Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Kuga St Line X 2.0D (190) Auto AWD Chrome Blue
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've tried to connect my Kuga to my home WiFi but it keeps saying 'password rejected' and failing to connect. (That's using the same password that's used to connect my desktop PC, Laptop, tablet and smartphone to my home WiFi.) Any ideas?

·
Registered
ST-Line Edition 2019 AWD - Petrol - Auto
874 Posts
I have something similar with my car's Wi-Fi and never really got the bottom of it.

I can connect to my phone's Wi-Fi hotspot, which in turn is connected to my home Wi-Fi, but if I tried to connect the car directly, I had the same error messages.
I tried my sister's home Wi-Fi network too and had the same experience.

I did find I could connect directly to an unsecured network (not password protected), so I created an unsecured guest network from within my home Wi-Fi set-up and use it solely for the car.

I think it must have something to do with the encryption being used, so if it's possible to try another type of encryption, give it a go, or if possible, try what what worked for me.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've tried to connect my Kuga to my home WiFi but it keeps saying 'password rejected' and failing to connect. (That's using the same password that's used to connect my desktop PC, Laptop, tablet and smartphone to my home WiFi.) Any ideas?
I had the same issue. I've owned my new mk2 for a couple of weeks and am trying to get the sync 3 system updated as it doesn't appear to have ever been done. Tried to connect to wi-fi, but kept saying unable to connect after I had put the right password in multiple times.

Went back into the car this evening with the engine running and tried again and it worked first time, so maybe try again with the engine running to see if that helps?

Now just got to get the update to work. Seems to be on 'Downloading' for ages.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
I thought I had read somewhere on fords website it says updating to the car can take up to 30 minutes and to leave engine running. I will see if I can find the link unless I dreamt it.

Reactions: Phil Doggo

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tips, but it's still not working.

I've also had to reinstall FordPass today, as that tells me my car is parked in the next road along even though I can see it on my drive and after nearly 2,000 miles it still can't give me a fuel report as it 'hasn't collected enough data'.

To be honest I'm not too impressed with the tech and connectivity on this car. I don't think it's actually up to standard considering the full list price of the car.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I imagine your car location error is just down to the GPS on your phone, as opposed to a problem with the app, especially if your using the app indoors, where there is very little GPS reception, so you'll just be getting an estimation.

I've never had a fuel report either, but I think you have to have the actual FordPass app running / open while driving, maybe even plugged into the car's USB port and I presume you need to enabled the My Journeys feature too, which is located about halfway down the same page as the Fuel Report or via the Account cog icon at the bottom of the app.
Fuel report is still in beta as well, or is on my app, so may not be fully working anyhow.

I personally don't think the FordPass app is particularly good either - it has the potential to be, but seems a bit of a hotchpotch of ideas rather than a solid useful and informative app.

Reactions: Jizzer

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've connected my car to my phone's Wi-Fi hotspot today and it worked first time. Luckily I have an unlimited data plan, it's obviously not as fast as my home broadband but it's done the trick for now.

FordPass has only recorded my return journey to 'My Journeys', but at least it knows where I left it now! :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
I've connected my car to my phone's Wi-Fi hotspot today and it worked first time. Luckily I have an unlimited data plan, it's obviously not as fast as my home broadband but it's done the trick for now.

FordPass has only recorded my return journey to 'My Journeys', but at least it knows where I left it now! :)
That would suggest there are some router settings on your home WiFi stopping the connection, for example you may need to change the allowed device types to let older devices connect. I'm not sure what Ford sync is using now but not that long ago it was still using wireless g for connection.

·
Registered
353 Posts
You're better off downloading the update direct from Ford's website (link below) then onto a USB stick which when you plug into the car it will just update automatically once on a long driver preferably. The latest maps are 22GB which will take an age trying to connect your car over Wi-Fi.

·
Registered
874 Posts
USB stick is indeed going to be the fastest way.

I have a problem connecting my car to my Wi-Fi too - it connects fine if there's no password on my network, but if there is, the car just reports it cannot connect. No idea why, and I have about a dozen various things on the network at home.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I have one router(sky) where the car just refuses to connect and all other devices are fine, swapped to a spare sky router and car connected first time, switched back and same problem again so have left spare one connected.......but I have auto updates and wifi switched off now as DogDeluxe (😉) is aware

·
Registered
874 Posts
I have one router(sky) where the car just refuses to connect and all other devices are fine, swapped to a spare sky router and car connected first time, switched back and same problem again so have left spare one connected.......but I have auto updates and wifi switched off now as DogDeluxe (😉) is aware
It's for our own good 😬

1 - 12 of 12 Posts