Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Mk 3 Kuga Titanium 1st. Edition, mHEV Diesel 150hp
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In September I made my first trip with a 1.450Kg. caravan on the back, 2 people , 2 dogs and a car full of caravanning paraphernalia. We did 150 miles from W. Wales up to Chester on the small winding A roads and then 150 mls. on the motor way to Northumberland. On the first 150 we got 30.9mpg. and overall 31.5mpg. There was plenty of power, we hardly noticed the van. Pulling away was easy, you didnt much notice the 1.45 tons. and we cruised on the motorway in 5th or 6th gear effortlessly up hills and down without much gear changing at all.
There was 70Kg on the power tow hitch which I originally thought made the steering a bit light at 60mph but I now realise its the electronic steering that you have to get used to. Also, the adaptive cruise control is great for towing, you can tuck in behind a lorry say, set the speed and it happily keeps you the exact distance from the lorry if he might speed up or slow down.
Altogether a better towing car than our previous 2016 Mk 2.5 .

Reactions: smartguy69

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
That would be my choice with the mk3 even without the current problems associated with the PHEV.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, last month we changed our Seat Altea 2.0 tdi, we went to view a Kuga 2017 178BHP AWD but were pipped at the post. After test driving a 2019 1.5 Ecoboost ST line petrol we checked out the suitability for our 1047kg caravan and it came back ok.
Love it as a car, but with the caravan show it a slope and you can see petrol engine is not up to the job, coming back from Wales on the M4 I was often down to 40 mph and 4th gear.
I worry about the car always being driven flat out when towing, petrol engines and drivetrain are not normally as robust as a diesel.
We go back to the dealer tomorrow to see what our options are for swapping to a TDI. Question now is 150BHP or 178? Our Seat was 140BHP and coped fine.
Advice welcomed folks.

·
Super Moderator
698 Posts
Hi, last month we changed our Seat Altea 2.0 tdi, we went to view a Kuga 2017 178BHP AWD but were pipped at the post. After test driving a 2019 1.5 Ecoboost ST line petrol we checked out the suitability for our 1047kg caravan and it came back ok.
Love it as a car, but with the caravan show it a slope and you can see petrol engine is not up to the job, coming back from Wales on the M4 I was often down to 40 mph and 4th gear.
I worry about the car always being driven flat out when towing, petrol engines and drivetrain are not normally as robust as a diesel.
We go back to the dealer tomorrow to see what our options are for swapping to a TDI. Question now is 150BHP or 178? Our Seat was 140BHP and coped fine.
Advice welcomed folks.
My 150 bhp tows my 1500kg just fine...

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Advice welcomed folks.
Is it a FWD manual 1.5 Ecoboost, if so it has the lowest torque and power.
You could get it remapped as a few members here have done with very good results. It's cheaper than another car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks Ozekuga, it is 150BHP, 10 more than the Seat, but the delivery is all wrong for towing. Thanks for the remap tip, worth looking into.

·
Registered
286 Posts
You may be better off with a diesel for towing anyway but if not I have the Bluefin fitted to my 1.5 Ecoboost manual and has increased torque by 60 to over 300 and power to over 200bhp now. Much improved in all ways.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Not unless you leave it on during a Service! I just put the standard map back on for warranty work or a Service/MOT then re-load the modified map back afterwards. Ford so far haven't mentioned it on the last 3 cars I have had over the past 14 years! Actually I let the modified map on the S-Max 2.2 TDCi and it had less emissions than before! (y)

·
Registered
286 Posts
By the way my Kuga feels actually quite fast now - I have kept up with other 'warm' hatches through the gears. The difference is very noticeable but obviously the torque comes in after around 1500-2000 rpm but then goes right up to 5500 - more probably but I try and be careful whereas the diesel would kick in straight away at 1000.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I just cannot resist adding my tuppenceworth. Many of you will recognise my various posting on the subject
or remapping ( Bluefin in my case ) with the idea of trying to make up for my mistake in believing Ford's
claim regarding the towing capacity of my Kuga.
I was told by various members here it was due to my practice of under revving. On my last caravan trip
made a point of towing with the revs as much as possible around the 2500-3000 and I still did not
note much improvement

·
Registered
286 Posts
I see you habe the 120PS engine. I now have now over 200PS - a massive difderence and although torque is up by 60 on mine too the diesels so have much more torque lower down the rev range to help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks guys for all the input. The dealer was not particularly helpful about changing ours for a diesel. Off to Dorset next week so will try adopting a petrol technique, higher revs and down a gear before a slope. See how it goes then maybe look into remapping.
Thanks again.
Must get a phot for my profile while away.

·
Registered
Mk 3 Kuga Titanium 1st. Edition, mHEV Diesel 150hp
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think we have strayed off a bit. This is Mk 3 forum?

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
2019 Kuga is a mk 2.5 old shape. The mk3 didn't launch until this year.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts