Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all Kuga owner for 1 whole week now!

having never had a diesel before, was wondering what the difference is between normal diesel and "super diesel" apart from the price?

saw the 2 at the pumps at my local BP station and wasnt sure which to put in - i put in normal diesel (as it was cheaper and me being a miser -lol)

is the difference like unleaed and super unleaded, as I know that super unleaded used to give my oldfocus a bit more zip!

do you get better economy out of a particular one?

only getting 29mpg at the moment - not impressed!

·
Registered
731 Posts
Hi moggith,
This is my first diesel car too! Where I live you get normal diesel, there is a fuel station about a mile from me that is a Shell garage and as been saying 'V-Power, coming soon'!!!! This as been coming soon for the last 2 years! Sorry that's really not much help to you.

I think there is a post about this somewhere. They said that there was a difference in performance and economy. Give it a go see if it makes any difference

Please don't worry too much about the MPG (several pages on this!) your new car is only a week old, give her time to loosen up a bit. My Kuga is 4 months old and as covered 2000mls and averaging 44mpg, she is 2WD.

Are you enjoying your Kuga ownership? I most definitely am!

·
Registered
18 Posts
hello

I only put in premium normal diesel , e.g. BP ESSO SHELL etc.,never gone for the v power stuff . put a tank full of super market fuel in once and mpg fell by 5 mpg and car felt a little woolly when accelerating . spoke to a mechanic who advised me that some makes can eat there turbos if you only use cheaper super market fuel.

Gary

PS average 33-37 mpg at the moment, 2300mls

·
Registered
439 Posts
I use the cheapest, as its tooexpensive anyway!! If you go to a refinery you will see thatall the tankerscome from the same place, one after another!! Asda, BP, Esso, Sainsburys. Don't let them kid you its better from an Esso station than an Asda cause its not!! I use diesel and petrol (asI also have a Ka for work)from Esso and BP and find it no different from Asda or Sainsburys. I get between 40 and 50 mpgwith the kuga which isan AWD. And the Ka can easily do 250-300 mileon less than a tank, which isnt big!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
That is bad advice.
<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><O:p></O:p>
I work in the oil & gas industry and can confirm there is a large difference between sources and grades of petrol and diesel. Sainsbury fuel will be different fromESSO, to use your examples. Yes they might come from the same depot, but there will be different holding tanks in the depot for each company with different grades of fuel which have had different additives added.
<O:p></O:p>
Sainsburys/Tescos fuel is cheap because it is bog standard low-grade (ignoring the 100 Ron stuff). Shell & BP's fuel is the best out there simply because of the source from where the oil originally came from and the additives that have been added.
Many tests have been done to show the before & after MPG/<?: prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><ST1:STOCKTICKER>BHP</ST1:STOCKTICKER>/condition of valves etc differences between cars running on Shell V-power petrol compared to other Super-Unleaded petrol and V-power has always won hands-down.
I can't comment on V-power diesel but if it's anything like the petrol version then the extra £5 or so a tank will be money well spent.
As mentioned above I filled up with V-Power diesel the other day (1<SUP>st</SUP> fill up after buying my Kuga) and could feel the difference straight away.
My wife used to have a Ka and we always put V-power in it and I can honestly say it felt much smoother andnippier than on standard petrol. On my big engined or turbo/supercharged cars in the past the difference has been huge using V-power.
(And no I don't work for Shell or any of the oil companies.)Edited by: Space Cadet

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hi, Space cadet,
thanx, interesting reading I've never given this much thought before and put in whatever petrol (soon to be deisel) or whatever garageI am near.

I will have to start monitoring differences between suppliers and see.

Slimus.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Thats maybe so but I will never pay the ridiculous price that they want for these "better" fuels. If you want an additive in your fuel buy it seperatly and put in your fuel every soo often, saving money!! None of my cars have suffered because of supermarket fuel. And as far as the mpg is concerned it will probably work out the same, you pay more for the fuel and get slightly more mpg, less mpg so people say but cheaper fuel!! And the Ka goes really well on what it gets so wont be changing it! In Edinburgh Asda etc sit about 100.9 for diesel and BP is 105.9!! The first is way too expensive so I'm definetly not paying extra because it makes the car "feel smoother" I need more convincing before I change

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Read all your posts with interest and thought I would do my own test. I have been using BP Ultimate for the last 10 days instead of Tescos best. I was a bit cynical about 'better' fuels but I can honestly say that the Kuga is runningmuch moresweetly. There is certainly more 'umph' and it ticks over very smoothly. Asked my husband if he had noticed any difference and he said funny I had mentioned it as he had found it too. However, his theory is that now it has 10k on the clock the diesel engine is more bedded in.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I once had a friend a few years back you was a tanker driver for one of the big companies. according to him they fill the tankers up with whatever comes into the depot, ussually by ship tanker. it's all the same stuff and it makes no difference.

my addage is, if they are advertising to say it's better, then they are probably lying through their fuel cap!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I work for a multi-national insurance company that insures a big percentage of the depots, refineries, petrochemical plants, pipelines, platforms and drilling rigs world-wide and I can categorically confirm that no ""it's not all the same stuff""�. Different well locations around the world produce different ""˜quality' oil, its then how this is refined and blended and what additives are added along the way as to which petrol-station brand buys it, because of price and then from what depot it comes from.
<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
Yes Tescos might buy the same petrol that ESSO does for example, or yes Shell's standard unleaded might be the same as BP's standard unleaded, but to say they are all the same is simply not the case.

