Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the title is a “WTF” saying.

But been an avid petrol head and yes I can say that as Jeremy Clarkson said so if you’ve owned an Alfa Romeo, to which I’ve owned two. A 156 and a Brera, both nice but the first had more suspension joints as the factory could make as it was always knocking and the Brera, well wow! The electrics were defo haunted and they had a mind of their own. Nice car until the power seat would start to push forward and lift up towards the steering wheel! Thought it was “Christine “ from Stephen Kings film at one point, reincarnated into an Alfa.

Anyway and as usual, off topic.

Fossil fuel cars are well demonised and more and more manufacturers are going down the electrification route.

So, I was wondering........we’ve had a the Vignale almost a year now (flown by) best one we’ve had but we bought it 11 months old at a stupidly low price from new.

So I’m hoping that in another year, that’ll be two years into a three year PCP deal, if any of the new Hybrid Kugas will be the same. I’m assuming not as they are a completely different set up. I haven’t seen one yet and they won’t be out in the showrooms TIL crimbo time if not January. I’m not sure of the looks as yet but I could be swayed by an hybrid but not a full one! The mileage is just not there on a full charge and we do like to do long runs, France etc. Even having a couple of hamster on board running in their wheels won’t help.

So and even tho some fossil fuel will be used, I quite like the idea of a part leccy car.

What I dont understand if the engine options. Why on earth, on a hybrid car, designed to save the earth and mankind would you fit a 2.2 petrol engine to charge it up. Seems to defeat the object, doesn’t it?

Now here’s a question for the more technology advanced in the forum, why can’t they fit a smaller donkey engine, I was going to say a “lister engine” but I can imagine loads asking what that is. It is a small industrial engine designed to power via a large flywheel, barges, hay bailing machines etc etc.

I think there is a 1.5 eco petrol engine, so why can’t we go even lower a 1ltr and I’m sure with the appropriate gearing it would cope charging the vehicle only, rather than be used to mechanically drive it as well.

So I’m hoping that in time to come, as in within two years there cost will be low enough to make the jump across.

Can someone, brighter than me, please do the “math” as to, how they get the stupid high mpg for hybrid, like the PHEv etc. I know real world it’s not the same and as the new regs stipulates real world, I still wonder how it’s done.

So, just my thought for a lazy Saturday afternoon.

Comments all of a kind welcome and a challenge has been set for the mathematicians amongst us. Crack on!

Phill

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I shall, as will many, be driving a climate killer for many years to come.

No alternative fuel vehicle gives me anything like the range I need for our touring holidays (1200 miles in Wales last week).

The hybrids are moving on but the charing infrastructure is simply not there for aplug-in variant for the masses.

I was looking at the RAV4 hybrid but why on earth does it need a 2.5 litre petrol engine?

All of the PHEV and self-charging hybrids have a 'electric only' range of under 50 miles so, my first question is 'what's the point?'

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree Nigel and it’s the range that a killer for me as well.

I know we have to do our bit for the planet but when the USA and other large countries like China seem not be giving a hoot, it just seems like we should all be behind it. Oh well the life cycle goes on.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I agree Nigel and it’s the range that a killer for me as well.

I know we have to do our bit for the planet but when the USA and other large countries like China seem not be giving a hoot, it just seems like we should all be behind it. Oh well the life cycle goes on.

I COULD have an electric car with a half-decent range (It's 270 miles for me door-to-door to the place we stay at in West Wales).

I don't however have £70,000 for a Jaguar iPace and you couldn't give me a Tesla!

·
Registered
840 Posts
I have tried lots of Hybrid HEV's over the last 18 months and will be keeping the Kuga

The new Kuga HEV will get 39 mpg average because it is going to have a 2.5ltr petrol engine
the Kia Niro with a 1.6 engine in sport mode is quite quick

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
At the moment electric or Hybrid in LEZ or ULEZ zones benefit cities who have adopted them at the moment, if we could charge the batteries from renewable or domestic renewable our ecology may also benefit.
I do like the mpg these Hybrid achieve, they are out of this world. Manufacturers had fun inventing figures for purely fossil fuel derivatives, but its game won with an Hybrid.

Unlike private motoring, some Hybrid buses in London can achieve a 30-70% improvement on mpg, from just under 5mpg to over 7mpg, where the diesel is there to charge and supplement the battery, which is not normally recharged overnight and Geofencing is used to ensure no diesel is used in ULEZ and NEZ (No emission) otherwise the bus company are penalised.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
I'd always be concerned about the battery life. It's probably going to affect resale values too (noting a few manufacturers give a 8 year battery warranty.) It's going to be one huge addition to your running costs if the worst happens and it's not covered by a warranty.

Then there's the concern of something like this occurring in an accident https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-3-fire-explosion-moscow-what-we-know-so-far/ .

I was watching the new(ish?) Mythbusters Junior show last night and they did a thing on if Lithium batteries could explode/ self combust in a rubbish truck. They set off the fire by using a metal prong to pierce one small battery pack and it very quickly caught fire... https://twitter.com/mythbusters/status/1085627866732285958?lang=en

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
And the scourge of the Diesel, where its been said that the air coming out of the latest Euro6 and 6.5 is cleaner than what going in.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I'm another one confused as to why the petrol engines have to be so big in a PHEV.

Theres somebody on the Tiguan forum who's swapped to a new RAV4. His urban economy was fairly good but on a motorway run he only got 47mpg. My diesel DSG Tiguan returns 55mpg on the motorway.

The performance figures from these 225bhp+ hybrids do look appealing though.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Man made "Global Warming / "Climate Change"/ "New Scary Catchphrase" is a mythin order to make a huge sums of money going forward for those in the highest eschelons of power.

If as they have been saying for years, oil is running out fast, they those with greed as an agenda need to replace the income stream somehow.

Even more profitable as the most of the sustainable energy is free (once the infrastructure is in place), which will have been paid for by household energy bill payers.

The investors will probably have already investes in battery tech at an early stage, so need to peddle the GW/CC line in order to increase theit investment over the long game.

Jees, sound like "The Ike" LOL

·
Registered
687 Posts
Hybrids are just a company car tax loophole imho.

Once your charge has been used up you're worse off than a normal ICE, plus they're useless for towing.

Tesla seems to be the only electric alternative with a proper range..

·
Registered
503 Posts
They need to make them cheaper to be competitive and what's going to happen to all the waste batteries when they are not any good. It's bad enough having to pay for a replacement battery for a cordless drill never mind for an electric car. Electric cars as we have them at present are not the way to go in my opinion. And as keithmac says, a company tax loophole.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
So the general consensus from all the comments is this is an article massively skewed towards ICE and fossil fuels.
Another case of "Lies, damned lies & statistics"

I don't think it necessarily contains lies.

Electric cars as we have them at present are not the way to go in my opinion.

Hydrogen seems like a much better option. Scientists are also developing more efficient ways to source it and safer ways to transport it. Unfortunately we seem to be heading down a different path and no doubt new infrastructure will further dictate what people will be buying.

I'm another one confused as to why the petrol engines have to be so big in a PHEV.

Theres somebody on the Tiguan forum who's swapped to a new RAV4. His urban economy was fairly good but on a motorway run he only got 47mpg. My diesel DSG Tiguan returns 55mpg on the motorway.

They're inevitably heavy vehicles and if there's no energy left in the battery then that petrol engine is all you've got. Out on motorways / highways there would be very little braking involved so the battery wouldn't be getting replenished and you'd be running on the petrol engine alone. Hybrids work best in the suburbs/ city where you do a lot of stop start driving.

A few years back Top Gear did a comparison between a Prius and BMW M3 around a racing track. The Prius led and all the BMW had to do was keep up. The Prius ended up using the most fuel!

Thirsty Prius | Top Gear | BBC America

·
Registered
687 Posts
A friend of mine works for Rolls Royce, they pumped millions into Hydrogen Cell research then wrote it off as none viable from what he was saying.

A few years back now so maybe things have changed a bit but doubtful.

It'll end up being a nuclear cell fitted to cars after the fuels run out imho..

·
Registered
2,014 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Hydrogen production and transport requires huge amounts of energy (electrolysis of water, liquefaction and then keeping it at -252C (20 degrees above absolute zero)

1 - 20 of 68 Posts