Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Grey Kuga ST Line X AWD
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys - A new addition the the KOC! I bought my, Grey, 2017 STline X Kuga, 2nd hand, last year - a great all round tool and I love it. I bought it from Hills Ford, Kidderminster - a very pleasant sales experience and worth the hour trip.
Over the year, there have been a few little noises in the cabin that started to develop/my OCD engineer mind started to notice ... I came across a few similar posts on here, so I thought post my detailed findings to hopefully help others.

- Rattle that was constant above 50mph around the passenger A/C vent and the gloss plastic trim above the glovebox - nearest the passenger door. A slight touch and it stopped. When partially removing the gloss trim I found that the last clip is a strange metal type. It looks as if it is crimped in place - unlike any trim clip I have ever seen. I found that crimp was only slightly loose and was able to rattle (took me ages to recreate the noise). I had to remove the glovebox to get underneath it. I managed to re-crimp it with some pliers and use a dab of silicone glue for good measure. I wrapped the other three regular trim clips with a thin foam tape. When pushing the trim back on, there are tabs that need to be located correctly above the ambient light strip - to support the trim. I also re-seated the passenger vent in it's hole. All gone!

- Glove box area. I thought it was stuff in the glovebox moving around but it was still there with it empty. I wrapped the 4 clips that fix it onto the dash with thin foam tape, I also put some foam padding on the U-nuts that the 3 inner glovebox screws go into. The bracket that holds the inner glovebox light wasn't the most secure, so I put a piece of double sided sticky foam under it ( I think that was the culprit). I also found there was a lot of harness wiring that go into a fusebox in the passenger footwell. This was not wrapped in felt tape and there were some areas where wiring could knock against the crash bar in the footwell so I secured these better. The screw holding the soft-close mechanism to the glove box was slightly loose, so I tightened that also. I haven't noticed this since, even with a full glovebox.

- Sync 3 area - 1st was a slight click in the top speaker/subwoofer grille in the centre of the dash over large bumps. Removing it and padding the tabs that secure it into the top dash trim did the trick. There were 2 other clicks; one in the radio button part of a dash and a click near the drivers side airflow control wheel on the top peaked dash trim. Removing and padding where the lower radio button/volume section of the sync3 clicks into the dash solved that one. The later was a little harder to find - lots of trial and error. I sured-up a lot of anti-rattle tape already in that area from the factory (it was very thin). But, eventually I found on underside the trim piece itself is a wire for the CD slot LED. Where it bends round, it could flex and click against the trim - light blob of silicone glue to stick it down and that got it!

- Sunglasses holder area. I thought it was my sunglasses, but it was still there with them removed. I got the glasses holder apart and found that the alarm sensor module was not fully secured, clicked it into place. I also found there is a large foam pad under the roof lining was unstuck, I could reach to it as I have pano roof, I re-stuck this - this has also gone.

- Cleaning and using gummi pflege on rubbers has also helped. The window channels are quite snug and hold crud well. So a good clean reduces wind noise and any noises from the windows.

Apart from the first rattle in the passenger dash area, these rattles/noises were not very bad, but they were noticeable. Once you're tuned into them, you can't bloody miss them - even with the radio up. Lots of tinkering and trial and error to cure them was needed, but wow, my labours were worth it. It is now smooth as silk and has that solid sound over lumps and bumps again.
Sorry for the lengthy post, I hope it helps others that notice noises in the cabin they want to get rid of. If you need assistance removing any trim mentioned, then just ask!

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Welcome to the forum. We are a friendly and helpful bunch and yours is an informative first post. I have the rattle around the glove box area although it has been quiet recently. If it returns I now know what to check.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hi Guys - A new addition the the KOC! I bought my, Grey, 2017 STline X Kuga, 2nd hand, last year - a great all round tool and I love it. I bought it from Hills Ford, Kidderminster - a very pleasant sales experience and worth the hour trip.
Over the year, there have been a few little noises in the cabin that started to develop/my OCD engineer mind started to notice ... I came across a few similar posts on here, so I thought post my detailed findings to hopefully help others.