One depot will have many holding tanks, potentially with different specification fuels in each, so just because different branded lorries all drive in the front gate doesn't mean they are all filling up from the same tank.

I have been to a lot of the depots around the country and many refineries around the world and pretend to know a little about what they do (I have to as its my job), Shell add a considerable amount of additives to their petrol V-Power, like I say I can't confirm regarding their diesel but understand it is likewise.

Just my little test when I filled up with V-Power diesel confirmed the feeling, at least, of more power and smoothness and I'm not lying through my fuel cap.

At the end of the day, this is all getting a bit out of hand, those who don't want to put ""˜V-power' don't have to, those that want to can, we live in a democracy after all.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I also run a 6 year old Fusion 1.6 which I fill up with Tesco 99 octane and it runs superbly with no flat spots etc and returns about 39 to the gallon. I use the Kuga most of the time and always use BP Ultimate dieseland can honestly say that the car runs smoother and the engine is a lot quieter than running on bog standard diesel. I reckon the extra is well worth it just to have a better performing car, Kuga is currently doing 39mpg in a mixture of jouneys.

Raymondo111

·
Registered
26 Posts
Try BP Ultimate petrol or ideally V-Power petrol next time in your Fusion, you will loose 0.odd% bhp due to being 99Ron rather than 100Ron but it should run even smoother still and the cleaning additive will benefit a 6 year old car more rather than the extra 1Ron.Edited by: Space Cadet

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have recently been to Italy and back covering 4.5k miles to boot, on my way from northern England I filled up at the supermarket, I put some injector gear in as well, from then on I filled up with what ever I could, France, Germany, Switzerland and Italy, not once did I meet up with a BP garage. however whist in and around Italia the car played up now and again, as though it was missing, only now and again, this happened mostly on acceleration/demand for power.
On my way home the car did the same, UNTIL I managed a half fill of BP at Reims France, this gave me 50/50 mix cheap fuel and BP, the difference in performance was immediate albeit the missing was still present but less frequent, I managed another half fill of BP at Dunkirk giving me a 75/25 mix, BP/cheap.
From landing at Dover and the drive up North gave me trouble free motoring, I filled up again in Chester giving me a near 100% full tank of BP Fuel, I can vouch that spending that bit more on premium fuel BP improves the overall performance of the car.....in this case Ford Kuga Mk1 AWD 2lt 136ps.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I nearly always use Tesco Diesel, and have for many years.No problems evident.I used Sainsbury's once recently and that made the car very juddery at low speeds. Back to Tesco and no problems.

·
Registered
284 Posts
On my 2013 136bhp diesel I had a problem with a 'pinking' type noise, like some old petrol engines used to do, I then changed to premium fuel and the problem disappeared. I don't get that with my 2016 180, seems to go well with any fuel.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I used Tesco Diesel on a Focus 1.5TDCI (64) and it was terrible.
Switch to a branded name and it was back to normal in 1 tank.

Friend ran her Focus 1.0l Petrol (66) on Tesco Super unleaded, complained it was lagging and felt let it was low on power. Told her to use just a normal branded fuel and she has reported the car feels so much better and would never go back. This was Tesco's super unleaded!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Clearly Space Cadet is correct that the various different fuels mustbe genuinely different as selling a single basic fuel product as differently identified and priced variants would be a clear breach of UK/EU consumer law. The wider argument about cheap supermarket fuel v premium fuel is a different matter. Fuel is prepared to set standards that are carefully controlled and rigorously enforced (at least in the UK where the fuel standard is directly linked to excise duty chargeable) so the cheapest fuel should still be fully fit for purpose. Lower supermarket prices tend to be less about the fuel itself and more about economies due to bulk purchasing and the thinner margins that supermarkets can live with (their filling stations are part of the overall store turnover) and the higher overall sales volumes that they can achieve. My (limited) understanding is that engines are designed to work with an established fuel standard and for wholly practical reasons most road car engines are optimised to work most efficiently with standard road fuels. Benefits claimed for premium fuels and additives are all a bit dubious with few if any able to provide a credible mechanism for how they can improve fuel performance beyond its basic burn rate. So, in my view, if you feel better using a premium fuel then that's good but if, like me, you are happy with supermarket brands then that is also good. As for horror stories of engines eating themselves as a result - they are just that and there is no factual basis for them.
Edited by: Oldboy

·
Registered
284 Posts
I think it is factual that premium fuels will keep your engine cleaner and more efficient over time, which is good if you intend to keep your car for a number of years. Of course the downside is paying a lot more.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts