Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have now taken delivery of the Kuga in my signature, and very nice it is too. I have a set of steel wheels with winter tyres which I want to put on the car. Question is, as they don’t have tyre monitoring sensors in them (I’m assuming that’s how the system works) what will be the effect on the system when I fit the steel wheels? Anyone else done this?
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
You'll probably get a tyre monitoring malfunction message which you can cancel. Driving without sensors installed could affect your insurance.

Set of 4 sensors from Ford probably just over £100 plus fitting of course.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Fillco, I’ve just phoned my brokers (Headley Insurance,give them a try) whomare happy for me to put non sensing wheels with winter tyres on my Kuga. They will just note it on my file.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Further to this, I understand from the Ford dealer that the tyre pressure monitoring system runs off the valve. so, when I put the steel wheels on and the warning light comes on, how do I cancel it and reinstate it when I go back to the alloy wheel set up?

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
2016 model has sensors..

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
when I put the steel wheels on and the warning light comes on, how do I cancel it and reinstate it when I go back to the alloy wheel set up?
That'd be an MOT fail in the UK I believe? (Here in Australia the policies usually have a clause that the vehicle must be roadworthy for the policy to be valid.)

FoCCCus (use with extreme caution), or possibly ForScan, can disable/ enable the TPMS. If you're going to use FoCCCus, I'd only recommend using an OBDLink MX OBD2 interface- modified ELM327 interfaces usually crash. (Even ones advertised as working with FoCCCus.)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well the wheels are on, the tyre pressure warning came on after about 6 miles along with a service message. OKing that turns it off and just leaves the tyre light on. My wife drove the car to work yesterday which included icy patches with no problem. I think the safety aspect overrules a warning light. Insurance company is fine with the change and the fact that there are no pressure sensors, they also see safety as the overruling aspect. All of you probably know this already but if you tare the wheels off, apply copper grease to the mating surfaces, mine had none and it took a lot of grunting to get the N/S wheels off. Happy days.

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
It took 6 miles to warn you. Should be instant as you start the car as it polls the sensors and finds they are not there..

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not on mine it didn’t. Also interesting to note that the winter tyre/rim combo (195/65/17 Pirelli Scorpion M&S) run at 44mph in 5th gear at 1500 rpm, exactly the same as the standard Contis on 19” rims. Oh joy of joys.?✌

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
Mine does alert within a few seconds of starting the engine!
Yes it should be the same speed, its very nearly the same size/diameter of a 235 55 17

Is that read on a satnav?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Speedo reading. I’m never sure which is more accurate, speedo or sat nav.

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
A well speedo may read 44 but the wheel circumfernce may be slightly smaller so in effect your under speed slightly.

Satnav should be spot on..

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
ll of you probably know this already but if you tare the wheels off, apply copper grease to the mating surfaces, mine had none and it took a lot of grunting to get the N/S wheels off. Happy days.
[/QUOTE]
The Kuga wheels are not easy to remove are they. Strange how some cars are fine and others are not. I never had a problem with removing a wheel on any of my cars until the Kuga and I have had a lot of cars. Astra H is the same on the back which was my son's car. I told him to take it to a garage. Even ran it with the wheel nuts loose and hit the brakes hard and then same in reverse. No joy. I had to do that with the Kuga on the rear drivers side but with the Kuga just rocking back and forth in the drive loosened it.

Don't forget to clean the surfaces up first before applying the copper slip.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts