Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I am looking to purchase a nearly new Kuga automatic and after some advice on which model is better diesel, petrol, 2wd, Awd etc.
I quite like the idea of the 1.5 petrol awd as it has the old school auto box which I am lead to believe is more reliable the power shift !!

Regards Ian

·
Super Moderator
2,180 Posts
The petrol auto drinks like a fish and anything above mid-high 20's mpg around town should be considered a bonus.

Do you need AWD?

If not then a 2,0 Diesel is your choice (high 30's at least around town).

'Nearly new' Powershifts have most, if not all, of the issues ironed out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the 1.5 petrol AWD Auto. find it a excellent drive it's no worse or better than any petrol auto of comparable size on fuel consumption.I get high twentys running about town and if i set cruise to 65 on motorway journeys achieve 40 mpg. The torque converter gearbox is excellent and also has paddle shift on steering wheel if needed,if mpg is not a great concern you find it a very quiet, smooth and powerful with 180bhp kuga .

·
Registered
287 Posts
There have been loads of posts recently about the merits of petrol vs diesel and really it’s a personal choice. I have the 1.5 AWD auto petrol, which as I’m now retired and don’t drive many miles suited me better. I have driven around 7000 miles since purchase and on the Fuelly app has given average mpg of 31.9. The worst mpg around town is 18.4 and the best on a motorway run is 37.4. I recently had a loan AWD diesel for three months and it was really noticeable how good it was on fuel. Mine is the first petrol car I have owned for over twenty years so it was quite a change. Both petrol and diesel Kugas are good to drive and I’m sure you will be pleased with either one. I had a Disco Sport previously and the auto gearbox was abysmal, really frightening when pulling out into gaps in the traffic, but on both Kugas it is really great, really smooth changes.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
The petrol auto drinks like a fish and anything above mid-high 20's mpg around town should be considered a bonus.
I've got a long term average of 28MPG with the 2.0l EcoBoost petrol. Mostly suburban driving, transmission always in "S" and not driving for economy.
'Nearly new' Powershifts have most, if not all, of the issues ironed out.
Would you take the gamble though with your money??? If it's a long term keeper then the torque converter auto in the petrol models has a better track record.

As already mentioned the driving habits should be factored in when weighing up buying a diesel. If you do a lot of short trips then it's probably not a wise choice when there's a DPF fitted.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
2017 on Powershifts "should" be more reliable than the early ones (due to Dual Mass flywheel).

I wouldn't own one out of warranty though.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
I would suggest taking a petrol and a diesel for a spin and see which you prefer. I have a 2 litre diesel used for short runs only and had no dpf issues.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
It can sometimes be the lick of the draw on DPF issues.
I’ve no idea how many short runs over what period of time it would take for a fault to appear.
We can go a week or two without a decent run, ie over 50 miles and the rest are 2 miles to wakey centre and back, wait a few hours for the boss to request a taxi and do it again.

Out of 5 Kugas only one of the mk1s had any issues with a DPF and it was a sensor somewhere at hundred and odd quid to fix. The crap gear change and a new clutch was a different game and another story.

People aren’t very wise when choosing was fuel to go for but I think dealers have got a bit savvy and ask the right questions these days.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Our 2013 Mk2 2l Diesel does a big majority of 2 mile runs as well and no DPF issues with 3 years of those.

The MK2 seems a lot more robust in that respect.

I personally wouldn't go back to petrol, I like the low rpm grunt of a diesel, plus we tow a 1550kg caravan occasionally..

·
Registered
226 Posts
Another factor to take into account is the cost of the initial car (if buying new) and fuel (petrol is 4p cheaper) . Although I had a diesel S-Max for 11 years from new I couldn't justify spending at least £2000 more on a diesel and another £2-£4000 on top for Auto and AWD. I only use mine around town and occasionally for some long distance driving such as annual holidays so I do around 3000 - 4000 miles a year. It is a big difference the mpg compared to my old S-Max TDCi but better than my previous Focus ST 2.5 before that. I also had no DPF issues either (I regularly used to take it out for a blast once a week) although nowadays they seem to be much more reliable. Also the Bluefin has solved the low torque issues now anyway on the 1.5 ecoboost.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts