Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wifes car is in for it's MOT today so I follwed her down to the garage in the Kuga, key in my pocket as usual. Drop her car off, and she jumps in and I drive to work, where we swap over and she drives the Kuga back to take the kids to school.

Half an hour later I get a call - the car won't start again - I still have the key in my pocket!! She has driven 7 miles back towards home while the key has remained in my pocket all along. Now she has a car which she can't start or lock!!

Just a note of warning - I'd been confidently telling everyone who doubted the security of such a system that the car would pack up 100 yards from the key, and merrily been starting the car on a frosty morning and going back indoors - I won't be doing that again!!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Wow, sorry for your inconvenience, but what a good story!! People will love it when you tell it at a birthday party
!

I would have expected it to stop after a few meters.
Good to hear this so that I try to avoid this in the future.
Sounds just like something that would happen to me.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm sure there was but as she seldom drives it probably didn't even see it! I could have sworn I was told when the car was being demo'd to me that it would shut down if the key got too far away!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Yes, there is a warning display if the keys are taken out of the car. I have started getting in the habit of keeping my keys, when I am driving, in the little sliding storage compartment by the hand brake to avoid that sort of thing happening.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Strange. In this thread 'It Won't Start' it appears that something different happened, as Freddie Kuga says:
A guy at my local dealer drove off on a test with the demo and came back 2 mins later to say the car stalled. Turned out the dealer had the fob in his top pocket and the car was out of range!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yeah, dealer said he didn't get out of the car park.

Do you have the keyless entry on the convenience pack? As the demo I drove didn't. It might explain the difference?

If you leave a key in the car and lock it in, it becomes void and won't let you start the car. Only the original can unlock and start. Must be a safety thing if you accidentally lock it in...

Makes me wonder if you leave the key in and lock using the door handle button....how do you get back in?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The car this happened on was the loan Kuga I got which was Titanium without convenience. My "old" kuga had c-pack and so will my "new" one - I might test it out when I get that on Saturday! But not too far away of course!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have been told that if you start the car with the keys present it will keep running until you switch off or it runs out of fuel. To start the car again obviously you need the key. There is no distance restriction...the engine will just keep going..
I have also been told to watch out for Mobile phone masts as these can interfere with the key system.

·
Registered
295 Posts
martychoc said:
I have also been told to watch out for Mobile phone masts as these can interfere with the key system.
Who told you this and what could it do??
these masts are everywhere and never keep an eye on them.
could this mean if I park it to close to a mast there is a chance it doesn't start??

sounds a bit strange (or unbelievable) to me to be honest

·
Registered
44 Posts
So the other day we were going out. Keyless unlocking. Then my wife says, think it's my turn todrive. So I go back to the the house to lock up and she says it won't start. Oh let me try. What a greatway to get back in the driving seat.

·
Registered
21 Posts
It happened to my sister in law although it was on a megane coupe. It was Keyless entry and she had parked the vehicle next to a mobile mast in a car park.
When she came back to the car it would not start so she called the aa.
They tried a few things and had to tow the vehicle away from the mast, it then started. The response from the aa was that the signal was being jammed.
Not sure if its the same system on the kuga but its certainly worth noting.
I do know though that when the vehicle is started it will continue to run even though the key is not present, it wont konk out down the road but as soon as you stop the engine it requires the key's signal.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i was at someones house and their rav4 wouldn't unlock and there was a BT engineer at the green box about 100m from the garage, so we went out in my car (was a focus parked on the other side of the house), got back, he was gone and the car magically unlocked

·
Registered
130 Posts
I work for a Mobile Network vendor an park directly under a Mobile Base station serving multiple networks and multiple frequencies and have never had a problem using the fob remote for locking/unlocking nor starting.

Because of the frequencies involved I have heard of issues near masts of the Police PMR system but.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Oh dear, serves me right for being so smug!

Dropped my daughter and some shopping off at home yesterday. Had to get out to unlock front door and left mother in law in Kuga with engine running ( hand brake was on!) Jumped back in to run her home and notced the 'I' display on dashboard. Asked MIL to check that her door was shut properly and muttered about the fact that someone must have left the boot slightly open.

Got to MILs house, luckily only about ten minutes away, turned engine off and went to get keys out of the safe foolproof place I always keep them ( see earlier post ) and you've guessed it- not there.

Luckily our neighbour was able to run them over to me but it made me appreciate all your points that had I driven some distance before realizing, it would have been a whole different story and not sure what I would have done

·
Registered
126 Posts
Just a note of warning - I'd been confidently telling everyone who doubted the security of such a system that the car would pack up 100 yards from the key, and merrily been starting the car on a frosty morning and going back indoors - I won't be doing that again!!
[/QUOTE]

When ordering my Kuga I asked the question with regards to the security of the keyless start and was told that if the key was not in the car the engine would cut out shortly after driving it away.
<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
I took this information from my dealer blindly and I have also been doing the same thing on cold frosty mornings by starting the car and coming back in leaving it running.

I won't be doing that again.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Didnt anyone see TopGear a few months ago, It was the USA show when JC moved hamsters Vette (I think) Hamster was in a dinerand JC went outside opened the car door and moved it to the middle of the road, with the keys remaining in hamsters pocket.

Just wondering has anyone tried opening the doors with the keys left in your house ?

If the key is close enough to the car say bye bye to your shiney new ford !!!!!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I have tried to start the ignition with the key in the house and it didn't start and a warning was displayed "key not present"

The obvious risk is leaving the engine running like I stupidly did.

·
Registered
69 Posts
ukbatman said:
Didnt anyone see TopGear a few months ago, It was the USA show when JC moved hamsters Vette (I think) Hamster was in a dinerand JC went outside opened the car door and moved it to the middle of the road, with the keys remaining in hamsters pocket.

Just wondering has anyone tried opening the doors with the keys left in your house ?

If the key is close enough to the car say bye bye to your shiney new ford !!!!!
You have to be pretty darn close - the missus and I spent most of our first day with our Kuga messing around with the range of the keyless! I think our test showed that it was around a metre from the car when it kicks in - the wife still runs back to check that it's locks when we walk off!

·
Registered
126 Posts
You do have to be pretty close with the keyless entry, sometimes when opening one of the back doors to put the kids in I have to step closer otherwise when pulling the door handle at arms length the door won't unlock as the sensors are only in the boot and front doors.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts