Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Is anyone towing with their PHEV yet? Just had a towbar fitted ready for a small caravan (under 1200kgs as specified). If you are/have towed which EV mode do you use. I know you're not allowed to tow on electric only but what about EV mode or does it have to be petrol ony or can it be petrol + charging battery mode?

·
Registered
Ford Kuga PHEV, april 2021, ST Line X, Winter pack, technology pack, retractable towbar
26 Posts
I know it's an old post, but I just did my first towing (my boat of around 1400 Kg). I also read that we are not allowed to do it in electric mode. However, the car is switching to electric from time to time (at low speeds). I have tried all modes (except EV now) and all the time the care is sometimes turning off the petrol engine. Therefore, I am sometimes actually towing with the electric motor, even if I do not want to. I will ask the dealer about this (but they will probably will be as useless as always :)).

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know it's an old post, but I just did my first towing (my boat of around 1400 Kg). I also read that we are not allowed to do it in electric mode. However, the car is switching to electric from time to time (at low speeds). I have tried all modes (except EV now) and all the time the care is sometimes turning off the petrol engine. Therefore, I am sometimes actually towing with the electric motor, even if I do not want to. I will ask the dealer about this (but they will probably will be as useless as always :)).
Hi. I was advised by Ford and the dealer that it shouldn't matter which mode you use (it doesn't state anything in the hand book!). I pick up my caravan later thid week and will tow in EV mode so as to use petrol and electric. Practical Caravan did a test on the PHEV Kuga and they liked it but gave it a lowish mark due to the low towing weight of 1200kgs:
My caravan is 1097kgs so will keep it loaded to no more than the 1200kgs figure.

·
Registered
Ford Kuga PHEV, april 2021, ST Line X, Winter pack, technology pack, retractable towbar
26 Posts
Hi. I was advised by Ford and the dealer that it shouldn't matter which mode you use (it doesn't state anything in the hand book!). I pick up my caravan later thid week and will tow in EV mode so as to use petrol and electric. Practical Caravan did a test on the PHEV Kuga and they liked it but gave it a lowish mark due to the low towing weight of 1200kgs:
My caravan is 1097kgs so will keep it loaded to no more than the 1200kgs figure.
According to the COC I received from Ford, the maximum towable mass with a centre-axle trailer is 1500 Kg and 750 kg for unbraked trailer.

Attachments

Reactions: Keith182

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
According to the COC I received from Ford, the maximum towable mass with a centre-axle trailer is 1500 Kg and 750 kg for unbraked trailer.
Sorry, but can't open this for some reason. Could you send to my email please?
[email protected]
The info on the Ford website and relative publications still quotes 1200kgs for the 2.5 PHEV so I am eager to see what they have sent you. Thanks, Dave.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sorry, but can't open this for some reason. Could you send to my email please?
[email protected]
The info on the Ford website and relative publications still quotes 1200kgs for the 2.5 PHEV so I am eager to see what they have sent you. Thanks, Dave.
I have send it by email. 1500 kg is also written in the National Car registration card that I got. They might have changed it recently. I just got the car in April. I suspect they have done nothing else to the car, only changed this figure. :)

·
Registered
2013 Titanium X with 2017 Powershift Conversion.
1,820 Posts
Put a picture of your VIN/ weight plate sticker up and it will tell you Gross Vehicle Weight and Gross Train Weight.

(Obviously obscure the VIN..).

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have send it by email. 1500 kg is also written in the National Car registration card that I got. They might have changed it recently. I just got the car in April. I suspect they have done nothing else to the car, only changed this figure. :)
Thanks. Have you the PHEV or the MHEV?

·
Registered
26 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Put a picture of your VIN/ weight plate sticker up and it will tell you Gross Vehicle Weight and Gross Train Weight.

(Obviously obscure the VIN..).
Where will this sticker be located? Thanks.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
PHEV. Its in my signature.
Yes, sorry. I just can't get over as to why it is so different between the 2 supposedly same cars. Does your VIN plate confirm this? How did you obtain a copy of the COC if you don't mind me asking? I will try and get one for myself. Thanks for the info. on this. I am so perplexed. Dave.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yes, sorry. I just can't get over as to why it is so different between the 2 supposedly same cars. Does your VIN plate confirm this? How did you obtain a copy of the COC if you don't mind me asking? I will try and get one for myself. Thanks for the info. on this. I am so perplexed. Dave.
Again, I have no idea where the VIN plate is. Sorry. Can yo tell me where I can find it? I only know about the VIN in the widshield and a sticker with tyre pressure on the driver's door.
I have asked for the COC before ordering, so that I know about towing my boat. I got it from the Ford dealer. Do you think it will be different in UK compared to EU now? I doubt it though.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have found the sticker. It is between the doors, on the pillar. It seems that 1500 kg is about right (2320 kg the weight of the care and 3820 kg for gross train weight).

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry, put photo on twice. I have asked ford for the COC for my car to see if it matches the VIN plate. I will have to load my caravan to 1200kgs and not the max of 1218 so this is a frustrating situation. Will let you know the outcome as to why it has changed hopefully.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry, put photo on twice. I have asked ford for the COC for my car to see if it matches the VIN plate. I will have to load my caravan to 1200kgs and not the max of 1218 so this is a frustrating situation. Will let you know the outcome as to why it has changed hopefully.
Just received a copy of the COC and confirms the 1200kgs tow limit.
Did you know whhat the limit was when ordering your car, or didn't you need to know that information?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just received a copy of the COC and confirms the 1200kgs tow limit.
Did you know whhat the limit was when ordering your car, or didn't you need to know that information?
Yes, I asked for the COC before ordering it. So I knew I can tow my boat that has around 1400 kg. I have no idea why this is different, as this is the same car (different trim level). My car is after the battery change (recall). Maybe they have done something to increase the towing limit. This is strange though. Or perhaps it is like I said before. Different standards in UK compared to EU.
When was your car built?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes, I asked for the COC before ordering it. So I knew I can tow my boat that has around 1400 kg. I have no idea why this is different, as this is the same car (different trim level). My car is after the battery change (recall). Maybe they have done something to increase the towing limit. This is strange though. Or perhaps it is like I said before. Different standards in UK compared to EU.
When was your car built?
I've had all the recall work done. The dealership hasn't got a clue why there would be a diference between my build (Dec. 2019, registered July 2020). Ford cust. serv. can't see any difference in the limits of the PHEV if ordering one now, still 1200kgs in the brochure. Someone must know something but I just don't know who to contact who could know.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The reason for the confusion is that the Kuga PHEV was re-homologated to 3820kg GTM quite recently (1500kg tow limit) - but the early builds had 3520kg on the chassis plates - so that's the only easy way to tell what an individual Kuga is rated to.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts