Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, ordered the ST line X PHEV a couple of weeks ago and the test drive ride seemed fine. I wanted the X upgrades of sunroof and winter pack and it works out cheaper than adding those features to the ST line.

I currently drive a Kuga with 18” wheels and one of the first things I did was fit Michelin cross climates which I am more than happy with.

the 19” wheels on the X do worry me because I imagine the tyres are a whole new level of expense compared to the 18”.

The other option I suppose is buy a spare set of steels with winter tyres but not sure I can be bothered changing them twice a year.

Anyone got any thoughts and am I overthinking it too much?

Reactions: MaoVi

·
Enjoying the VIN-YA-LEE
3,764 Posts
You’ve asked…your overthinking it.
18” seem to be the perfect size for handling, tyres and availability for replacements etc.

I’ve got the michy x climates and xxxx by them.

·
Premium Member
Kuga ST Line X 1.5 Eco 180ps 6 Speed Auto AWD Magnetic
1,160 Posts
Okay, ordered the ST line X PHEV a couple of weeks ago and the test drive ride seemed fine. I wanted the X upgrades of sunroof and winter pack and it works out cheaper than adding those features to the ST line.

I currently drive a Kuga with 18” wheels and one of the first things I did was fit Michelin cross climates which I am more than happy with.

the 19” wheels on the X do worry me because I imagine the tyres are a whole new level of expense compared to the 18”.

The other option I suppose is buy a spare set of steels with winter tyres but not sure I can be bothered changing them twice a year.

Anyone got any thoughts and am I overthinking it too much?
Tell me about 19” wheels and you should have added “please” 👍

I’ve got them and they are fine just keep away from the kerb.

·
Super Moderator and Mr Grumpy
7,741 Posts
They have a higher sidewall on the mk3 I do believe which should give it more protection. 225/55/19 compared with 235/45/19 which is actually a bit more than the mk2 18" option.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I put a set of Alutec 18 ins Alloys Black Wheels on in the winter with Michelin Cross Climates on. The Alutecs are made in Germany (from Openeo) and worked out about £95 each. They are a direct fit on my Kuga Mk2 and to be honest I think the 18ins are a much better ride than 19 ins. I don't have to worry about potholes so much and I keep the Vignales with 19 in tyres for the summer. 19 ins Michelin X Climate are a stupid price. I'm getting rid of my Kuga in January as I cannot get into the new model because of the lower sloping roof and neck issues. I will be selling the Alutec's with the X climates on in January.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
18s on the Kuga are probably the best balance between comfort and handling, for the size and weight of these C-SUVs. 17s are too small (and they don't look the part), 19s are obviously a bit down on comfort (due to smaller sidewall) and a bit up on handling, depending of course on tires as well. Going for 20s is pushing it, at least for C-SUVs.

There's no huge gap, there's no sudden "****, that's harsh" when going from 18s to 19s, and it's really down to personal preference, driving style, even the roads you'll usually drive on.

·
Registered
2018 Vignale 180 Auto Platinum white
146 Posts
I put a set of Alutec 18 ins Alloys Black Wheels on in the winter with Michelin Cross Climates on. The Alutecs are made in Germany (from Openeo) and worked out about £95 each. They are a direct fit on my Kuga Mk2 and to be honest I think the 18ins are a much better ride than 19 ins. I don't have to worry about potholes so much and I keep the Vignales with 19 in tyres for the summer. 19 ins Michelin X Climate are a stupid price. I'm getting rid of my Kuga in January as I cannot get into the new model because of the lower sloping roof and neck issues. I will be selling the Alutec's with the X climates on in January.
Hi Poldark, i will be interested in your 18wheels and tyres when you are ready to sell them please let me know . Thanks Jeffb

·
Update Ninja
Vignale 2019, Platinum White
4,157 Posts
As others have said it is all down to personal choice with regard to ride and shocking state of our roads. I have run all 3, 19s look good and can ride well but you feel road defects like they were potholes and prices are ridiculous, 17s are much softer due higher side wall but look too small, and 18s are a good compromise, they ride well, look okay and better on price, and whichever tyres you pick there are recommendations and different preferences from various members on the site, unfortunately, with tyres, you can’t try before you buy
I had a set of winter wheels n tyres and changed twice a year which wasn't a problem, but sadly had to sell them on due to lack of storage space, so when my current tyres get a bit long in the tooth I will be fitting all seasons

Reactions: Martin1977

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi Poldark, i will be interested in your 18wheels and tyres when you are ready to sell them please let me know . Thanks Jeffb
Hi Jeff,
I apologise, they are 17 ins wheels and 17 inch Michelin X climates. It would not have been worth dropping an inch for winter wheels and the X climates would have been far more expensive in an 18 ins. I think the ride is far more comfortable with the 17 in wheels and road noise is far lower. Great grip in winter and 3rd winter with no salt or corrosion damage on the black alutecs. Poldark

1 - 10 of 10 Posts