Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Mr Modification
Ford Kuga MK2 16/12/2014 Titanium X Sport AWD 2.0TDCI 182PS 400Nm (T8MA) Manual Sync1
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Can anyone confirm... Front door window TOUGHENED glass and LAMINATED, could be replaced without any modifications?

It could be nice upgrade to finishing my sound deadening job :)

TOUGHENED - 2013 - 2015
Grey Sleeve Font Logo Asphalt Font Art Gas Label Drawing
LAMINATED - 2015 - 2019
Automotive design Rectangle Art Stairs Font Handwriting Font Art Circle Drawing

Attachments

Reactions: Devilish

Administrator
Ford Kuga 2013 Titanium X
I'm absolutely amazed, a post before you've actually started doing the conversion and get stuck halfway through cos you haven't researched it properly! Wonders will never cease 馃槀 馃槀 馃槀

Mr Modification
Ford Kuga MK2 16/12/2014 Titanium X Sport AWD 2.0TDCI 182PS 400Nm (T8MA) Manual Sync1
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is some not clear information, not many people did it. @murcod mention in other topic about laminated (acoustic) glass in newer Kuga 2016+. I only asked, maybe someone already know/did this upgrade and could share some details.

There might have different fixings. They looks similar. I compared new part numbers 2014 with 2016, and they has different window motor, but used parts sellers put them in the one bag (2013-2019), so I asked question, and they both are not sure about this upgrade, so I don't know.

2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
I'd be thinking the only difference could be how they mount to the mechanism inside the door. Are you able to see them side by side?

Mr Modification
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd be thinking the only difference could be how they mount to the mechanism inside the door. Are you able to see them side by side?
No unfortunately. I found 2 sellers who can compare it, but they not are not sure 馃槙 I will try to find dismantelers closer my location.
Also I will have a look closer to window mechanism

Super Moderator and Mr Grumpy
As murcod says it would probably come down to the clamp. I would guess the laminated glass is slightly thicker so I would have thought it imperative to get the bottom holding clamps that suit the glass. Has the toughened glass got two holes in the bottom like the laminated one or is the clamp bonded to the glass.

Sometimes with modifications you just have to try to see if it works.

I worked in the window and door industry for quite a while and laminated glass has a better sound reduction when compared to the same thickness glass that is toughened or standard float glass. Just not sure if it will be that noticeable at that thickness but it will have better performance than the toughened option.

Mr Modification
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I ordered cheap laminated glass, and today successfully I replaced my current toughened one :)
It fit without any modifications. Both glass have similar thicknesses (tough 4.83mm, laminate 4.9mm) and mounting holes in the same place.
Only difference is in the bottom shape, toughened one is slightly bigger and heavier.

I have some photos to compare them side by side.
Laminated one on top:
Road surface Asphalt Concrete Sidewalk Composite material

Azure Road surface Asphalt Tints and shades Concrete

Wood Door Motor vehicle Gas Chair

PS: Toughened glass will be soon for sale :ROFLMAO:

Nice. Post up if you reckon it makes much difference to the interior noise.

Laminated glass has better sound reducing properties when compared to toughened but not sure at that thickness if it will make much difference. If you live somewhere noisy and having new windows put in, request 6.4 or 6.8mm laminate for the outer glass pane on the double glazed unit.

It woul appear the laminated glass is just clamped in as it's missing the mounting holes

Registered
I ordered cheap laminated glass, and today successfully I replaced my current toughened one :)
It fit without any modifications. Both glass have similar thicknesses (tough 4.83mm, laminate 4.9mm) and mounting holes in the same place.
Only difference is in the bottom shape, toughened one is slightly bigger and heavier.

I have some photos to compare them side by side.
Laminated one on top:
View attachment 8726
View attachment 8727
View attachment 8728

PS: Toughened glass will be soon for sale :ROFLMAO:
Thats a brilliant post.... all the info you need!!! nice work.

@MaoVi 's car is getting newer lol. Good job on the upgrade. What is next on the agenda.

Mr Modification
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nice. Post up if you reckon it makes much difference to the interior noise.
First impressions was in the city where incoming vehicles pass you on the side (this sound is noticeable quieter).
Also on motorway speeds I heard a lot of wind noise from side mirror (there is a lot of difference, but I have to take off bike rack from roof to be sure is quiet now)

It woul appear the laminated glass is just clamped in as it's missing the mounting holes
Yes this plastic mounts from laminate glass is 5mm thick, so they just glue in this fixings after glass was removed from oven where all layers was joined together. The reason is to reduce cost of production. They have to ground and bend two 2mm glass. So they not have to drilling holes on them, only attach fixing at the end.
...newer model MK3 have this type of fixing too

a brilliant post.... all the info you need!!! nice work.
I updated first post as well, where I made a mistake on names laminated and toughened glass.
Whole operation of replacing glass is easy. Glass is attached to window regulator by push / press pin.
It taked me about 30 min to change it.

What is next on the agenda.
Definitely I have to find laminated glass for passenger side ;)

The biggest problem when you deadening car is when you finish something, you started to hear something else, because when I finished doors I started to hear a lot of road nosie from floor, then wind noise from side mirrors.
Also randomly squicks and rattle some plastic fixings around the interior, but one of the last step will be roof, but I have panoramic one and there is not a lot of bare metal plate where you can just add some mats. One of my idea is to buy 0.125mm foil and stick it internally to glass, but I don't think it could make any difference.
It make sense to do that between 2 layers of glass like they laminate them.

Reactions: smartguy69

The biggest problem when you deadening car is when you finish something, you started to hear something else, because when I finished doors I started to hear a lot of road nosie from floor, then wind noise from side mirrors.
Have you ever driven it with the plastic cowling below the windscreen removed? That massively increases the engine bay noise volume in the cabin. So perhaps applying some extra deadening to it may give you improvements.

Mr Modification
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Have you ever driven it with the plastic cowling below the windscreen removed? That massively increases the engine bay noise volume in the cabin. So perhaps applying some extra deadening to it may give you improvements.
I found your post about this in Escape forum ;)
I added there as well some butyl and foam sheets. Around this huge mixer flap where coming into cabin, on the firewall where is access, also some under the windscreen - but I can't say there is any difference... I guess deadening there should reduce wind noise in higher speeds and engine noise, but my bike rack on roof is much noisier than cowling area can be and I can't confirm it was improvement.

In next ocassion I have to try to drive without wipers cowling it and I will know what type of noise it make.
Also I will take off bike rack for winter, then maybe I spot some difference.

You'll be surprised at how much noise that cowling blocks out. I was going to add some extra sound proofing to mine last time I had it out, but didn't get around to it.

My aftermarket Rhino cross bars do suffer from a bit of wind noise. I only leave them on when I'm using them.

Mr Modification
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I haven't had many of them. Only place where I missed to stick them was this bottom firewall plastic where already exists some factory deadening and heat shield. Maybe on the another side of it could give better deadening improvement :unsure:
Thanks anyway for your advice @murcod about this place. Next I will partially take headliner down to add some deadening to top of windshield. But I will remember to have some sheets when I will have to change front shock absorbers ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts