Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Sorry i am a newbie to this tow weight stuff could someone explain how these figures are derived from the plates currently i only tow a small trailer that i put rubbish and other dirty items in to save messing up the car but i am potentially thinking maybe a bigger one later on

·
Registered
Kuga 2021 ST-Line X PHEV Magnetic
127 Posts
I'm assuming the first figure on the plate gives you the weight of the car and the second figure gives you the weight of the car plus the max weight of what you can tow.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The reason for the confusion is that the Kuga PHEV was re-homologated to 3820kg GTM quite recently (1500kg tow limit) - but the early builds had 3520kg on the chassis plates - so that's the only easy way to tell what an individual Kuga is rated to.
Hi. I'm following this with great interest. I currently have a 2018 AWD Tit X and want to change to Phev. However, the quoted towing limit, i.e. 1200kg, everywhere on Ford's website, I'll be unable to go this way as my Caravan is 1418kg. I cannot find anywhere on the internet or at dealerships where it says the Phev can now tow 1500kg, or am I completely wrong in reading this post and the legal towing limit for this car is still officially 1200kg?
Thanks🙂

·
Registered
2013 Titanium X with 2017 Powershift Conversion.
1,821 Posts
It's whatever it says on the actual weight plate on the door shut, that's what DVSA and Police will go by.

Pop into dealership and have a look at an actual car if you can imho.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks. I do understand this and after a bit recent digging it seems that the UK version is different to the Continental equivalent. i.e. UK is 1200kg EU is 1500kg. I've been to my local dealership and in an ideal world I'd like to see the VIN plate on a car registered very recently to see if there's any difference, IF, the recent rehomolgation has changed anything. These are of course currently like hens teeth. Looks like I'll have to go for another's AWD diesel as things stand at the moment.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Maybe if people could put a picture of their vin plates on here obviously with the sensitive info covered up

·
Registered
82 Posts
so which bit do we need to subtract from what to get the answer

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Subtract top row (Gross Vehicle Weight) from second row (Gross Train Weight) and you get 1500kg towing capacity on that car.

·
Registered
82 Posts
That would suggest the uk spec has changed

·
Registered
2017 ST-Line 1.5 TDCi manual
70 Posts
If I am not mistaken, isn't the gross vehicle weight the weight of the car fully loaded with 5 passengers? If that's the case, if you do not load it to the max, can't you tow more that 1200-1500?

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Technically yes but I'd always use Gross Train Weight - Gross Vehicle Weight personally.

If you're eeking the last few KG out of your capacity you've bought the wrong tow car imho.

We've got 500kg overhead on our Mk2 Kuga + Caravan.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Technically yes but I'd always use Gross Train Weight - Gross Vehicle Weight personally.

If you're eeking the last few KG out of your capacity you've bought the wrong tow car imho.

We've got 500kg overhead on our Mk2 Kuga + Caravan.
Yes i think your right - if things are that tight and you're on the limit you have either the wrong car or wrong Caravan IMHO

·
Registered
4 Posts
The confusion arises from the fact that CE homologation was renewed in February 2021 to a higher limit (internal gearbox upgrade), so all new builds (regardless of their destination) should be plated for 1500kg towing. The UK marketing team are aware and the next brochures should be adjusted to reflect this. If you look at ford.de website, the corrected 1500kg limit is already shown, but UK dealers probably aren't aware of this improvement yet.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The confusion arises from the fact that CE homologation was renewed in February 2021 to a higher limit (internal gearbox upgrade), so all new builds (regardless of their destination) should be plated for 1500kg towing. The UK marketing team are aware and the next brochures should be adjusted to reflect this. If you look at ford.de website, the corrected 1500kg limit is already shown, but UK dealers probably aren't aware of this improvement yet.
So what should be shown on a correct VIN plate

·
Registered
4 Posts
For the latest builds, 3820kg GTM with 2320kg GVM (difference being 1500kg to match the max trailer). This does actually match the current Ford brochure, but the maths is wrong as the trailer is incorrectly stated as 1200kg which should be corrected soon.

I plan to order one, too, for towing a 1496kg Bailey caravan

·
Registered
82 Posts
So as long as we have that our plate we are ok up to 1500kg any older vehicles will be stuck with the 1200kg limit

Reactions: keithmac
21 - 40 of 40 Posts