Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Having done a quick search, I did not see anything directly related to hearing water sloshing about in the tailgate when opening it! I had just washed the car (yes pressure washer, but I am careful) Anything known about the cause of the ingress that I missed?

·
Ford Kuga 2013 Titanium X
386 Posts
It is a common problem to have water ingress but not normally into the tailgate, are you sure it's in the tailgate?
How did you hear the sloshing? The Kuga has a tendency to slosh the fuel about in the tank when reversing, had you recently filled up?

The water ingress is usually into the boot area, predominantly the spare wheel well. There are a number of things to check, if the headlining is wet then it could be the grommets between the tailgate and the car, also the seal around the boot lid and the other place it could be coming from is the roof rails.

I have recently had water ingress, I removed the roof rails and resealed but it was still coming in. I finally traced it to the grommets.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is a common problem to have water ingress but not normally into the tailgate, are you sure it's in the tailgate?
How did you hear the sloshing? The Kuga has a tendency to slosh the fuel about in the tank when reversing, had you recently filled up?

The water ingress is usually into the boot area, predominantly the spare wheel well. There are a number of things to check, if the headlining is wet then it could be the grommets between the tailgate and the car, also the seal around the boot lid and the other place it could be coming from is the roof rails.

I have recently had water ingress, I removed the roof rails and resealed but it was still coming in. I finally traced it to the grommets.

Hi, its definitely 'in' the tailgate, I can literally hear it sloshing about as I open and close it... It must have gotten in as the car was washed with a pressure washer, I will check in the morning if it is still in there :S

·
Ford Kuga 2013 Titanium X
386 Posts
If it's in the tailgate, my first port of call would be the grommets.

·
2,869 Posts
Are there any drain holes in the tailgate? The water probably got forced in via the number plate light area.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are there any drain holes in the tailgate? The water probably got forced in via the number plate light area.
It looks like there are 2 at the bottom, but are sealed with some sort of tape from the factory by the looks of it. I had already thought about opening them up... I will see it the water has gone this morning or not and go from there ;)

·
2,869 Posts
Yes, I had a feeling that whole area was "sealed" from water and didn't have drains. You could pop the bottom of the interior trim off and see what you can find.

·
Registered
[ Phil ]
432 Posts
I was going to say it's just the fuel sloshing around in the tank, but if it's definitely in the boot door, I'd find a way to get it out before it trashes anything.

A friend of mine had a similar thing with the rear of his Mercedes ML and eventually it shorted out all kinds of electrics, including it randomly turning the headlights on and off, indicators and windscreen wipers etc (comical now, but daunting at the time) - several litres of water had got in somewhere somehow and trashed a load of electronics = expensive repair bill.

I guess more importantly, you need to hunt for where it's getting in in the first place 🤞

Reactions: lurch9494

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was going to say it's just the fuel sloshing around in the tank, but if it's definitely in the boot door, I'd find a way to get it out before it trashes anything.

A friend of mine had a similar thing with the rear of his Mercedes ML and eventually it shorted out all kinds of electrics, including it randomly turning the headlights on and off, indicators and windscreen wipers etc (comical now, but daunting at the time) - several litres of water had got in somewhere somehow and trashed a load of electronics = expensive repair bill.

I guess more importantly, you need to hunt for where it's getting in in the first place 🤞

Well most of it seems to have drained away somehow, (I think I can just about hear a little bit left possibly) The car was washed and pressure cleaned and I didn't think about it at first, but my lad washed off the back and can be a little too enthusiastic! I suspect he probably aimed the P-Washer lance up around the reversing lights... All the grommets on the tailgate etc look good, so I will just keep an eye on it and make sure the P-washer isn't aimed too close around there ;)

Reactions: DogDeluxe

·
Registered
[ Phil ]
432 Posts
Sounds like a plan (y) (y)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, a small update! After some heavy rain last night, I found the sloshing had returned (not had a chance to clean the car, so I cannot blame the pressure washer this time!) I looked further into drain holes and all I could find was a hole near each corner of the bottom of the tailgate. They both had quite strong, clear, circular stickers over them. Once I removed them, all the water came out, very strange. I still cannot find where it is getting in, but at least it won't collect now. Another first world Ford problem lol :)

·
Registered
[ Phil ]
432 Posts
Well, a small update! After some heavy rain last night, I found the sloshing had returned (not had a chance to clean the car, so I cannot blame the pressure washer this time!) I looked further into drain holes and all I could find was a hole near each corner of the bottom of the tailgate. They both had quite strong, clear, circular stickers over them. Once I removed them, all the water came out, very strange. I still cannot find where it is getting in, but at least it won't collect now. Another first world Ford problem lol :)
Well at least it can get out now, but yes, where's it getting in :unsure:

Maybe the clear stickers were from the manufacturing process and had forgotten to be removed?
I'll have a look on mine and see what there is, out of interest.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did wonder if it was something that was missed in the PDI maybe? I will try and get a pic of the holes tomorrow...

·
Registered
[ Phil ]
432 Posts
I did wonder if it was something that was missed in the PDI maybe? I will try and get a pic of the holes tomorrow...
Yeah, would be good to compare holes... ooh err missus (here we go again) :LOL:

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Must be good stickers if they can hold back that much water. Ford should have used those stickers on the MK1 bulkheads and in the mk2 rear seams.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Must be good stickers if they can hold back that much water. Ford should have used those stickers on the MK1 bulkheads and in the mk2 rear seams.
They were bloody hard to pick off, some kind of clear plastic about the size of a 5 pence piece, very flexible and strong...

·
2,869 Posts
I'd say you need to fix the leak wherever it's letting the water in. AFAIK the tailgate isn't designed to have water inside- sooner or later it will either cause rust or electrical problems.

Perhaps check both the rubber gaiters at the top where the electrical cables enter.

·
Registered
[ Phil ]
432 Posts
Yes, I'd be checking all those rubber sleeves and boots at the top of the boot's inside thoroughly for cracks, signs of wear or misplacement :unsure:

You may need to twist and distort the rubber purposefully, as any splitting often can't be seen until you do this.

Reactions: Les and lurch9494
1 - 20 of 21 Posts