Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I would start a thread to see what sort of music you guys all like?

I'm "Old School Rock, Motown", late 60's & 70's and a little 80's stuff.

My very favourite..………………….
Just to keep us all talking about something different.

·
Super Moderator
1,792 Posts
I used to DJ and Motown, Chess and Stax were our stalwarts but my taste ranges from renaissance music from the 14th century, through prog rock (I was at school with Rick Wakeman) to Gregory Porter and Elbow.

Anything except rap.

Funny that you should post a clip of our 'local boys', Pete Townshend's mum and dad used to run an antique (junk shop) nearby and I used to go to youth club with his younger brother Simon.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Well I was a young lad in the 60's, a teenager in the 70's, a dad in the 80's and again in the 90's. Surviving in the noughties, a grandad in the 10's and in the 20's trying to stay away from people and trying not to breathe their air.

I like music from most of those eras with exception to most 60's and 70's of which I am not keen on. Queen is possibly the only band from my growing up years I like. Obviously some records from some bands I like. Don't mind a bit of rock. Absolutely hate Motown and Beatles which include Wings too. 70's was not a good time for me and there was a lot of carp music from that era. Some good stuff from 80's when the videos started to take off. I still remember some of Duran durans videos. Don't remember too much from the 90's as that was the kids growing up years. I remember my daughter making me watch her Take That video and thinking what a show the boys put on.

I quite like the modern stuff to be honest. Some current artists have some real nice well written songs and have taken it to the next level. Something that Queen always managed to do and not stick to what is the norm at the time. For me the most talented will always be able to do that and go from generation to generation. Meat Loaf bat out of h3ll will be an all time classic for me. I am sure there are lots more. I always check new TV, tablet, phone etc with Katy Perry videos as she uses a lot of colour but I sometimes find it hard to concentrate on the colour! Some of Sam Smith's stuff I like, Pink. No particular favourite artist or genre. Relax by Frankie goes to Hollywood, Angels by Robbie Williams, Chasing Cars by Snow Patrol, all classics for me as one off tracks.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Like most people, I love the music I grew up with, so '70s and '80s for me, along with some of the best the '90s had to offer. However, I always have some specific '60s, '50s, or even '40s songs in my playlist

·
Registered
221 Posts
I like lots of others have a real varied taste with a real mix I like and listen to. My current favourite at the moment is the sound track from Local Hero by Mark Knopfler.
Think whilst I’m stuck in doors for the next three months I might try to learn to play the guitar again, I did try when I was really young, I got the teach yourself book by Bert Wedon ( only people of my age will remember him) but didn’t learn to play many cords as it made my fingers bleed.

·
Registered
6,540 Posts
I'll listen to literally anything that makes me listen to it.

Yes Bert Weadon, and learnt to play on a WEM (that was Watkins Electric Music if anyone remembers) red Strat copy, then a Les Paul copy which I dropped an broke the neck, in 1974 got myself a real Strat which I still have and when the house is empty, it gets played.

Any Drummers, listen to the snare on Last Christmas by Wham.

And this are interesting. (well I thought so). Listen to the difference between the first two

·
Super Moderator
1,792 Posts
Ah, the WEM Copicat - a wonderful piece of kit as sold at Dave Sims Music Centre in Ealing (one of my two local music shops) as frequented by Yes, The Strawbs, Supertramp et al.

The other music shop of note in Ealing was Marshalls, owned by the 'King of Loud' Jim Marshall later of Marshall Amplification - a wonderful drummer who gave me my first drumming lessons from his home in Brentford,

·
Registered
6,540 Posts
The copy cat was a super piece of kit, always had a few spare tapes made up and never kept in the same box as the copy cat.. Our outlet was Kitchens and John Schearers in Leeds.

So did you listen to the snare triplets on Last Christmas?

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just thought I would post up a couple of exceptional videos for you:
The first is a compilation of photos with a classic song from Hendrix cover.
The second is one if not THE best ever guitar solo from David Gilmour.

I have 3 Electric guitars (Epiphone SG, Epiphone Explorer, Cort Strat) Washburn acoustic and 2 Marshall amps, plus my old "Trixon" drum kit in the loft.
So yes I love my music.

·
Registered
6,540 Posts
Gilmore enjoyed that you can tell? I guess you gigged then Harry. Large youth clubs and universities this end in the 70s.

NIce line up of guitars you have. 3 years ago got a Pavey bass for fun and I still have an old Antoria acoustic which was to show that in the 70s a £90 acoustic could sound bright. Still like my Black Strat (with Fender Deluxe 112plus), Dod Tec 4 and Boss GT-1 effects.

I have a nephew who has drums and he shows me how he can play :)

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes mate I did same with youth clubs too back in 73-75 had a band entered in "Pub entertainer of the year awards" But was playing my drums in the band then...………….absolutely loved them days.

But playing drums on your own now would sound a little weird and the neighbours wont take kindly to that either, I must admit tho my Marshall 100mg DFX sounds awesome when only half way wound up.
Played through an "M-AUDIO black box" Amp simulator, so it can sound like a Vox ac30 or even a JCM Marshall lead amp.
Marshall mg30 DFX is up in back man cave with my white cort strat and gets played when I'm spose to be fixing fings as you do ;)

·
Registered
6,540 Posts
Yes great days. We never played the pubs, 'gentle Rock' you know, without roll, except when we were practising, strange that. In the band we had Marshal PA, everything miked up. Marshall's are always loud and punchy as you know.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did you know that the Marshall sound was down to Pete Townsend from "The Who" ?
Townsend knew Jim Marshall and asked him to make an amp that was the loudest ever...……….THE Marshall was evolved and the story continues with "Hand wired" all valve amps ( of which I cant afford).
Although "The Fender twin reverb silver front" is one of the most expensive out there (seen one in Gracelands Elvis used on tour) when I visited Memphis.

·
Registered
6,540 Posts
I gathered so regards the intervention of Townshend with Marshall (from the BBC 4 Friday evening music documentaries). I wont say who he, is but there's a member on here who has a lot (more than a lot) of history with the Who. Yes the valve amp has components in there (Valve, large audio output transformer) that add a certain hue to the sound compared to solid state,barely seen even when viewed on a scope but noticeable to the ear, but the Hand wired made Marshall some money being first one to shout about it. Crazy, really, in my youth I was brought up on the transistion from valve to transistors and built and rebuilt small valve amps from Practical Wireless for my as then, mono record player deck. Valves used to bite though when messing about with 200V on them. Progressed to transistors as they didnt need little heaters like valves to make them work of course.

As I've said though I'll listen to anything that makes me listen, whatever form.

·
Super Moderator
1,792 Posts
Jim Marshall's first shop was on Hanwell broadway (Uxbridge Road) and was a regular visit for me at the weekend. A long narrow place there was always a talented guitarist or two trying out their latest 'dream axe'. Allegedly Hendrix was a regular visitor but I know no-one who actually saw him there. Eric Clapton and Jimmy Page yes (really nice bloke) and Ritchie Blackmore (really quiet) but no Hendrix.

Hanwell still has the Hanwell Hootie (a one day festival of music over fifteen pub and open venues) dedicated to Jim whose company offers sponsorship and Hanwell still has street signs dedicated to the 'Home of Loud'.

The Hootie is the largest totally free one-day music festival, AFAIK, in the UK,

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm an Iron Maiden sort, like all the old rock stuff, Pink Floyd, Rammstein, Judas Priest, Soundgarden, and also the atmospheric trance stuff, like a bit of Hybrid, Orbital, William Orbit, Prodigy....... anything that's not modern or rap really.

·
Registered
6,540 Posts
Raps good on volume 0

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
For those of you who remember this song but was sung by "Golden Earing" the original version.
This has to be up there with the original.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts