Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What waxes are members using on their Kugas. We all have different opinions but I'm looking for a good product for black paintwork that has been tried and tested

·
Registered
921 Posts
You can't go wrong with anything from Auto Glym. I use there super resin polish, HD wax, detailing spray nfact early there entr professional range. However I also have Meguirers and Poorboys in my arsenal. When I had my two black Kuga's I couldn't fault Poorboys blackhole. Similar to super resin polish but when cured and buffed off gave a nice wet look to the car.

One website I visit quite a lot is www.detailing.co.uk. Please visit with caution as it will make you think twice how you care for your vehicle and will drain the money out of your bank account.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Looking at the title of your thread thought I add this.

A polish is designed to remove minor surface imperfections such as scratches, spotting, and oxidation. Polishes work with abrasives and/or chemical cleaners to flatten, or level, the surface.

For example, a clear coat scratch can reflect light from its microscopic edges. That's what makes it stand out from the surrounding area. A polish can smooth out, or level, the edges; reducing the amount of light the scratch reflects. In many cases, a polish can completely remove minor surface scratches and other imperfections.

A wax is designed to enhance and protect a previously polished surface. The protection is necessary to keep airborne pollutants, road film and other contaminants from sticking to the surface, causing potentially long term damage.

Some single-step products combine the cut of a polish with the shine and protection of a wax. They work great when speed is important, but aren't as effective overall as a two-step polish/wax process.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I used to use Autoglym super resin polish, which is pretty good, but I have now moved to Autoglym Radiant, which is even better. It's not readily available but you can get it on line in 5 litre cans. It's easy to apply and doesn't leave white residue in the bodywork details.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Mcguiars Swirl X and their Mirror glaze polish does the trick for me, the Swirl X is almost dust free which is a bonus when using a machine polisher

·
Registered
58 Posts
All but one of the cars I've ever ordered have been Ford Metallic Panther Black which I am going back to and this is my personal steps and preference but getting the best results doesn't come cheap as you'll have to include a few extra steps but once done it's only a matter of up keeping a couple of times a year and can simply just wash down the car between detailing, will try my best to include prices for the products I use off the top of my head but sure if you shop around or catch a promotion you'll be able to reduce these!

Step 1. Apply Demon Wash Snow Foam £10 for 2L using the Foam Applicator on your pressure washer (A luxury first step but not necessary you could just skip to step 3)
Step 2. Jet off
Step 3. Fill two buckets one containing soapy water (personally use Meguiars Ultimate Wash & Wash £17.50 1.5L) and the other filled with just clean water to wash of the mitt before returning back into the soapy water
Step 4. Dry off the car please don't use a blade to do this instead use a quality microfibre drying towel
Step 5. Clean the alloys (I use Meguiar's Hot Wheels to clean both the alloys and the tyres £10 for 710ml)
Step 6. Assess the paint work if the surface feels rough then there's a contaminat on the surface to remove this I use Meguiar's Clay Kit and Detaining Spray which is a big investment but well worth it, it's what makes the biggest difference and doesn't always need to be used but definitely recommended the first time (between £20-£30 dependant on which kit you go for)
Step 7. Is to remove any below surface contaminants and remove swirl marks which I do by using a paint compound which can either be done by hand or if you have a machine polisher (I use Meguiar's Ultimate Compound £10 450ml) do a no more than a panel at a time and remove before it drys
Step 8. The glossing, use a polish to then shine the paint work (Meguiar's Ultimate Polish £12 for 470ml) did this by hand half a panel and a panel at a time and remove while still wet)
Step 9. Wax; I personally use Simoniz original Wax £8 150g which I find to be long lasting and at a reasonable price and apply a panel at a time melting in my hands and massaging into the paintwork using my hands and then buff off
That's it the paintwork is done the next steps are to address other areas
Step 10. Applying a sheen the external plastics and tyres (recommendation Diamond Brite Replenish Vinyl and Tyres sheen £7 500ml)
Step 11. A good Hoover
Step 12. Clean the interior trim (Diamond Brite Dashboard Renovator Cherry (also available in Apple or Lemon) £5 500ml
Step 13. Clean the widows, apply a rain shield to exterior and anti mist to interior, well worth doing as clean glass mists up much more easier, for this I find that the Diamond Brite Glass Wonder Kit to be the best buy which includes 500ml of Spirit Glass Cleaner, 250ml Anti Mist, 100ml Ranscreen and couple of nice extras like a drawstring bag, demister pad and glass cloth £16
Step 14. Clean and feed the Leather Diamond Brite Leather Feed and Cleaner £15 250ml
Step 15. The Cherry on top, by which I mean a couple of Yankee Candle Black Cherry Vent Sticks (4 sticks for £4) pack lasts about a month, also like midsummer night which smells like a nice men's cologne

All but one of these items will last you a few years and I tend to buy on a 3 for 2 offer time, the only item that you'll need to buy again each time is the clay bars which I only use once or twice a year and usually on accessing the paintwork I find that a wash polish and wax is all that's needed if that

Hope I've not bored everyone to much or this has been the best bedtime story and also look forward to reading others recommendations and input

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds comprehensive, I think if I did mine as thorough as that the missus would think I've left home

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Stupot said:
You can't go wrong with anything from Auto Glym. I use there super resin polish, HD wax, detailing spray nfact early there entr professional range. However I also have Meguirers and Poorboys in my arsenal. When I had my two black Kuga's I couldn't fault Poorboys blackhole. Similar to super resin polish but when cured and buffed off gave a nice wet look to the car.

One website I visit quite a lot is www.detailing.co.uk. Please visit with caution as it will make you think twice how you care for your vehicle and will drain the money out of your bank account.
Do you mean

www.detailingworld.co.uk

Edited by: Morph

·
Registered
921 Posts
Morph said:
Stupot said:

Do you mean

www.detailingworld.co.uk

Yes I did, apologies for the typo.

·
Registered
15 Posts
After washing with Meguiars Gold Class shampoo, I use auto glym super resin polish, then collinite 476S wax.
Do this 2 to 3 times a year, and between waxes, when I wash the car its gleaming in no time.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Poor boys, every time

·
Registered
125 Posts
Now using Chemical Guys products - jury's out but they are very pleasant to use and time will tell how they perform.

I used to use Auto Glym for years but felt they were being left behind with their development. Will report back on my findings and specific products in due course.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Dodojuice gets my vote, and Dom is the man with the know how when it comes to application and getting the best beading.. take a look! Especially those who wax in doors.. nothing like banana armour for a nice smelling garage!

That or R222 ˜†

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I originally used C2V3 paint sealant on my first Kuga and was never that happy with its durability. I then tried some Collinite 845 and the stuff is fantastic giving a lovely shine and was still beading when the car was handed back last week. I'm desperate to get a couple of coats on my new one but it's too damp and cold here at the moment.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Armor all shield is my favourite, as is most products in the armor all range,

However for a dedicated polish I was recommended Autosmart Carnauba Gold Car Wax, and this is really very good, highly recommend trying it.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Blum said:
Auto Express 2015 test HERE
Runner up was HERE
Available in UK HERE

This is the 12month Fusso dark wax on my Nissan.

Wow that shine is fantastic!!

·
Registered
373 Posts

Our Zoe after Clay Mitt, Autoglym Super Resin Polish & Extra Gloss Protection

1 - 20 of 25 Posts