Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Administrator
Ford Kuga 2013 Titanium X
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
There's been a number of posts lately about water leaking in to the boot, it's a well known problem so I have put this guide together to help people on where to look.

You may end up with a boot looking like this.

Just to note, the water can get underneath the rubber inner, so just so there's nothing in the spare wheel well, doesn't necessarily mean that there's none getting in.

So, there's a number of places that can let water in so it's worth checking them all. The roof rails are one of the places that can cause leaks. The rails can be removed and resealed use something like RTV.

Seal the bolt holes at each end of the rail.

Another place is the high level brake light, if you remove the centre section of the top tailgate trim you can access the brake light to check for any signs of leaking.

Also check the rubber grommets that connect the tailgate to the roof of the car, these have 3 clips that hold them in place but the rear one is easily snapped off if anyone has removed it to feed wires through.

If you drop the headlining down a bit at the back you can see where the wires come through the grommet, check around here for any water ingress.

Also check the tube to the rear washer, as it can leak around this tube too.

Just to add to this, there are flaps behind the rear bumper and its also possible for water to enter from them. You can access them from under the bumper to check if they're loose, unfortunately it's a bumper off job to repair them if they are loose.

Hopefully this gives a little insight as to where the water can get in and give people a starting point for investigating.

Mr. Helpful & Still a Moderator
Kuga, Titanium X Sport 2016
informative post Andrew thank you...... 馃槉馃槉

Reactions: andspenka

Registered
2015 2.0 TDCi Titanium X
Thank you for the detailed post. We have took the end caps off roof rail and sealed the screws but the wadding under the side panel on the left side is still wet at the bottom but not in the middle so any help would be appreciated as this is driving me crazy. Do you think I need a new weatherstrip around boot. Sorry if I don鈥檛 know the proper lingo for all this. All new to me. Thank you

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
@Liz17487 I would suggest getting someone to slowly run a hosepipe on the roof, ease the headlining down and peer inside checking to see if there's any water coming through the grommets. If not, then you can rule that part out. it will pay you to lift out the rubberised inner underneath the spare wheel as water can get under this too, especially if it's coming down behind the side plastic trim. If you can rule out that it's coming from above, then there are some flaps behind the bumper that can let water through.

EDIT: To add some pictures of the flaps.

They shouldn't move and should sit nice and flush like this.

The clips can be broken off

The water is flicked up by the rear wheels and fills the well behind the flap.

They need to be sealed up if they're loose.

Also, seal around the outside.

Registered
Mine was leaking exactly where andspenka post above shows, around the flexi rubber cable carrier into the tailgate. The water was collecting in the headlining above the front A pillar above the rear side window and in the side of the boot, the windows were really covered in condensation inside in the mornings.

Reactions: andspenka

Registered
2015 2.0 TDCi Titanium X
Mine was leaking exactly where andspenka post above shows, around the flexi rubber cable carrier into the tailgate. The water was collecting in the headlining above the front A pillar above the rear side window and in the side of the boot, the windows were really covered in condensation inside in the mornings.
Thank you for all your advice.

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have edited the above posts to add more pictures.

Reactions: Les and smartguy69

Registered
2016 Titanium X Sport AWD 2.0 auto Sync 3 retrofit
Hi all. I thought I would post in here to save keeping it in a relevant thread.

I have had my 2016 kuga for almost 2 years. Had a bit of wet in the boot never really thought anything of it. One day after a heavy rainfall I opened my sunglasses case and a waterfall tipped out (has never happened again since).
I had a puncture a few weeks back and changed the tyre and noticed the boot was sodden and finally last night decided to take the lining out etc and discovered a small swimming pool in the wheel well. Now I鈥檓 signed up to here after doing some research.
So I have read the thread, noted the possible offending areas, thankfully it鈥檚 rained in the night and the wheel well isn鈥檛 wet but the left side is. I have found these black bags full of something?! With Ford logos on them (near side is soaked) stuffed into the holes and a definite noticeable amount of water which looks as if it鈥檚 coming in from the near side. Before I start taking the bumper off and other things apart, does this indicate where it may be coming from?

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Check the flaps behind the bumper, you can easily access them from under the bumper. Put your arm up just behind the fog light and then you should be able to feel the plastic housing, it has bits of rubber flaps stuck on the outside. If they are solid, then check the headlining for wetness, if that鈥檚 dry, it would be an idea to get the panels off and get a hose pipe on the roof.

Reactions: Kuga2021

Registered
Check the flaps behind the bumper, you can easily access them from under the bumper. Put your arm up just behind the fog light and then you should be able to feel the plastic housing, it has bits of rubber flaps stuck on the outside. If they are solid, then check the headlining for wetness, if that鈥檚 dry, it would be an idea to get the panels off and get a hose pipe on the roof.
right. The near side one seems in place with nothing appearing broken but I can kind of shunt it about in situ. Should they be totally immovable?

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My passenger side (looking from the back of the car) one was solid, drivers side was loose and flapping about. There鈥檚 4 clips holding them on about 20mm from each edge on the top and bottom. If you have any movement at these places, then they probably aren鈥檛 held in as tight as they could be. On the passenger side the sunroof drain is just slightly above the flap so it鈥檚 possible that it could run down and get inside.

Registered
So I have taken the passenger side roof bar off and have discovered it鈥檚 all taped up. It鈥檚 this normal or does it look like a bodge?

Mr. Happy. 鈥淪weet Cheeks鈥
Kuga 2ltr AWD Titanium X, Midnight Sky.
I would get some silicone in there and make sure it's sealed properly mate.
All around them threads.

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Believe it or not, that's actually how they come. I fitted mine as the car didn't come with any when I bought it. Under the weather strip, there's a membrane that you need to puncture to get access to the mounting holes. The roof rails have self adhesive foam pads stuck on the bottom.

I used RTV, you need something that isn't going to harden otherwise it could crack and start leaking again.

I cleaned mine completely with IPA and sealed them up with RTV. Pictures at the start of the thread.

Reactions: smartguy69

Registered
So, I got the rear bumper off today and the vents shifted a little but were pretty solid. I didn鈥檛 bother taking them off but chose to run the sealer around them anyway to avoid any future issues.
I did pull too hard on one and snapped a piece off the bottom. Wonderful.....

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't know if you already had all the side panels and trim off but you don't need to take them off to remove the bumper.

Registered
So, I got the rear bumper off today and the vents shifted a little but were pretty solid. I didn鈥檛 bother taking them off but chose to run the sealer around them anyway to avoid any future issues.
I did pull too hard on one and snapped a piece off the bottom. Wonderful.....

View attachment 5851 View attachment 5852
I don't know if you already had all the side panels and trim off but you don't need to take them off to remove the bumper.
oh no. I鈥檝e taken it all out to dry and air out. Everything is soaked in there and there is surplus water inside the body work which I鈥檓 assuming (hoping) is from the boot liner which is pouring into the wheel well. I鈥檓 hoping that鈥檚 all drained now.
The boot liner is still drenched I may need to buy a new one to be honest.

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The boot liner is still drenched I may need to buy a new one to be honest.
I priced one up, they鈥檙e 拢144. I took mine out and dried it out!

Registered
2018 ST X line mk 2.5 1.5 Ecosport petrol, manual, colour blue with black alloys
Hello, just looking for some advice on this leaky boot. My 2015 has a puddle, I have no idea how to repair it myself so got it booked in at Ford Monday. I asked if this was a common fault and she said first she had heard. I didn鈥檛 mention this site, keeping it in my pocket for now. As anyone took theirs back to Ford out of warranty and had to pay? Thanks

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.