Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a rattle from somewhere around the facia/glovebox/radio area for the last three months and the car has spent 4 days in total at the local dealer. Theyheard the rattle (I took them for a drive), and agreed it was there but haven't been able to find it.

They have even apparently discussed the matter with Ford Technical who had no suggestions to make.

Now the rattle which really was loud on poor road surfaces seems to have gone and I'm convinced it's something to do with the air con/heating system. When it was hot it rattled but now the heating is working rather than cooling it's stopped.

Has anyone had a similar experience? I don't want to let the garage off the hook as the car is now out of the first year warranty although it wasn't when the garage first took it in, but equally if I and they can't hear it any more, I don't know how I can get it resolved. I just have this dread of it starting again next year when the weather gets hotter and of course by then Ford and the dealer won't want to know, unless at my cost no doubt!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
when this rattle occurs, try applying pressure by hand to your radio, either the silver part or the blac area, this is a problem i am having, the 'techs' at the garage made a mess of my radio while trying to fix the problem, so tomorrow i'm getting a new radio, facia and gear knob.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I had this and it drove me mad for days, I was pressing and hitting the radio, vents, facias etc et untill ..................................... I realised it was my sunglasses rattling in the flip down holder thing

Just a thought.

·
Registered
55 Posts
A fellow sufferer....

I have had this isse for 9 months that has meany 6 visits to the dealer who still don't even acknowledge there is a rattle. I am losing my pateince with them and told them to have the car for a week since they claim not to ever have heard it.

The themes I have noticed are that:

1 the rattle is common when cold / just staring out

2 often triggered by the road surface (ripples rather than potholes)

3 it happens when overloading the engine in too high a gear

4 it happens after a couple of hours on high speed motorway drives and then really sets in

5 pressing the radio or air vent, pulling the dash towards you from the top cubby hole -stops it

temporarily.

6 & it is not the sunglasses (already took those out of the equation)

Despite all of that, it is so hard to pinpoint because there is a mass of wires and cables behing the dash.

It drives me mad.

Its in the dealers now and I have a replacement Kuga for a week and that has a perfectly silent dash - not a creak, groan or rattle to be heard.

Keep plugging away.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
I joined KOC when I ordered the Kuga a few months ago now and have read about some reallyinteresting tips, and sadly along with some problems/issues also. A rattle is something I have not experienced since I had a Mondeo (built in Belgium?) it was an absolute nightmare, after a week at our local Ford dealer (Quicks)they called in the Ford Tech's, to be fair they did confirm the problem existed, bizarrelythe creakingwas in and around frontscreen area, after using an x-ray machine? they identified the fact that several spot welds were missing, where the two struts were secured, luckily(or not) it was terminal and I never saw that car again, howeversecond Mondeo, was just as bad, had a whole raft of problems, rattles squeaks, gasket blown/leaks juddering clucthes, brake problems, trim out of alignment, water ingress, basically after 12 months, we'd hadenough, we vowed never to buy another Ford again? and traded up to a Toyota,not a single rattle nothing, couple of Vauxhalls, another couple ofToyota's and a Honda all perfectly fine. Incidentally the Honda was faultless nothing ever went wrong, alloys perfect as new even after four years, reading the problems members are now experiencing brings it all back, basic(build) quality issues is just poor. Sad to relate the Mondeo's we had, all those years agowas definately a car, "Built In A Hurry" a pattern seems to be emerging, but it's still early days, fingers firmly crossed.

·
Registered
266 Posts
...Here in Greece the weather it's still too hot and turning heat on, would probably transform the inside of the car into an inferno.The rattle comes from the point on the silver facia just below the right air vent and above the upper right corner of audio unit exactly where the facia meets the main dashboard.I think I'll try to gain access behind that point by removing the unused switch cap (1rst from top) and see what I can do.Thing is the noise is worsening and there isn't any obvious solution to solve this once and for all.
Nick

·
Registered
13 Posts
Does anyone still have this issue? As I may have a possible solution.

After two full days at my local Ford dealers they couldn't find or fix the rattle from the radio/facia so I bought removal keys and some sticky rubber strips. Removed the radio padded all areas where plastic made contact with plastic and still it rattled.

Scratching my head on the way to work last night I thought it would have to go back in to Fords. Then I removed the CD from the headunit and the rattle has stopped

Drove home last night without a CD in the headunit and not a peep.

Might be worth a try before letting Ford have your car for days on end and not being able to fix the fault.

Another trip to my local Ford dealer at some point to see if they will replace the radio under warranty now that I have done their job for them and detected the fault

Edited by: WelshKuga

1 - 7 of 7 Posts