Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, new joiner here. I purchased a 2015 2L diesel auto (Powershift) AWD in January this year, mileage is 21k. About 3wks ago during a long drive, the Stability Control light suddenly came on, accompanied by the Transmission Limited Function message on the control panel. They stayed on for about 10secs & then went off. Took it straight to Ford who cleared the error codes & found nothing. The same thing happened again yesterday - this time going uphill - lights came on, it stuck itself in neutral, hesitated for a split second & then found the correct gear and the lights went off again. It's got a 3yr warranty. Any suggestions? I fear Ford are going to keep fobbing me off saying they can't find a fault & I'm now nervous to drive too far. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Have you fitted new tyres recently, this can cause this problem if they have only been fitted to one or 2 wheels.
It seems like your AWD is permanently engaged due to different tyres as they are slightly different diameter so the AWD thinks there is a traction problem and keeps the AWD permanently engaged to make sure you have traction.

·
Registered
6,770 Posts
If your 2015 Kuga has a 3 year warranty that's good and hopefully they will sort the problem out. Those two warnings along with other warnings used to warn of an alternator problem, but may be totally unrelated.

Can you put the Info display into displaying the AWD display and check that AWD is functioning (showing all wheels are driving when you set off) and also whether it continues to function when the warning lights come on?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Phil - I'd not thought of that. Will take a look at the display for the AWD. I've booked it back into Fords this week. From Googling the fault, I wonder if the transmission sensors need cleaning or the transmission cable needs adjusting? Many thanks for your replies, I appreciate any help with this!

·
Registered
2013 Titanium X with 2017 Powershift Conversion.
2,229 Posts
I've been to **** and back with our Powershift.

Can you list the fault codes they pulled from the TCU (Transmission Control Unit).

If the AWD did overheat it would just open the magnetic clutch at the back, you would not have total loss of drive.

If you have the ability, buy an ELM adaptor and pull the codes yourself with FORScan, even a hand held OBDII reader will pull a code if it's still active (pull over and DON'T turn the engine off if you can, attach the reader and scan.

Transmission Limited Function should never appear, clearing the fault twice is just fobbing you off imho.

They have a few weak links in the gearbox unfortunately.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Keith. It's into Ford tomorrow, so I can ask for the fault codes (altho I don't have a scanner myself unfortunately). I forgot to say, when the Transmission Limited Function message popped up, the Stability Control light came on as well. I'm keeping an eye on the AWD on the Infoscreen, but haven't seen anything unusual yet. And yes I agree, I think we're going to be fobbed off again. This is the second time in 2wks. I'm already steeling myself for an argument in there. Will report back tomorrow!

·
Premium Member
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
3,564 Posts
If you can get the codes you'll be able to do some more research yourself on what it might be.

Usually dealers will only try to fob you off when they say there's no logged codes. The factory workshop manuals will have fault finding procedures they should follow for any logged fault code.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi all, well quick update from yesterday. Dropped it off to Ford about 8am. Around 9am get a call from the Service Manager who asks if I realise the car is under warranty (er, yes!). Further call at 3pm to say they've put a claim in to Ford UK under the warranty for a new fuel injection kit. Does that make sense, given I assumed the problem was the gearbox? (Going into neutral, loss of power etc?). I'm not convinced that's the problem but if they want to fit a new system, then that's fine with me! I've asked for a copy of the fault codes anyway & will post any further updates (but hopefully not!). Thanks again everyone. smile:

·
Premium Member
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
3,564 Posts
I guess just let them replace whatever they say is "broken". If that doesn't fix the problem they'll need to do more investigating.

·
Registered
Kuga 2.0TDCI,180, AWD,POWERSHIFT, TITANIUM X SPORT,2016
8 Posts
Hi Guys,just registered on this forum after looking at discussions about limited transmission function faults with Kuga Powershift. Experiencing exact same intermittent faults as the original post.I have 2016 Titanium X Sport Powershift model with 35k on clock.Booked in at my Ford dealership on Wednesday 20/01 for diagnostics at a cost of 127 GBP,I work for a vehicle hire company and our technician connected OBD machine and it showed various codes for transmission and engine faults.I have supplied all info regarding fault including codes to Ford Service,hopefully this will get sorted in one visit ! Any help or info from this group would be greatly appreciated!! Cheers, Phil.

·
Registered
Kuga 2.0TDCI,180, AWD,POWERSHIFT, TITANIUM X SPORT,2016
8 Posts
Codes are P1719-00 Engine Torque Signal this was on the transmission log and P0272-92 Cylinder 4 Contribution/Blance, also P0266-92 Cylinder 2 Contribution/Balance, P0170-00 Fuel Trim Bank 1.
P244C-00 Temp Too Low During Regen. on Engine log.
Cheers

·
Registered
2013 Titanium X with 2017 Powershift Conversion.
2,229 Posts
First off it's got the better designed gearbox which is a good start.

I believe the PCM sends calculated engine torque to the TCU (gearbox brain) via canbus so that signal is either out of range or intermittent. The TCU has no way to measure torque directly.

Hopefully sorting the rest of the codes will also sort the Transmission Limited Function message and TCU code.

·
Super Moderator and Mr Grumpy
9,635 Posts
Sounds to me like it has failed a dpf regeneration for whatever reason.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone, new joiner here. I purchased a 2015 2L diesel auto (Powershift) AWD in January this year, mileage is 21k. About 3wks ago during a long drive, the Stability Control light suddenly came on, accompanied by the Transmission Limited Function message on the control panel. They stayed on for about 10secs & then went off. Took it straight to Ford who cleared the error codes & found nothing. The same thing happened again yesterday - this time going uphill - lights came on, it stuck itself in neutral, hesitated for a split second & then found the correct gear and the lights went off again. It's got a 3yr warranty. Any suggestions? I fear Ford are going to keep fobbing me off saying they can't find a fault & I'm now nervous to drive too far. Thank you!
I just replaced the rear differential in mine & apparently it is a really complex system. If any of the tyres have even a 3ml difference on tread it can affect the AWD system.

·
Registered
Ford kuga 2014 2.0 180hp AWD
18 Posts
Hi , I own a 2014 2.0 AWD diesel kuga and I have faced the same problem this evening after a long journey driving 150miles . I got the message as transmission limited function see manual . And the car started to rev a lot while driving . Any suggestions please ?

·
Registered
Ford kuga 2014 2.0 180hp AWD
18 Posts
Is it a 163?. Sounds like it's gone into block gear change (selecting only odd or even gears).
It’s a 180 hp . I had similar issues 10 months back when I first bought the car . I took it to Ford who did a major work for £1700 but got it covered under dealer warranty as it was within 3 months of purchase . The same problem reoccurred 3 weeks after the service . I was very hesitant to take it back to them as they were rude on the phone when I called them . AA person came to check the car battery and advised me to replace the car battery which I did as it was 6 years old already and the problem completely got solved . He did tell me that my car takes slightly more charge when the engine is turned off and could be some parasitic loss which needs to be addressed . Normally there will be an acceptable battery usage of 0.5 when the car is turned off whereas my car has 0.62 ( sorry I don’t remember the unit ) . I don’t know if this has anything to do with the current issue .

Attachments

1 - 20 of 34 Posts