Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

Towing a caravan

24K views 38 replies 22 participants last post by  Guzzilazz 
#1 ·
Hi there, I am thinking of buying an 18 month old Kuga 163bhp titanium 4x4 diesel automatic for towing a 1380Kg caravan. Can I expect any problems or should it be plain sailing ? I currently have a manual Xtrail 2.0 diesel and have had no problems towing.
The car hasn't got a towbar at the moment, so should it be fitted by Ford as I've heard that there could be wiring / electronic issues if you go to a private fitter.
Thanks

#27 ·
Towed 140 miles last Tuesday and according to the display i averaged about 32 mpg... Mostly MWay but i can live with that sort of mg as the wife does overload the caravan. Milage on clock is just about 7300 so "the engine is still tight".

#28 ·
although the vehicle says 100kg of nose weight the absolute max on a tow ball is 75kg. nose weight adds stability you need to experiment with your vehicle. when towing with my focus it liked it heavy on the tow bar so I kept it between 60 to 75 kg. I also increased the mhg by adding a wind deflector, but it will also depend on the caravans aerodynamics.

#35 ·
s13tjp said:
hillybilly said:
1500 km will be fine on your kuga just watch how you loads same as your last moter be interested to hear how you get on go and enjoy
Do you no anyone who fit after market daytime running lights under the headlights
As this is in the Mk2 Towing sub forum please can we keep it on topic ie towing? Thanks in advance.

Your two other posts from earlier today asking about DLRs, which were posted in other threads, were moved to the forums thread covering DLRs on the Mk2 and they can be found here:

http://www.kugaownersclub.co.uk/forum/all-mk2-daytime-running-lights-discussion-info_topic7620.html

Edited by: Gazwats

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.