Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all haveing recently purchased our 2015 kuga titanium x I was concerned about the alloy wheel cleaner and the acidic property's contained to remove brake dust etc,so have been looking for alternative product and after numerous try's with different things I have tried sugar soap with great results being non acidic and gentle on hands and oversprayed body work it has given good results with no damage to wheels,the outher thing I have noticed because it can also be used as a home sanitizer I now seem to no longer suffer from cats spraying wheels when parked on drive...hope this is useful to you all..and at a £1 spray bottle is very good value.i also use it to spray windscreen and this decreases same with no damage to rubbers or paint

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
As sugar soap is a high alkaline isn't there an issue with it attacking the alloy of the wheel.Caustic soda is used to dissolve alloy in industrial applications.

Edited by: Ozekuga

·
Registered
418 Posts
I use Bilt-Hamber Auto-Wheel cleaner. It works fantastic and is pH Neutral.
<h1 itemprop="name" style="margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0.75em; margin-left: 0px; padding: 0px; color: rgb113, 113, 116; font-weight: normal; font-size: 1.2em; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;">
</h1>

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nothing corrosive just read rear of bottle,used it for three years on my prior vehicle ( Jaguar XF R sport ) when sold looked good as new

·
Registered
7 Posts
mark-essex said:
I use Bilt-Hamber Auto-Wheel cleaner. It works fantastic and is pH Neutral.
<h1 itemprop="name" style="margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0.75em; margin-left: 0px; padding: 0px; color: rgb113, 113, 116; font-weight: normal; font-size: 1.2em; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;">
</h1>
<!--if gte mso 9>
<w:Word>
<w:View>Normal</w:View>
<w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom>
<w:punctuationKerning/>
<w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/>
<w:SaveIfInvalid>false</w:SaveIfInvalid>
<w:IgnoreMixed>false</w:IgnoreMixed>
<w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>
<w:Compatibility>
<w:BreakWrappedTables/>
<w:SnapToGridInCell/>
<w:WrapTextWithPunct/>
<w:UseAsianBreakRules/>
<w:DontGrowAutofit/>
</w:Compatibility>
<w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel>
</w:Word>
<!-->

Ditto with mark-essex, I've used Bilt-Hamber Auto-Wheel
cleaner on my last 3 C-Max, also when it cleans the wheel it leaves a protective
layer on it so it's easier for next time and instead of buying the 1 lt bottles
I get the 5 lt it works out cheaper.

My last C-Max which I got rid of 2 weeks a go, the front callipers went rusty,
and the Ford dealer said it was because of the alloy wheel cleaner I was using,
so I got in contact with Bilt Hamber and they emailed me a technical print out
to give to the dealer to prove the Bilt-Hamber Auto-Wheel cleaner could not
rust the callipers, so the dealer replace both front callipers, deep joy.

I was on the C-Max owners club, but as the C-Max has gone now so I've have
migrated over to here, and I must say my 2 week old new Kuga is completely different
to my C-Max Titanium X, apart from the SYNC 3 Screen freezing twice and the
second day I had it, I drove from Plymouth to Hebden Bridge and the Navigation
showed my driving though fields on the M6-M62, so the dealer wants it back to
run a diagnostics and make sure the Maps are up to date.

<!--if gte mso 9>
<w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156">
</w:LatentStyles>
<!--><!--if gte mso 10>

/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-parent:"";
mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin:0in;
mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman";
mso-ansi-language:#0400;
mso-fareast-language:#0400;
mso-bidi-language:#0400;}

<!-->

·
Registered
418 Posts
I use quite a lot of Bilt-Hamber products, their clay bar is excellent. Annoying this is that they are located about 1 mile from my house but because of issues with their insurance company they are no longer allowed to sell over the counter. I can go in there and speak about products but have to come away and order online!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Since getting my Kuga last November I've struggled to clean the alloys, having to really scrub them to get the dirt off, I'd even coated them with Diamondbrite alloy wheel protector to no avail. Well after reading the recommendations for Bilt Hamber auto wheel cleaner I tried it today and the results are amazing, no more hands and knees scrubbing away, just left it a few minutes then hosed it off, all the muck was gone so thanks for the great advice.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Not sure if that was my post you read, but it's what I use, excellent stuff.

Really annoying that they are about 2 miles from my house, but for insurance reasons they do not sell over the counter there!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Someone has recently mentioned Trolls breath for cleaning the wheels anyone else used it?

I have a newish vehicle my wheels are normally cleaned with fairy liquid-this cleans them up great, my problem is that I have noticed what appear to be freckle's [definitely appears brake contamination] its not corrosion, the culprit is sitting on top of the painted alloy - if you get what I mean......the spots/freckles are still there after washing the wheel. This morning I nipped to Halfords and ended up buying McGuire's wheel cleaner-which changed colour etc.....after spraying onto part of the wheel, then washing after a few minutes the marks are still there...….anyone got any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
1,901 Posts
Stardrops is brilliant and the Stardops Pink Stuff is amazing at removing cr*p from alloys.

Can't understand why anyone needs to pay more for wheel cleaning products than the princely sum of £1.00 that Pink stuff costs.

·
Premium Member
Kuga Titanium X 2014
56 Posts
I use dedicated wheels cleaners but I’m interested to try the pink stuff, does it bump off tar then?
i have a non-acidic cleaner for maintenance washes and a acid wheel cleaner for heavy soiled cars, but still need to get the tar remover or fallout remover sometimes.
I coat my wheels with a wheel sealant Fk1000p I think it’s called from memory, cheap heat resistant sealant, re apply when the wheel bead is non existent

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Alloys, nice but a pain in the rear. You can spend a lot of time on them and in no time at all, it’s all ruined by even the most shortest of drives. The always seem so faffy to do as well. At least the Vignale wheel have a blackened inner rim which means there’s not as mush work needed.

·
Premium Member
Kuga Titanium X 2014
56 Posts
Alloys, nice but a pain in the rear. You can spend a lot of time on them and in no time at all, it’s all ruined by even the most shortest of drives. The always seem so faffy to do as well. At least the Vignale wheel have a blackened inner rim which means there’s not as mush work needed.
Nail on the head mate! On a maintenance wash il will just give the wheels a quick spray with wheel cleaner and let it dwell whilst inspray car with pre wash and then jet wash them down, then spray more on the wheels and clean them with wheel brush and wheel mitt, and that's it but when the wheels start to show signs of tar and contaminants building up ill use a more intensive method - this depends on how much time I have but I generally do this every couple months as I'm not so fussy on my own motor these days haha

1 - 17 of 17 Posts