Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I do know that as of now almost none of the Kuga owners are charging their battery to a mains due to the issue.
The question is based on the scenario once this is sorted then what options do we have.

When doing some searching I could see that Vauxhall is giving 3 months of polar charger subscription free and Mitsubishi is giving one or two year sub free.

Since Ford is not giving anything what are the current owners of Kuga doing.

What I am mainly after is do I have to take more than one subscription to utilise the chargers available in the parking lots and railway stations or if I just get one subscription from any of the companies would that help me use the chargers of other companies too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
One route to help you figure out what might suit your particular needs is to start by looking at Zap-Map on a web browser.

Zap-Map aim to list on a map every charger location in the UK. You will see who runs each unit, if the charger is available and comments from users. You can then figure out the minefield that currently exists in the UK.

Take time to study the companies before selecting your best options.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok so basically it is based on the location you are in rather than one good subscription for entire UK

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes.

In Scotland I can buy one RFID card for £20 from ChargePlace Scotland, which is run by the company Charge Your Car on behalf of the Scottish Government.

Scotland seems to be the only area where there is a single charging network available, 1000 or so points. Also the vast majority are tariff free to charge once the yearly card has been purchased.

My challenge is travelling south and figuring out which company to go with.

As these are two or three weeks long spells I will use apps where I pay a higher rate but am not tied to any long term contract or buying an RFID card that gathers dust most of the year.

It appears that the motorway service stations are covered by Ecotricity, accessed by the Electric Highway App. Looks like you can access a charge point via the app as a guest, enter details, and payment and chsrge away.

One other point I have noted, some of the companies take a first fixed higher payment amount, to prove the payment card is valid. After charging the amount you should actually pay will not appear on your statement for a number of days, after which the correct payment is entered.

I think this only occurs for what is in effect "pay-as-you go".

The above ignores the Tesla charging network.

As a reminder all points currently available for all networks can be found via Zap-map including cost details and if they are currently available or are in use.

Disclaimer, I have no association with Zap-Map or any charge company, etc - just waiting for my Kuga PHEV to be delivered after being gated on 5th Aug.

Current delay actually suits me, I just had a cataract op yesterday so it will be 4 or 5 weeks before the "new eye" will be properly ready for driving!!

·
Registered
280 Posts
It was in our local paper recently that they are trying to arrange a list of local homes with a fitted car charger to allow people to park and charge for a set fee. They were trying to work a way to arrange for folk to be able to pay by card and then pay the owners, but haven’t heard anything since. It could perhaps work particularly in areas with new homes that have to include car chargers. The main prob I think was the different electricity costs and day time charge rates.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Regarding home charging units being used by other users, you might wish to read up on Zap-Map regarding their newly introduced Zap-Pay payment scheme.

Also any charge point owner can add their point via the app to the system.

The listing would include payment costs per each location plus the times when the unit is available for other users plus location details.

In essence the flexibility is already available in Zap-Map but is not perhaps yet understood.

Can I suggest you make the local paper aware of this - I think there is no need to reinvent the wheel.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Thanks GordonM,
I think there is still quite a lot of confusion about with all the different systems, but the Zap-Pay / Map sounds perfect. I will forward the details to our local rag as they obviously are unaware, seems so simple.

Reactions: GordonM

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
unfortunately zap-pay is still not the complete solution,
They have partnered with engenie so they can only work on the charging stations operated by engenie.

Most of the other ev stations which are managed by polar or other companies still need separate subscriptions or apps to use them.
I guess we would be in this mess for a couple of years till there is some single solution in UK for charging points.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I agree that it is currently a "mess", I was shocked when I first investigated charging.

The point I belive is that Zap-Map intend to be the long term single point of pay-as-you-go with no need to sign up to contracts as quoted by them ìn their full faq Zap-Pay section part of which is quoted here :-

"Where can I use Zap-Pay?
Engenie, the UK-wide rapid charging network, is the Zap-Pay launch partner and will be the first network available on Zap-Pay.
This will be followed by the next wave of signed-up Zap-Pay partners including the rapid network ESB EV Solutions, LiFe, and Hubsta.
Following from this Zap-Pay will be rolled out across UK networks later in the year and into 2021, providing unique and unrivalled coverage across the whole country."

There is further information in their full faq on this topic.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts