Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
2020, mk3 Ford kuga
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my old 19" lying around waiting to be placed on the new car, but i was worried they needed relearn/calibration due to the different approach to individual reading from each tire.

Well,
I got them on my car yesterday and today i have been driving for least 1 hour, and the new readings are already done without any kind of relearn or whatever you could imagine your mechanic might needed to do to add the id's of each wheel to the ECM of the computer. At least for the 50+ miles i have been driving i seen no TPMS warnings at all, and values in frontpanel are stable.

The tpms valve used are OEM compatible editions from aliexpress, and the OEM part number is sold as compatible for various Ford models from 2013- and forward.

Question is now,
Any people on this forum with experience on this topic? Maybe from US models, since they have had the individual readings for years in the F-XXX models.

I wonder, if our Ford model, is combining the TPMS reading and the ABS method to get the actual pressure?
Why would my set of wheels from my 2017 Kuga fit the 2020 model, without me doing anything but press "reset", and store current values found?

This info is just for people getting a pricetag from the mechanic saying they need to relearn/code the TPMS valve's when you change tire or maybe to winter tires, which seems not to be needed if the correct OEM valve are used, which are Ford compatible.

I might be wrong, and my car will complain tomorrow :) When i had the original 18" set of wheels in the back, i did get a TPMS warning indicating something was wrong yesterday, but that is no longer the case.
And yes, the old set are far from the car currently and i am not getting readings from the old set, which seemed to have more air in the tire as well (2.6 down to 2.4 now with new ones)

·
Registered
6,600 Posts
Does it display the values of each wheel?

I sort of had an educated guess that the TPMS uses the ABS sensor/cable as a close proximity antenna so that each wheel can be polled by the system individually without the other three wheels responding, by transmitting down each ABS cable, then receiving a response from whatever TPMS sensor is in close proximity to each ABS sensor. This seems to allow a change of wheel without any pairing and only a TPMS reset is required.

May work totally to this of course.

·
Banned
2020, mk3 Ford kuga
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was planning to confirm and verify this later today, i might not do it today. But of course i want to make sure that if a wheel is just 1.6 BAR i want to make sure it shows correctly, but as i remember the ABS solution require the wheel to be spinnning so its not just removing air from one tire, i have to drive with less air in it :(

But i will see how it works out.

·
Registered
6,600 Posts
I dont think the wheel has to be turning or should I say mine do not have to turn to give a warning as though the TPMS system polls the sensors on start up.

·
Banned
2020, mk3 Ford kuga
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Ok, my initial tests show they are not working.
I have tested 2 wheels with less air in it, 1.6 BAR , and the frontpanel do not change or give any warning after about 1 mile of driving. I believe that tells me the TPMS valves are not configured.

But it seems also to tell me, Ford might have a problem here, since they allow a set of wheel without TPMS to be mounted, and that the TPMS system do not detect them as missing or give any warning? That is strange.
Or i should really drive more miles to see the air on my wheel change?

For now i leave it, i might try out the Brake+stop/start trick to initiate a relearn and see if my Kuga is compatible, then i just need the tpms magnet to relearn.
edit: Brake+stop/start 3 times seems to work, and i can relearn TPMS this way, now i need the trigger, and must buy one.

·
Registered
6,600 Posts
I wouldnt speculate, see the dealer

·
Banned
2020, mk3 Ford kuga
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wouldnt speculate, see the dealer
Too expensive for a relearn, around £50 every time they change, and i do it twice a year (summer/winter) and i just bought the tool for £22 . :) And the tool, as i read on other Ford forum, works many years :) so , alot of money saved.
But next week i know for sure. For now, i've just seen my Kuga go into relearn mode on my front panel, that works fine :)

·
Registered
6,600 Posts
Sorry should have said, yeh I change the wheels myself for winter etc. But, ask the dealr why the TPMS isn't alerting you.

·
Banned
2020, mk3 Ford kuga
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I searched the net for no-tool solution and found the "release air pressure" way, which do not work but here. Many people write about their change of wheels and no alerts, they believe the car relearn after 30-40 miles, but i believe i have tried this.
Strange is, others with Ford do get a tpms warning when their tires change and tpms valves are not correct.

Maybe i just need to drive some more km's on the new set, to see them working :) that is one thing, that will happen over the next week or so.

·
Registered
6,600 Posts
When I changed my wheels I got no warning as the pressure was still within the value of the wheels I took off (around 33psi) as I mentioned I don't think the TPMS sensors have a relevant individual identification and its just their position/location on the vehicle, which is why I believe/guessing that the sensors receive an interrogation signal via the ABS sensor cables to keep the signal very local to the sensor. It does at least save having to pair up sensors to their location which some have to be. This is far less complicated.

Maybe the TPMS is actually not working!

·
Banned
2020, mk3 Ford kuga
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, I received the TPMS trigger tool today, and tested it. It fails to work with the valve's i got on my tyres right now.

I confirmed the tool works, using it on the original summer tire delivered from Ford, and here the relearn procedure works. So i can only confirm my old tyres have incompatible tpms valve's it seems, so i need to find some original Ford compatible tpms valve's where this tools works on , as double confirmation, so i can use it next year on them.

·
Banned
2020, mk3 Ford kuga
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, new update.
I got a TPMS diagnostic tool now (Autel) , and updating the tool to newest software, it became Kuga 2020 compatible.
And wow, Once again tpms valve showed up incompatible for 2020 kuga's . If i changed model to Kuga 2016-2019 , the valve worked fine and ID# was seen and pressure found ok.

So i can conclude, i need to replace the 4 valve's with compatible valve's now, no more experiments.

Now i need to decide, do i use 18" winter tyre replacement, og do i go with a new 19" tpms valve + new vinter tyre on top here. So i have 2 summer set right now,18&19" but only one is needed.
the 19" still needs to be dissasembled, since tpms's are incorrect, so might change tyre as well when they are taken apart anyways.

·
Banned
1,569 Posts
Why faff when you have a new car.
I just can’t see why people buy a new car to fit older stuff then have to buy tools to test things to find out they need another tool to learn that by swapping values it works.

Maybe it’s not a Ford issue as they built the car as one package and it was so designed to work together.

Changing parameters is going to goof it all up.

·
Banned
2020, mk3 Ford kuga
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not really, tyres were original Ford 19" and i paid quite a sum for them, and they are hardly used, and i like them.

But you believe that tyre dealers are not meant to have a business or? or people cannot put 20" on their cars if Ford didnt?

·
Banned
1,569 Posts
Maybe I’m an old crank....I just don’t get buying extra kit to mess about to try and have it fit a newer model.
I’d be worried about messing up any warranty whilst dabbling with scanners and ports etc.
Of course you can fit anything you want and if was made by the same manufacturer that’s a good start but there will always be some glitches along the way.
I also asked the question when someone said they wanted to retro fit a HUD that they had in another kuga and was trying to locates the OBD port.
I just think it gives people like Ford a “get out clause” should it go “belly up” with the electrics.
There’s a few, who are having mega issues already with batteries etc.
Just an observation, I’ll shut up, nowt to do with me. Take care.

·
Banned
2020, mk3 Ford kuga
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You should know the old saying then: Why fix it if it ain't broken... my wheels and HUD display (50% works) are ok :) So no need to pay the bill twice, thats not needed and the fixes with tools, well those can be useful in other situations or i just sell it again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts