Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Kuga mk2. 2.0ltr TDi. Titanium. 4x4. 180 bhp. 2015.
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, just joined the forum. Wondered if anyone has tried or is using a tpms bypass device ? For about £60 they seem a good idea but do they work ?
 

·
Registered
Vignale 2019, Platinum White
Joined
·
4,542 Posts
Why would you want to bypass a safety device 🫣
 

·
Registered
2019 ST Line Edition AWD 180 Diesel
Joined
·
334 Posts
Why would you want to bypass a safety device 🫣
Safety device 😂 oh how did we ever manage to drive cars before they were fitted.
I believe we used to use our eyes and our own judgment.
Sorry but all they are is another expensive part to go wrong I’m sure 99% of people can work out if they have a soft or flat tire and the other 1% should not be driving.
 

·
Registered
Mk3 Titainium 1st Ed, Lucid Red 1.5 Diesel
Joined
·
691 Posts
The Firestone recall in the US during the late 1990s (which was linked to more than 100 deaths from rollovers following tire tread-separation), pushed the United States Congress to legislate the TREAD Act. The Act mandated the use of a suitable TPMS technology in all light motor vehicles (under 10,000 lb (4,500 kg)), to help alert drivers of under-inflation events.

Check with your insurance company that they are Ok with the removal of TPMS.

Also have a look at :- Remapping and car insurance
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
3,585 Posts
In short, if your TPMS is defective and the police check (unlikely but perfectly possible) then you effectively have a car that will not pass an MOT until the defect is corrected. You will probably end up with a Vehicle Defect Notice and seven days to get it fixed.

However, the OP wanted to check if the badly named 'bypass' device would work. They do, as it is what KwikFit use to reset on some models after a tyre change. On the Mk.2 you should be able to tell the vehicle to learn a new TPMS sensor but it is illegal to 'operate' a vehicle manufactured after November 2014 that does not have a working TPMS. So an external device to rest would appear to be OK but one which bypasses the TPMS is not.
 

·
Registered
2019 ST Line Edition AWD 180 Diesel
Joined
·
334 Posts
In short, if your TPMS is defective and the police check (unlikely but perfectly possible) then you effectively have a car that will not pass an MOT until the defect is corrected. You will probably end up with a Vehicle Defect Notice and seven days to get it fixed.

However, the OP wanted to check if the badly named 'bypass' device would work. They do, as it is what KwikFit use to reset on some models after a tyre change. On the Mk.2 you should be able to tell the vehicle to learn a new TPMS sensor but it is illegal to 'operate' a vehicle manufactured after November 2014 that does not have a working TPMS. So an external device to rest would appear to be OK but one which bypasses the TPMS is not.
So what if the car never had them from new and was built after the 2018 date is that ok ?
Not trying to be argumentative with anybody i am genuinely interested in this aspect of it all,
As i really don't see it as a safety device at all i see it as people been to lazy to check their car over and relying on
a piece of modern electronics which we all never go wrong.
Maybe thats just the "new" way don't trust the people but trust the electronics.
 

·
Registered
Mk3 Titainium 1st Ed, Lucid Red 1.5 Diesel
Joined
·
691 Posts
So what if the car never had them from new and was built after the 2018 date is that ok ?
Not trying to be argumentative with anybody i am genuinely interested in this aspect of it all,
As i really don't see it as a safety device at all i see it as people been to lazy to check their car over and relying on
a piece of modern electronics which we all never go wrong.
Maybe thats just the "new" way don't trust the people but trust the electronics.
The Law. Since November 2014, all new passenger vehicles sold in the EU must be equipped with a tyre pressure monitoring system (TPMS). That’s the law Just like seat belts, air bags and rear fog lights, it saves lives.
 
  • Like
Reactions: johncam and NigelB
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top