Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi is there a way to turn off the TPWS system when winter tyres are on the Kuga to stop the annoying bing bong every 20 mins. As a follow up is it an MOT faliure if the system does not detect live sensors in the tyres.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Buy 4 cheap sensors from China, leave them in the car, glove compartment or so and remove them when you replace the wheels with new ones that do have tpms sensors.

I think you just need to recalibrate (reset) when they are inside your car, so it can sense their current pressure.

Not sure, that it works outside a tyre, though, just an idea, so you do not need to software workarounds.

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
£120 for a set of sensors and your local tyre man will for maybe £10 each.

Dexter, will they work in the car, as they may need proximity to individual wheel (ABS wiring may be used for the antenna).

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
I wouldn't imagine you'd be able to get them to not register a fault left in the glovebox with no pressure- the system would surely be smarter than that?

·
Registered
538 Posts
Fillco said:
£120 for a set of sensors and your local tyre man will for maybe £10 each.

Dexter, will they work in the car, as they may need proximity to individual wheel (ABS wiring may be used for the antenna).
It worked with my old set in the rear of my car, before i got tpms mounted, they are not in proper proximity , as all was in the rear of the car :)

murcod said:
I wouldn't imagine you'd be able to get them tonotregister a fault left in the glovebox with no pressure- the system would surely be smarter than that?
That for him to find out and us to learn.

Many tricks around the new TPMS technology lets people drive around with tyres not having TPMS, so why not this simple method to start with.

Edited by: dexterPicard

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
dexterPicard said:
It worked with my old set in the rear of my car, before i got tpms mounted, they are not in proper proximity , as all was in the rear of the car :)
Cor it worked that far away from each wheel, that is surprising.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Disabling it using FoCCCus sounds a lot simpler.

I know that function works as I enabled it on my 2016 Kuga which doesn't have TPMS. After enabling I had service errors for the TPMS system on the info display. I didn't go as far as buying the sensors due to the price and limited info the system displays- if it gave a pressure readout for each tyre I would have bought them for sure.

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
Yes David that unfinished aspect of the TPMS came to prominence again yesterday just before we were to leave the M56 for the new A556 to join the M6.

Up came the information warning 'check tyre pressures'. While I'm grateful for the warning, how convenient, no hard shoulder for at least a mile and as it had started raining, road spray was present. So pulled up when we could on the hard shoulder, and I said to my wife, so now I have to look at the tyres and see if I can see which has given the warning and as the warning has just come on it might not be so obvious. So walking round the car in-between passing vehicles so I don't get soaked with dirty spray, I cant see any obvious sign of deflation after about 3 minutes from the warning. Foolishly I'd taken my box of tricks out of the boot which had a pressure gauge in. So I reset the TPMS to at least give me a warning of the rate of deflation and carried on to Knutsford services where I can inspect a little further. 30 minutes after the warning and the TMPS didn't come on again. Got to our friends in Shropshire and borrowed a pressure gauge and identified NSRT was low by about 3PSI. Left it until we set off and inflated it to my normal pressure and reset the TPMS. Travelled home with no warning, but checked the tyre this morning and its down by 5 PSI and as if to rub salt in the wound, my torch lit up the head of a 2 or 3mm round nail buried in the tread laughing at me.

Before I got out of the car to inspect the tyres, my wife did ask me 'doesn't it tell you which tyre it is' (you see we come to expect these things these days), I had to say, well it could do but its something Ford didn't include even though it is monitoring pressure and temperature, they don't actually display them.
Interesting reply, 'is this another thing that will stop you buying another Ford'.

Anyway, hopefully I'll get thy tyre repaired FOC due to the inconvenience of my car having to return to the dealers after its Service last week, due an update not being successful. That's another story for the DAB radio issue which I hope will be resolved today.

Edited by: Fillco

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
TPMS is a good idea with poor implementation on the Kuga. I think I recall someone posted the relevant OBD2 addresses for each
tyre (somewhere- perhaps the USA Escape forums?) I've also seen a mod
for the Mondeo where someone programmed the instrument display panel to
show each tyre's pressure.

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
Yes its just another unfinished aspect of the Kuga.

The tyre wasn't repaired FOC they said they couldn't risk repairing it. The nail had a head of about 2-3mm diameter so you can guess what size it was, and it was 4 cm from the edge of tyre and deemed unrepairable. So I said OK just leave as its a slow puncture and I'll be putting my winter tyres on. Popped down to my usual tyre service told the story asked them to look, tyre repaired. They like I could see no reason why it should not have been repaired and they like Ford will sell m a new tyre or two if they had to. I'll take this up with the dealer when I next go down.

Edited by: Fillco

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes i took a tyre to be repaired and they botched the job ruining a nearly new tyre, should have stuck with my old trusted tyre place.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Coincidence reading this post, TPMS warning appeared On Saturday. Checked tyres 2 front at 36 and rear 41 psi. Thought BH that’s high. ST line three months owned by me. Ford Dealership using my Kuga to move concrete blocks I wondered. Anyhow, Deflated tyres as to recommended on door stem panel, reset TPMS. 75 miles later following a brief stop warning comes on again. System/sensor fault? Any other thoughts?

V

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
Its not picking up the transmission from one or all of your wheels if its comming up with malfunction. How to identify which wheel is another matter, particularly as it is intermittent as you wouldn't get 75 mile before it warned you and Fords crude warning system doesn't warn which wheel has low pressure let alone which wheel it has failed to receive a transmission.
Batteries in the sensors are supposed to last at least 5 years (proofed to 10 apparently).

I have this on one of my winter wheels every time I put them on for winter, but after about 20 miles driving I can eventually reset and all OK. I was putting it down to some comment I'd read that the Ford TP sensors are only good for alloy wheels and my winters are on steel, so the steel properties may prevent propagation of the transmission from a sensor. It must be marginal on mine as it does clear. I did have a plan to secure some aluminium foil on the valve to act as a passive antennae but fortunately haven't had to bother.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks filco,

assumed likely to be some Malfunction issue that will require three visits to ford before it’s resolved!

V

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
Yes possibly.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts