Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Titanium X 150 Magnetic
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My question is how many miles and how many problems or not have owners had with their power shift box.
in driving terms is there any difference in a power shift box and an auto box.( I know there is not the option to choose with a 2.0 diesel. I am just interested if there is a any difference how the two types of gear box preform/ drive)
After hearing or reading all the tales of woe re the power shift gear box pre I think 2016 ? The later power shift box appears to be a bit better Is this the case.
I would like to change my Kuga to a power shift but I don’t want a huge repair bill Or the hassle
thanks in advance of your replies.

·
Registered
2019 2.0 180 ST Line edition auto 4x4 Chrome Blue Addaptive cruise Heated steering Full Sunroof
152 Posts
Only approx 10k miles so far, and no problems. As for the earlier cars that were problematic, thats doesn't mean if you get one, its going to be problematic. Everything you buy second hand is a risk, unless you know the person selling. So on the back of that, service history is a must.

Reactions: Dawn R.

·
Mr. Uses Lots of Words
4,938 Posts
I have not seen one reported issue on here of the later powershift gearbox. I have seen a few of the older cars with issues in addition to keithmac's post showing why they can fail.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for reply’s, it would also be interesting to hear from owners of 2017 and 2018 with 50,000 plus miles or more, to see how the gearbox is holding up. I agree any second hand purchase is a gamble, service history is a must it appears with these gearboxes requiring a service I think every 3 years or 37.5k miles. As a side note I have noticed there are an awful lot of low mileage owners/ users of Kuga’s if you search on autotrader and the like, there are lots of low mileage kuga’s for sale, is there any reason for that?

·
Frequently posts gibberish!
2,425 Posts
32000 miles on our 67 with power shift. Sweet as it comes.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Mine has done 58K and I had the service done as advised at 38k, still sweet.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for reply, how do you find the gearbo, I’ve driven a late petrol octavia Vrs and it’s gear change was almost undetectable. How is the Kuga

·
Frequently posts gibberish!
2,425 Posts
The Kuga is the same.
when In sports mode it also blips the throttle for an even more sustained down shift to match engine speed/gearbox.
does s on the Vignale anyway.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2018 ST-Lx on 28k with a remap (c200bhp) and the gear changes are barely noticeable, even with the increase in power. I certainly wouldn't be fazed buying another powershift.

·
Registered
2013 Titanium X with 2017 Powershift Conversion.
1,445 Posts
Thanks for reply’s, it would also be interesting to hear from owners of 2017 and 2018 with 50,000 plus miles or more, to see how the gearbox is holding up. I agree any second hand purchase is a gamble, service history is a must it appears with these gearboxes requiring a service I think every 3 years or 37.5k miles. As a side note I have noticed there are an awful lot of low mileage owners/ users of Kuga’s if you search on autotrader and the like, there are lots of low mileage kuga’s for sale, is there any reason for that?
These were my clutches at 60,000 still plenty of wear left.

Barring mechanical or electronic failure I would say the clutch wear would be the main concern on post 100,000 mile cars?.

The early adopters paid the price reliability wise, post 2016 Powershift should be a reasonably stout unit.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks KeithMac, after reading about your gearbox problems and solution you contribution is appreciate. Do you know if the Kuga box is the same as the galaxy and or smax box?
Are the any 80k mile plus owners out there who wish to comment.
thanks

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
The do a 180bhp SMAX AWD, I would put money on that been identical engine / gearbox and running gear to the Mk2.5 Kuga.

I believe the only difference is AWD output on Powershift gearboxes of the same build date, the rest will be identical (different firmware in the TCU mind). To be fair one seal change on the gearbox could be all it takes to go from AWD to Front Wheel Drive

Ford won't produce multiple variants as it's not economical viable.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for reply Keith do you what auto box does the 150 2wd has is it powershift or torque converter? Your knowledge is very helpful.
thanks

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
What exact car and year are you looking at?.

Newer SMAX 150 has 8 speed Auto which will be Torque Converter but depends on year?.

·
Registered
65 plate . Zetec . Powershift 4x4 .
102 Posts
if you look on the autotrader website, im sure youll find dozens of powershift kugas with 100,000 + miles.

my awd 65 plate is sitting on 45,000 , had the oils changed at 36,000 , sweet as a nut still .

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi Keith, I am looking at a 2019 Kuga either 150 2wd or 180awd I would like auto/powershift.
I asked about the galaxy as there appears to be more of 2wd galaxy with 80k plus miles and over 100k on Autotrader, currently the highest mileage Kuga is 99k post 2017. I was just trying to get an idea if the powershift problems had been reduced to an acceptable level rather that the totally unacceptable number of problems with the older type of gearbox. over the years I have had lots of Ford’s, a few Vauxhall’s and BMW’s I am no mechanic but I have a small amount of knowledge so I try to do my research and then buy the least troublesome car/model I can find.
thanks again.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ops I checked eBay not autotrader but having checked autotrader nothing Kuga post 2017 above 100k

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
All the diesel Autos are AWD Powershift, the FWD will be a Manual Transmission.

The 180bhp Powershift should be a nice reliable car.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks again for your reply, so just to confirm a Kuga diesel 2.0 150bhp powershift will be only be Awd, and all manual‘s will be 2wd.
Is there any external way of knowing apart from looking underneath, even then is the rear prop shaft or diff visible.
I currently have a 150 manual with a re map the power delivery is much better than my previous 180 Manual, If I do upgrade a 150 is a possibility hence my question.
thanks again.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts