Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone got the colour codes for rear lights of a 2017 model.
which wire colour in the cars loom to slice into for towbar wires

·
Super Moderator
907 Posts
Don't. The Kuga is Canbus electrics, best to get the Ford towing module which plugs straight in, then get the car programmed to recognise it and aall will be well

Reactions: smartguy69

·
Administrator
Ford Kuga 2013 Titanium X
1,836 Posts
Wot he said ^^^^^^^^^

·
Banned
9 Posts
I’ve just fitted a bypass relay to mine and it works a treat with no canbus errors.

Right hand side.

Green/Orange - indicator (green cable to relay)
Purple/Brown - tail light (brown cable to relay)
Yellow/Grey - brake (red cable to relay).

Left hand side.

Orange/Grey - indicator (yellow cable to relay).

I haven’t bothered with the fog or reverse - edited from my original post as the brake supply is taken from the centre brake light.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
2013 Titanium X with 2017 Powershift Conversion.
1,733 Posts
All that money spent on a car then butchering the wiring loom for the sake of another £120 for dedicated electrics..

·
Super Moderator and Mr Grumpy
6,423 Posts
Do we know for certain that all models of the Kuga have the pre-fitted plug on the car to accept the dedicated wiring kit. Both PF Jones and ECS offer two different types for both 7 pin and 13 pin. ECS describe their leads as

Type 1 "For vehicles with or without prepared connector"
Type 2 "Only for vehicles with prepared connector"

Whilst I agree that hacking into the car's existing wiring using scotch locks or similar is a bodge; in the case of no pre fitted trailer plug, what does the owner do.

·
Super Moderator and Mr Grumpy
6,423 Posts
Not sure @keithmac - I was only trying to throw something else in the mix in that I agree, if you have the connector on the car then it makes sense to fit a dedicated wiring kit, but if you haven't then whether you buy a universal dedicated kit or a bypass relay, you are going to have to make the connections somewhere.

I thought I remembered reading that one member didn't have the plug on the car and if every car had the plug, then why is there more than one option available. I can say if I spliced into my cars wiring you would not be able to tell. However, I know whoever fitted my towbar has used scotch blocks.

·
Administrator
1,836 Posts
Got to admit, I'm with Keithmac on this one.

Spend anywhere between £15 ~ £20k on a car then possibly a similar amount on a caravan and want to save £100 on one of the most important parts. Doesn't make any sense.

·
Banned
9 Posts
I’m genuinely struggling to see why some people are getting such a f**king hard-on as to how I wire up my tow bar.

I have fitted a kit which suited my needs, it works, it hasn’t “butchered” the wiring like some uneducated people think 🤦‍♂️

·
Administrator
1,836 Posts
I’m genuinely struggling to see why some people are getting such a f**king hard-on as to how I wire up my tow bar.

I have fitted a kit which suited my needs, it works, it hasn’t “butchered” the wiring like some uneducated people think 🤦‍♂️
Not sure why you're getting all up in arms about it, especially as you didn't even post the original question. We are expressing an opinion, It's not all about you!

We're a friendly bunch here, so you just joining and throwing insults around saying people are uneducated when you clearly have no idea who you're talking about. Also, we can get our point across without the need for swear words, even if they are ** out, and you call us uneducated. :unsure:

·
Banned
9 Posts
Friendly bunch? Are you sure? I know it’s not about me, I answered a question as to which some people aren’t in equilibrium with my reply. Oh well.

I guess it’s time for you to construct a box and get in it, if you don’t agree. It’s a free world.

(You may use your imagination as to what that word is 😁).

·
Administrator
1,836 Posts
Unfortunately, Maximus is no longer with us since he thought it was acceptable to call people 4 letter word names!

We don't need members like him on the site.

·
Registered
2013 Titanium X with 2017 Powershift Conversion.
1,733 Posts
Scotch locks keep me in a job!, I'd take the time to remove them all and either solder + shrinkwrap if no vibration or flexing present or heatshrink crimp connectors (using proper tool) where flexing is expected.

Came across a Scotch Lock this morning as it happens.

Not the crimping tool has completely different profile to a plastic covered crimper.

Repairing other people's wiring mess is nigh on a daily occurrence for me, I'd any chance not to butcher my own wiring personally.

·
Registered
1 Posts
anyone got the colour codes for rear lights of a 2017 model.
which wire colour in the cars loom to slice into for towbar wires
Hi Laurence. I too have that exact same question and it seems the only person who answered with details has been banned. I could see his frustration because having read many a thread and response, it seems everyone very kindly answers with a lot of stuff that usually doesn't answer the question.
I have fitted the towbar myself and pleased with the effort. I too am struggling with the electrics as the instructions given with the kit are completely inadequate and non specific. Gone are the days of matching up green to green and red to red etc. I'm at the stage of having the bypass relay wired to the 7-pin towing connector and now trying to work out the multi coloured wiring in the CAN bus loom.
I'm way more mechanically minded than electrical so it's causing a lot of frustration.
I even read one thread where the person had done this job and he said he had misplaced or lost the piece of paper with the wiring code all done. Heart breaking.
Have you got any further with your wiring since you posted ?
I am going to attempt the colour code given by Maximus but I would have liked to ask him a few questions first.
Most of the wires he's mentioned are twisted together on the loom with another double coloured wire for instance. Is the second cable just a feed back for diagnostics or like a house loop system back to the power in the opposite direction, I just don't know.
Anyway, I'd be interested to know how you got on.

Please, anyone else, I don't need to know there is a dedicated Ford kit, or you wouldn't connect into wires in the harness etc. It appears to have all been said before :eek:)
I would however be very greatful if someone could either varify Maximus's wiring or give a more detailed account.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts