Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Banned
2020, mk3 Ford kuga
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
andspenka said:
Unfortunately the instructions aren't great or I could have added the pictures for you.

You need to start by taking the middle piece off that runs across where the boot latch is, then just get your fingers inside and pull away towards the inside of the boot. There's clips along the top where it connects to the upper part, it actually comes off quite easily. If you take the fuse cover off, it gives you a hole to get your fingers in and to pull with.
Thanks, i was looking at that part in the middle, but figured that there was more to it, than removing it.

I might give it a try tomorrow.

·
Banned
2020, mk3 Ford kuga
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Ok,now i feel really stupid, if this is it.

Reading danish forums, it seems that using an adapter from 13 to 7 socket, could cause issues with getting rear sensor disabled, so cabling is not really the problem. The cheap 13-7 socket adapter i use could be it. Anyone got a comment on this, wiki's seems to show several 7socket versions, and do Ford really customize this socket just like their OBD socket is?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hallo DEXTER_PICARD!
I highly appreciate to you!!!
Thank`s a lot!!!
After i downloaded calibrations files from the link You added, i was able to start FORSCANN on my Ford Focus 2017 and i have managed to change configuration of my car, as i wished it to be. THANK´S a lot from Germany, one more time!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks Dexter for posting this in detail.Does this mean you need two files in the CalibrationFiles folder?
I know this post is old but hopefully we can resurrect it.
Want to make sure I have everything good before I push the scary OK button...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Reply to myself
Got it all working. Very simple with the Ford harness and module.
Earth wire was in the wrong pin.
Easy to mix up on the 13 pin plug.
For anyone searching this topic. Car is Kuga 2016 Titanium without trailer option.
I used the Ford branded harness and Ford module box. There are no "hidden" leads to connect.
The fuses shown as being plugged into the trailer module are actually on leads in the harness.
The CanBus leads work spliced into the wires going into the box behind the LHS boot trim at floor level.
This and the other two on the harness plug into the module box.
Power is taken from the fuse 26 splice as shown. The fuse comes with the harness kit.
Enable four trailer items in BCMii Central Configuration.
Latest version of Forscan downloads the SBL file needed. (Did for me anyway)
Didn't "write to backup" yet. Maybe it gives you some info on the dash, dunno till I write it.

·
Banned
2020, mk3 Ford kuga
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I have not made further changes on my car. I borrowed a defective trailer, where lights did not work, and front panel warned me about blinking light and break lights , so its detecting the trailer, but no visuals, i survive that part for now.

Good to see some other can use parts of my how to for some trouble shooting.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you to Dexter Picard.I have just completed the Tow bar fitting and programming on my 2016 Mk2 Kuga.
Followed your instructions, had to buy a OBDlink MX, as the cheap ones do not work.
I used the Ford wiring/module kit.
Plugged in a new trailer board. Worked a treat.
Many,many thanks.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Both my in laws and myself tow with a Kuga ,we both have had tow bars fitted by the same firm that uses universal Can bus adaptors with all of the joints soldered in, Long ago before my retirement I spent part of my working life working on vehicle electrics , this gave me a strong incentive to see how the tow bar wiring was done, the tow bar fitters in both cases had no objection to me watching them ,and asking

them about the bits I did not understand, One of the questions I asked was why they used solder joints the reply was that soldered joints make a far better connection than any plug can be, I also asked them if a positive feed from the battery was needed, the answer was an emphatic no ,Mr Ford has been kind enough to take an over sized supply to the rear fuse box that is more than adequate for any caravan draw off, I also asked them how many Kuga tow bars they had fitted ,they said it was in the high hundreds or probably thousands by now, they do them at the rate of between 12 to 15 a week , and said they cant remember having any come backs or problems with any of them,
Neither my in laws or myself have had any re programming done, with no warning lights or any other problems.

·
Banned
2020, mk3 Ford kuga
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
davidjohn said:
Neither my in laws or myself have had any re programming done, with no warning lights or any other problems.
Question is,do you have the Sway control parameter option in front panel control to disable/enable? when towbar is active? Do you see a trailer pictures in rear cam view (maybe you do not have this at all).
Do you have parking sensor in the back, are they disabled when towbar is used?

·
Registered
116 Posts
dexterPicard said:
davidjohn said:
Question is,do you have the Sway control parameter option in front panel control to disable/enable? when towbar is active? Do you see a trailer pictures in rear cam view (maybe you do not have this at all).

I dont know whether my Kuga has the sway control disable/ enable option or not, The rear parking sensor has not been disabled as its a good aid to hitching up ,and is only activated when reverse gear is selected, we seldom if ever reverse with caravan hitched up as it has a motor mover fitted,
When it comes to towing a caravan I much prefer to use my own judgement , Tyre pressures are always
checked with an accurate pressure gauge , lights are always checked before any journey, the caravan is carefully loaded with heavy weights over the axle, I believe what the dash board lights are only an aid and are no substitute for experience, the onus is on the driver to make sure their vehicle is roadworthy.

·
Banned
2020, mk3 Ford kuga
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
davidjohn said:
dexterPicard said:
davidjohn said:

I dont know whether my Kuga has the sway control disable/ enable option or not, The rear parking sensor has not been disabled as its a good aid to hitching up ,and is only activated when reverse gear is selected, we seldom if ever reverse with caravan hitched up as it has a motor mover fitted,
When it comes to towing a caravan I much prefer to use my own judgement , Tyre pressures are always
checked with an accurate pressure gauge , lights are always checked before any journey, the caravan is carefully loaded with heavy weights over the axle, I believe what the dash board lights are only an aid and are no substitute for experience, the onus is on the driver to make sure their vehicle is roadworthy.
Thanks, sounds pretty much like my way it works here.

·
Registered
1 Posts
to whom it may concern:

on my 2018 Kuga 1,5 EcoBoost 150 HP i installed an Oris Towbar with the AC Cablekit.

Changes need to be done in ForsScan:

- BdyCM | "Trailer module" -enabled-
- BdyCM | "Towbar" -enabled-
- BdyCM | "13 Socket" -attached-
- BdyCM | "Trailer Stability Assist" -enabled-

- PAM (Parking Aid Module) | 736-01-01 xxx7 xxxx xx for left hand drive
- PAM (Parking Aid Module) | 736-01-01 xxxF xxxx xx for right hand drive
this equals "Trailer Tow Package (TTP) present / Trailer Backup Assist Pkg (TBA) present / Towbar" present

Reset BdyCM / PAM, clear all DTCs and ther you go. Rear PDC will be disabled when Trailer ist attached.

·
Registered
972 Posts
There was a discussion a while back on here about wether Trailer Stability/ Sway control was actually in the Kuga firmware.

Nice to see it as an option which puts that question to rest.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Ford Australia were advertising Trailer Sway Control in their Kuga sales brochures- starting from around 2014.

·
Registered
16 Posts
to whom it may concern:

on my 2018 Kuga 1,5 EcoBoost 150 HP i installed an Oris Towbar with the AC Cablekit.

Changes need to be done in ForsScan:

- BdyCM | "Trailer module" -enabled-
- BdyCM | "Towbar" -enabled-
- BdyCM | "13 Socket" -attached-
- BdyCM | "Trailer Stability Assist" -enabled-

- PAM (Parking Aid Module) | 736-01-01 xxx7 xxxx xx for left hand drive
- PAM (Parking Aid Module) | 736-01-01 xxxF xxxx xx for right hand drive
this equals "Trailer Tow Package (TTP) present / Trailer Backup Assist Pkg (TBA) present / Towbar" present

Reset BdyCM / PAM, clear all DTCs and ther you go. Rear PDC will be disabled when Trailer ist attached.

Does anyone know what you should select if you have a 7 Pin Socket installed as the only option seems to be 13 pin?

·
Registered
1 Posts
thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread, gave the confidence to do my own.

i'm based in australia with a 2015 Kuga Ambiente. Used a wiring kit from Milford Auto which was perfect (and about half the cost of the Ford kit), no cutting cables or soldering, just plugged into 4 pin connector (kit also does 5 pin) and power connector which were behind the trim on the right side of the boot. then used forscan as described above. only glitch was I foolishly bought a cheap OBD connector on ebay which didn't work. once i got a forscan recommended connector all good.

the trailer lights all seemed to work fine before doing anything with forscan, but did need forscan to get the parking sensor to disable when trailer connected (I get one distinctive short chime when reverse is engaged with trailer connected, reversing camera works but no trailer icon. without trailer sensors work as normal). Got hayman reese towbar installed professionally which is great but unfortunately doesn't have a mounting bracket for the connector (Milford kit supplied with Australian style 7 pin flat) so ended up mounting it to bumper fascia. looks fine.

note similar to what others have reported i only had the option for 13 pin in forscan so selected that.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Australia probably use different trailer plug standards. You also can't option a factory fitted tow bar here, but the local Kugas do come standard with the "Towing Pre-Pack" option. They're all essentially aftermarket tow bars- even if supplied by Ford Australia at the time of purchase.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi, I have fitted Oris detachable towbar and Ford electric kit with module.
Unfortunately none of the garages round here can do the official programming, and probably 70 mile drive to the nearest garage that can.

Borrowed a mates ODB2 ELM cable which he has used on his C-Max before and downloaded Forscan 2.3.34 beta.
But it does not seem to play ball fully with my Kuga.
It takes a few attempts to read and always fails when I try to write.
Has anyone seen this before?
I do have another cable on order that will hopefully arrive tomorrow.

Also when I do get in to BdyCM I only see:
  • BdyCM | "Trailer module" - which I can set to installed
  • BdyCM | "Towbar" - which I can set to 13 socket
I can't see any of these
  • BdyCM | "13 Socket" -attached-
  • BdyCM | "Trailer Stability Assist" -enabled-
  • PAM (Parking Aid Module)
Do I need to set them all?

Thank you!

21 - 40 of 44 Posts