- Rattle that was constant above 50mph around the passenger A/C vent and the gloss plastic trim above the glovebox - nearest the passenger door. A slight touch and it stopped. When partially removing the gloss trim I found that the last clip is a strange metal type. It looks as if it is crimped in place - unlike any trim clip I have ever seen. I found that crimp was only slightly loose and was able to rattle (took me ages to recreate the noise). I had to remove the glovebox to get underneath it. I managed to re-crimp it with some pliers and use a dab of silicone glue for good measure. I wrapped the other three regular trim clips with a thin foam tape. When pushing the trim back on, there are tabs that need to be located correctly above the ambient light strip - to support the trim. I also re-seated the passenger vent in it's hole. All gone!

- Glove box area. I thought it was stuff in the glovebox moving around but it was still there with it empty. I wrapped the 4 clips that fix it onto the dash with thin foam tape, I also put some foam padding on the U-nuts that the 3 inner glovebox screws go into. The bracket that holds the inner glovebox light wasn't the most secure, so I put a piece of double sided sticky foam under it ( I think that was the culprit). I also found there was a lot of harness wiring that go into a fusebox in the passenger footwell. This was not wrapped in felt tape and there were some areas where wiring could knock against the crash bar in the footwell so I secured these better. The screw holding the soft-close mechanism to the glove box was slightly loose, so I tightened that also. I haven't noticed this since, even with a full glovebox.

- Sync 3 area - 1st was a slight click in the top speaker/subwoofer grille in the centre of the dash over large bumps. Removing it and padding the tabs that secure it into the top dash trim did the trick. There were 2 other clicks; one in the radio button part of a dash and a click near the drivers side airflow control wheel on the top peaked dash trim. Removing and padding where the lower radio button/volume section of the sync3 clicks into the dash solved that one. The later was a little harder to find - lots of trial and error. I sured-up a lot of anti-rattle tape already in that area from the factory (it was very thin). But, eventually I found on underside the trim piece itself is a wire for the CD slot LED. Where it bends round, it could flex and click against the trim - light blob of silicone glue to stick it down and that got it!

- Sunglasses holder area. I thought it was my sunglasses, but it was still there with them removed. I got the glasses holder apart and found that the alarm sensor module was not fully secured, clicked it into place. I also found there is a large foam pad under the roof lining was unstuck, I could reach to it as I have pano roof, I re-stuck this - this has also gone.

- Cleaning and using gummi pflege on rubbers has also helped. The window channels are quite snug and hold crud well. So a good clean reduces wind noise and any noises from the windows.

Apart from the first rattle in the passenger dash area, these rattles/noises were not very bad, but they were noticeable. Once you're tuned into them, you can't bloody miss them - even with the radio up. Lots of tinkering and trial and error to cure them was needed, but wow, my labours were worth it. It is now smooth as silk and has that solid sound over lumps and bumps again.
Sorry for the lengthy post, I hope it helps others that notice noises in the cabin they want to get rid of. If you need assistance removing any trim mentioned, then just ask!
What is gummi pflege, Jakeystan93?

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
I've got the sunglass holder rattle. It sounds like it's coming from a different location- but isn't that always the case! Placing a folded tissue in opening and closing the sunglass holder on it works as a temporary fix. I know there's nothing loose above it as I retrofitted the UK spec sunglass holder with the alarm ultrasonics.

I get the front door trims rattling with bass from the speakers. Wedging some foam between the hard plastic speaker moulding and the door trim reduces it.

·
Registered
2017 Grey Kuga ST Line X AWD
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What is gummi pflege, Jakeystan93?
Exactly what smartguy69 says, it keeps the rubbers supple, available on Amazon, fairly cheap and comes in a sponge applicator bottle

1 - 8 of 8 Posts