Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are just loving our new Kuga, having taken delivery of it just over a week ago. There is, however, a problem which is so insidious that both I and my wife had noticed it separately, but had not mentioned it or discussed it with each other until today.
This is a problem with the optics of the front windscreen, which seems to affect the driver's side more than the nearside. It's difficult to describe - you get the feeling your vision is impaired when looking through the screen. I had initially put it down to needing new glasses, but when outside the car, my corrected vision is pretty much spot on. However, when driving the car for prolonged periods, I actually developed headaches. You feel you need to blink to refocus. I had pretty much put it down to my own eyesight until I mentioned it to my wife today, and she is experiencing exactly the same problem, despite her sight being very different to mine (I wear glasses for short vision and she is long sighted). I have just done a bit of Googling, and this is the closest I can get to the same problem: http://newcarbuyingguide.com/index.php/forum/main/event=read/fid=Q%20&%20A/m=561
I've searched the forum, and can't find anyone else reporting this problem - are we the only ones?

Our Kuga is a Titanium, and therefore has the blue tinted glass, with the standard Quickclear heated windshield.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Hi Kuga59,
Have you felt your windscreen? If so, is it smooth or rippled? I am sure I read on here somewhere that some people struggle ignoring the heating elements in the front screen. If the screen is smooth this may be the problem. If the screen is rippled then I would go back to the dealers with it.

Ursus.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Kuga59,
We also have a Titanium with the blue tinted glass. It's possibly just theheating elements in the front screen as they take a bit of getting used to. However I'd go back to your dealer and ask to take their demonstrator out for a long run to compare.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Ursus & Faboy

I've now cleaned the screen - we were on a longish trip yesterday - and checked for any ripples or physical imperfections in the glass. There's nothing wrong with it.

So that leaves the heating elements. I do believe you are both right - it's actually the heating elements that are causing us some bother. That together with the wearing of glasses. My wife, being long sighted can drive without them, and she can't then see the elements. However, when she wears her varifocals for driving, she can see the elements. I am short sighted and have to wear my specs for driving. I think the presence of the elements is causing my eyes to try and focus on them, but with corrected vision, that isn't easy. It sounds a bit daft, but I'd rather have a non-heated screen and do without the occasional convenience of being able to clear it in cold weather.
Thanks for your comments - I'm off to do some googling on this topic now.
As I said earlier, apart from this problem, we are just soooo impressed with Flossie

·
Registered
374 Posts
wait till you drive with it while itsheating, the heat rising has a strange effect. But ALL pretty normal for Ford users I guess. Its a bloody good bonus to those of us who benefit from it?? Edited by: the undertaker

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I guess so. This is my first Ford since I had one of the early XR3s (carburettor model) in the 1980s. I don't think heated front screens had been widely adopted by Ford then.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
I think the term Ford would useis, just a"Characteristic" of element through glass technology. I wear specs justfor reading (OK I'm an old git) and must admit I could not see the elements until I had my specs on and thought Jeso. So I can imagine that anyone with perfect 20/20 would be alarmed when they first start to experience this net curtain type effect.

·
Registered
140 Posts
the undertaker said:
But its all worth it in the winter, BLISS when others have frozen fingers, and not form birds eye.......

Soooo true......godsend.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My last four cars have had headed windscreens, it's on my must list, I wouldn't be without one now.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
No I agree (should of gone to S********s) but seriouslythis is our first Fordfor many years soI cannot wait to sampleFord's "Elementary Trickery" when the first frost arrives.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Hi Springhead,

Thats a lot of crashes, do you find it theraputic (heading) the windscreen.

Just my warped sense of humour. lol.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have found that driving with my varifocal lenses produces distortion - I use a single vision pair (to correct myopia) in the car and there is no problem.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I noticed this with my last car with a heated windscreen. wife didn't see it at all. the fine wire 'mesh' embedded inthe screen can for some be distracting and ifyou focus on it even with peripheral vision ,give slight optical problems and possibly headache or eye strain on a long exposure.
I have now learned in my Kuga with heated front screen to look 'past' the element and it rarely distractes me now unless i focus on it.

Its a little bit like looking at one of those 3d picturesyou see around. all bits of colour and shape until when you stare 'past' the actual distance and eyes focus some way beyond the physical layer of the printed image,you then SEE a well pronounced 3D effect of an object.

In effect you need to simply try and 'see' past the ewindscreen and focus entirely on outside objects etc. it can be done but takes a little practise at first then becomes second nature.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a transit custom with a screen problem too. It’s not the heating elements. These do cause a rippling effect in various conditions and of course if left on too long. However, the issue with my screen is a manufacturing fault. The glass is not uniform, with several lines across the screen causing the view to dostort, like you see looking through very old glass in castles etc. Looking through the screen at 90 degrees there is no distortion but there is when viewed at the proper angle for driving. This causes eye strain, headaches and has even made me feel sick occasionally. My local Ford dealer has been trying to get this sorted and have replaced my screen 3 times, each time to discover the same issue in different places on the screen but always in the area I look through. Ford are silent from the top on this but it seems that Ford are now making their own screens rather than Pilkington. If anyone can help me on this I’d be grateful. All the new custom vans coming in to my local dealership with heated screens now have these lines of distortion running across the screen. It appears the glass is not distorted on unheated screens yet but Ford won’t allow my van to be downgraded to an unheated screen.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I too have slight issues with the windscreen [as I did many years ago with a Mondeo] and basically manage to shut out of my mind until its dark then the lights appear to highlight the elements....but hey ho I can manage. BUT whilst I am on this subject something occurred this morning that I am looking for another explanation: I got into the car, the screen was damp and misted, I started the engine and before I actually pressed any heating buttons the screen element cleared the windscreen....surprise:....is this normal is there an auto function ? it was 5c not overly cold. I checked my handbook and cannot find anything referring to an automatic setting.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts