Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just about to do the first timing belt change. I'll definitely change the idle pulley, tensioner and water pump as well as the alternator belt while I'm at it. Anything else worth changing? Alternator belt tensioner perhaps? I've done many cambelts but I don't think I've ever done the alternator belt tensioner. For some reason it came into my head and is now gnawing away at my brain :)

Also, if anyone has the Gates part numbers and/or can recommend a supplier that would be most helpful.

Bob

·
Mr Modification
Ford Kuga MK2 16/12/2014 Titanium X Sport AWD 2.0TDCI 182PS 400Nm (T8MA) Manual Sync1
578 Posts
I replaced whole timing belt set at 56.000 miles on clock. The reason was, snapped impeller on water pump (it last 7 years) . Rest components was in good condition

I only checked pulleys on tensioner and alternator - both spins quiet without any loose, so I left them on.
Tensioner spring was still strong, so I not seen reason to change it.

To additional work during this occasion should be:
  • inspect camshaft oil seal (top one) many of them started to leaking (good to have new one, before start to changing cambelt).
  • replace whole coolant (Ford service interval every 10 years) good time to do this, only what you have to do is turn off little valve on the bottom of radiator.
  • Fit new serpentine / v-ribbed belt or if you wish to keep old one fit it back to the same diversion what it was (my old was good so I fitted it back).

I bought this set from Ebay 111£, but you can have it under 80£ from AutoDoc:

Gates Timing Belt + Water Pump Kit Fits Ford Peugeot Citroen - KP25672XS

Gates give 2 years warranty for this set KP25672XS, and recommended to change it again after 3 years.

The biggest pain is disassembly everything around. To locked up crankshaft properly you have to remove starter motor, because locking hole is hidden after it. Whole replacement takes me 5h.

I wish to have metal impeller in water pump but unfortunately all of them are made from component and after 7 years genuine Ford water pump looks like this:

Reactions: smartguy69

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good point about the camshaft seals, thanks for that. I have previously changed the belts on the same engine in my Galaxy so already have the locking tools etc.

Bob

1 - 3 of 3 Posts