so not realised. Hence why I was looking for a set of ford alloys

·
Registered
242 Posts
YES - the tyres will work no problem. Insurance companies (along with the police / VOSA etc) are interested in:

• Do the tyres damage the road?
  • Are the tyres above the minimum legal tread depth (1.6mm)?
  • Are the tyres defective?
From your own point of view, you need to consider the tyre sizes... they should be the same across an axle, you also need to consider the rolling circumferences , this used to cause issues with 4wd cars as you suffered from 'diff wind up'.

I run 17" jaguar winter wheels on my kuga without issue. my summer wheels are 255 x 50 x 19's vs the winter 235x55x17. See here: Winter Wheels
The rims only cost me about £70 with another £25 for the correct wheel nuts to suit

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
Martin, are the 255 x 50 x 19's, OK, whats your speedo against a Satnav speed, I guess about the same.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts