Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

Vini's PHEV B&O Audio Replacement Project/Build

20K views 74 replies 18 participants last post by  Vini 
#1 · (Edited)
So, one of the very first things I tend to do with my cars, is rip out the stock sound system, in place of a better one. This ones been keeping me awake at night since I ordered the vehicle in November, partly due to the costs, partly due to the fact not many others have done it and as I've found now "the time is here", the actual kit you need use, is impossible to find due to chip shortages, anyway, I've finally paid for the missing piece of the puzzle, by having to import the A2B module direct from Australia, so this has spurred me on to make a start, knowing I have everything (at least on order).

Now, my Kuga came with a "premium" B&O 10 speaker system. Everyones fully aware that all of these collaborations do not result in "premium" hardware, but, someone from a semi respectable audio brand has sat in the cabin, and fiddle with some knobs, to make it sound slightly better, to the point they're happy to stick their name to it. And, in fairness. For a stock setup, its actually not too bad. The centre speaker is useless/garbage, and the roll offs in the highs and lows is harsh. I think if they'd have given me some time alignment functionality, on the basis my mileage is massively reduced these days, I would have possibly live and let live, and been a happy chappy.

But, I'd spent a pretty penny on kit, even before I'd received the car, so I was somewhat committed, and I do love to tinker. (#ipadminimoto | Vauxhall Insignia | Hyundai IX35).

Anyway, here's my "build" plan/thread. I'll try and capture any How To type material for the How To section too...

Plan
Replace all speakers with aftermarket alternatives, improve the subwoofer whilst keeping the car looking "original" and retaining the factory headunit, along with factory sounds/chimes & all functionality without butchering the vehicle (it's only 3 weeks old o_O)!

As the tweeters and central speaker are powered from the headunit (Sync 3 APIM), my plan is to disconnect the centre speaker, for which I'll need to use the mObridge to re-align the chimes/sounds (I think). I'll then need to run new tweeter wiring to the front tweeters.

I intend to run Active Speakers up front, so both tweeter and woofer direct from the amp. The rear, will be passive, with the crossover fed from the stock wiring and then split out accordingly.

• Hookup power and ground from the 12v battery in the rear. (PHEV bonus! The 12v is in the boot already!)
  • Replace stock B&O Amp with mObridge DA-G2 A2B Standard pre-amp. (Located above the rear right wheel arch, next to the sub, under the shroud).
  • Run RCA's from mObridge to Helix DSP/Amp.
  • Feed Helix amplified sound back down the OEM wiring. (May need an additional harness knocking up depending on what the mObridge comes with. I think I've identified they're Molex STAC64 modules so I can knock something up - I've ordered a few of these on the off chance as they're cheap enough -- 2.84US $ |1pc for Ford Focus B&O module plug terminal 2X10 20PIN plug cable| | - AliExpress)
  • Run new tweeter wiring from the Helix up to the front dash.
  • Install door speakers & sub.
  • Apply sound deadening.

Kit
Hertz Mille Pro MPK165.3 2 Way Components for Front (New, £320 from CEN)
Hertz Mille Pro MP70.3 for Center channel (New, £160 from CEN)
Hertz Hi-Energy HSK165.2 2 Way Components for Rear (Previous Installs)
Hertz HX250D 10" Subwoofer (Previous Installs)
- Installed into a FBKolo02 "Basser" Sub Box (£140 from InCarProducts)
mObridge Ford A2B Standard Preamp (New, £650, Imported direct from mObridge AU)
Helix V Eight MK2 DSP & Amplifier (New, £850 from CEN)
Dodo Mat Deadn Pro Sound Deadening (New, £50 from CEN)
Dodo Mat Acoustic Liner (New, £50 from CEN)

Musical instrument Gadget Audio equipment Musical instrument accessory Electronic instrument

Concerns
Cost(!) and EV range post install, due to weight and battery draw.

See less See more
#45 ·
Can I just ask about the rubber liner in the last picture? Is that a Ford item or an aftermarket one?

Looks like what I'm after.
Genuine Ford, £50.

#46 ·
Oh, forgot to say it's been interesting seeing the stages of this installation. As others have said it's more than I'd like to do but would be pleased to complete a project like this.

#49 ·
I had a fiesta St-line courtesy car yesterday whilst mine was in for investigation of the "marbles in the engine" issue,
And it had the stock Ford sound system in (not B&O), and it sounded awful.
As much as the B&O system might not be perfect, it's a vast improvement over the stock Ford system (in the fiesta anyway!)

#51 ·
A bit offtopic question @Vini :
Front passenger door has connector for central lock switch? I am planning to add a central lock switch to the passenger door too but don't know if the connector is there or only for LED? Or LED connector is also serves as central lock switch connector?

#53 ·
It's not about during driving but when leaving the car with wife when jumping in to a store. She usually locks the doors, I don't know why they tought to leave the passenger door lock switch of EU market.
It exists for US and Asia....

Other hope could be that control module on door has such input but not used...

#54 ·
You just need to add one of these 'Party Thruster' controls, for that finishing touch :p

Tire Automotive tire Bumper Input device Automotive exterior

#59 ·
Fantastic - what is the audio controller your lapdog is connected to?

#62 ·
#72 · (Edited)
It’s been a while and not really much kicking recently… but I had been getting annoyed with tea splashing on my knob which was in the cupholder, so I have moved it…

I’ve also had a play with the Pedestrian Sounder but we don’t talk about that…

Automotive exterior Gas Bumper Electronic instrument Plant

Automotive design Automotive exterior Personal luxury car Vehicle Vehicle door

Automotive tire Gas Automotive wheel system Machine Engineering

Vehicle Car Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

Car Vehicle Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle

Gear shift Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Car

Car Vehicle Gear shift White Motor vehicle

Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive mirror Personal luxury car Automotive design

#74 ·
Hi Vini!

This build is still one of a kind!
I am wondering watching the photos how the 12V battery is keeping up with the currents? Or you only listen music when ignition/or ready mode so HV battery is fueling the system?
Did you get the power source from 12V battery or from some 12V spot in the fuse box?

#75 ·
12v has been just fine*. In my other builds I’ve had headlights/interior lights dim when the bass hits. But nothing of the sorts here.

*I did suffer the 12v drain issue so it went to Ford for Software updates, and touch wood has been fine since.

I’m powered straight from the 12v… handy having the 12v in the back! Saved me running front to back 👍👌