Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - just spent 3 weeks in Cornwall - touring with the family and the beast,

After 1500 miles through m/way -cornish moors and hillsthought I would share my thoughts on how it performed,

1st off - the loading, we had enough stuff to open a shop to try and pack in, ended up removing the polystyrene from around the spare wheel, and using this area for storage, which was very handy as it housed 4 sleeping bags, a few pairs of shoes and some camping groundsheets- we wouldnt have got it all in otherwise

when finally loaded, I expected the beast to be a bit sluggish with all that weight in it - but not at all, it still pulled like a train - in fact cruised happily at over ???

we think we used the AWD a few times after camping in some pretty boggy and hilly farmers fields - the beast is very competent and never got stuck - the ride through rough ground is very bouncy and still had to drive slowly as you would have done in a standard car - althoughI have never had another AWD type car to compare - I think it would be a nice touch for Ford to fit a light on the dash, so you can see if you are in AWD or 2WD mode

the beast was a competent cruiser on the motorway - quiet and refined, and pulled well up the cornish hills and winding roads leaving a lot of other cars for dead.

The beast did have a couple of niggles though, it would not lock on one occasion, not sure why? all doors and both boots were shut? - had to power back on , then off and it was ok

and it has started to leak fuel! as per thread in the technical section - will be contacting my dealer regarding this

also has any other AWD owner noticed a feint mechanical clunk coming from the rear/underneath of the car shortly after pulling away for the 1st time after starting? - Im assuming its just the Haldex clutch doing its thing?

also when in gear but driving down a steep hill, eg no throttle - a noticed a gearing type whirring noise from underneath the car - again im assuming this is the Haldex working?

are these noises normal?

MPG - still not good. I have done 2,500 miles now- I am getting around 40 MPG, BUTby driving using the most feint and delicate touches of the throttle and on flat open roads, and only going around 50/60 mph

as soon as you go to 70mph the economy drops to 30 MPG - and by driving the car as I would consider noramlly I was only getting about 30 MPG on long opencornish roads?- far from Fords claimed 45 something. For anything over 70MPH forget fuel economy, it guzzles the stuff!

My MPG ometer in instant mode goes down to 5MPG just by pulling sensibly out of a junction! is this normal? I had it checked and callibrated by my dealer before we left and it was ok according to them?

they also glued in my dashboard cubby hole as it kept on coming out, and during our trip it unglued itself and popped out again Grrrrr

the interior scan deactivation button was a godsend, as my eldest spent time in the car listening to her music!

we saw 3 other beasts too 1 x black and 2 x sea grey- My self and Mrs Moggith both waved at them, but their drivers just looked at us as it we were bonkers! lol

so to sum up, yes we had problems, and yes Im still not happy with the economy, but Yes the Kuga was awesome!

Beware the Beast of bodmin moor - it is an addictive drive!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hi Moggith,
I have found that me feathering the throttle is nowhere near as good as Mr Cruise Control and he gets a good 5mpg more than I do so when driving to work on the motorway at between 60 and 65 I get about 49mpg. I must admit since doing this I have stepped up to 70mph and the average is now 47 but I am still happy with this.

By the way mine is2 wheel drive.

Slimus.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have just come back from a 800mile trip around Wales. Country roads and motorway I averaged 43mpg in all. Typically on a motorway I'll get 42mpg and at 50mph on country roads I get 43/44mpg. I have the AWD version and it's done 9500miles. I have noticed a slight improvement in economygoing from Tesco to Shell fuel.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Regarding the metallic clunk, I get that shortly after moving off in 1st or reverse. I assume it is the Haldex thingy but will raise the matter when the Kuga has its first service.

AWD 2.0 TDCI Sea Grey App Pack Blue tooth

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Hi Moggith interested to hear your comments on fuel leaking, How old is the beast? read with some concern aboutyour recentfuel leaking issue, to be honest not had any problems thus far, just thinking that perhaps it's something which develops over time? done half your mileage so far by the way. Re WarKuga Tesco v Shell fuels read that Tesco supplier is a company called Greenenergy, there are many complaints allegedley about low Mpg with Tesco fuels.I have seen Shell tankers delivering fuel to Sainsbury's Northwich but I suspect they will go to the nearest refinery to collect fuels.My guess would be Shell'sStanlow Ellesmere Port which is currently under threat of closure due toand "get this " Over Capacity how strange when the price differencebetween petrol and diesel was a whopping 10p-12p a litre (dropped now) the oil refineries were blaming that this difference was because they had not got the diesel refining capacity? Think I'm gonne lie down now. . . .

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Thanks Moggith . . . Jeso looks like the rear tyre has had a reall good soaking, Diesel on Rubber not a very good combination is it?potentially it's a very dangerous one and not just for those on two wheels. Uncle had an MG Metroyears ago, filled up with fuel and when he negociated his first tight bend fuel spewed out through filler cap and onto rear tyre the MG spun out of control causing considerable damage to wheel and rear suspension coincidently the police were using Metro's at that time and some poor cop was killed so fuel on rubber can be fatal.Ford should be forced to address this problem pronto! pronto! before it turns into a disaster for somebody.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hi Moggith,me and other half are going down to Bodmin in second week of Sept with as my grandaughter calls her my "AUTOBOT" (the kuga),can you recommend any good watering holes for food? Did you go to the Eden Project?
SB

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hi All
Yes it goes without saying - a diesel spill on the road is more treacherous than sheet ice. there is absolutely no grip whatsoever. Note, the power and drive on normal cars would go straight to the slipping wheel. The KUGA on the other hand should remove the drive from the wheel that is slipping and transfer it to the wheel with most grip.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We didnt goto Eden, but have been in the past - its very good, but get there early as its gets rammed

as for food - not too sure about Bodmin area, but if you venture further south I can thoroughly recommend

fish & chips - Hubbards in Hayle (on high street by the harbour) best F&Chips i have ever eaten

Pasties -Philps in hayle - again on high street by the harbour - awesome

Sandsifter in godrevy, by the lighthouse - excellent breakfast

The Water mill in Lelant - great pub, very pretty, good local ales and awesome well priced food - the 1/2 pound steakburger is a must - service is also excellent, but it gets busy

Pizza patio in hayle - top pizza's and pretty outdoor seating area by estuary

Carn Brea Castle - near redruth - run by Julia Swalhalas uncle - I think its lebanese food, very good, lamb/garlic type dishes, its and old castle built into the top of a rocky hill, very atmospeheric, all candle lit. a very interesting venue

hope this helps

Moggith
Edited by: moggith

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hi Moggith, glad to see you enjoyed the delights of Cornwall. With regard to the noise when you get when you pull away at about 12mph (something we discussed in the thread "clutch judder..." which started the question off), It is in fact the ABS doing a self check. So if you stop and pull away again it won't do it, but if you stop and switch the engine off and back on, when you pull away it will do it again. So apparently nothing to worry about.
With regard to fuel economy it should improve as the engine wears in.

p.s Anyone going to Eden, book your tickets on-line, the ticket can be reused all year and you don't have to queue when you get there.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Thanks Moggith and Winston for you info/tips I am looking forward to it not been down that way for about four years.
SB

1 - 12 of 12 Posts