Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sorry to reply to an old thread.
My 4 year old Titanium X tailgate has developed the problem where the tailgate will open but trying to close it (the button on the tailgate, keyfob or dashboard switch) all results in 5 beeps and a refusal to move. Found out when I'd been to the supermarket, put the shopping in the boot, pressed the button and walked away to go to another shop without looking. 15 mins later walked back to find the boot open! Nothing taken fortunately.
I've tried removing fuse 25 (twice) but this hasn't fixed it.
I did find yesterday that if I stop opening the tailgate before it is fully open, pressing the keyfob again will see the tailgate close.
I have looked at the manual but can't see the reset procedure (sorry for being thick) which I'd like to try to see if this works but has anybody else had a similar experience (i.e. the partial opening/closing)?

·
Update Ninja
Vignale 2019, Platinum White
3,674 Posts
Have you seen post 7 in this thread

·
Registered
23 Posts
Update. I found that if I stopped the opening of the tailgate before it reached the top it would then close after pressing the button again. RTFM and set the stop opening point below full open and away we go. After a couple of days decided to try resetting max open back to the normal fully open position and it is working ok again. No idea why. Perhaps the car is as confused as we all are at the moment...

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Fourth post by PINGUTM on the first page may help Martin.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sat outside my missis work waiting to pick her up from work thought I’d try the fuse and still the same open boot fine but won’t close but will close if cycle stoped half way through

·
Registered
3 Posts
Saying that I’ve just managed to stop it near the full opening of boot and pushed and held button so it opens to that height and seems to now be working

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
If have a look in the handbook it explains the ability to set the opening height of the tailgate, so it may be that you inadvertently set the opening height to something odd.

·
Registered
1 Posts
so as of today the tailgate seems to be fixed!!! i tried Fillco's idea and it has worked. thnx!!

If anyone in future has this problem and comes across this thread heres what i done to fix

-open tailgate using tailgate button and let it fully open.
-remove fuse 25 from luggage fuse box. (i used tweezers)
-manually close tailgate.
-go into back passenger side to gain access to fuse box as tailgate will no longer open.
-stick fuse back into its home. (at this point i hear some mechanical noises coming from the tailgate)
-re open tailgate using tailgate button and let it fully open again.
MOMENT OF TRUTH.....
-press the close tailgate button. - IT WORKS!!!
-try it multiple times and works without issue.
-lock car up and bask in the glory of fixing an issue the dealership could have charged me a fortune for.

Hope it helps for anyone in the future!!
Hi
The above post is brilliant. I am a new member and driving my 2016 2.0 Diesel since new. I love the car but two weeks ago the power tailgate would open but would not close using the key fob or kick plate or boot button on dashboard. I emailed my Ford dealer yesterday (limited opening due to Cv19) to ask could I drop it in to get it fixed then I found the above post. It worked first time. I could not believe it. Thank you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
been trying different things all day but still not working. could it be something to do with the battery perhaps... maybe it has to be over a certial level or something?
It can't be the battery because it wouldn't open, never mind close. Remember it uses more power to lift it than to lower it.

·
Super Moderator and Mr Grumpy
6,331 Posts
It can't be the battery because it wouldn't open, never mind close. Remember it uses more power to lift it than to lower it.
The post you have responded to is 4 years old and the member in question hasn't been seen since 2018 so I doubt he will respond.

We all at some point respond to an old thread but if you search for a particular problem hit the "SORT BY" tab and then change to most recent.

Welcome to the forum. Perhaps have a read here and update your signature so when you do have a problem it saves you having to type what car and model you have.

(3) Welcome to the Forum, Please Read | Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums

·
Registered
1 Posts
so as of today the tailgate seems to be fixed!!! i tried Fillco's idea and it has worked. thnx!!

If anyone in future has this problem and comes across this thread heres what i done to fix

-open tailgate using tailgate button and let it fully open.
-remove fuse 25 from luggage fuse box. (i used tweezers)
-manually close tailgate.
-go into back passenger side to gain access to fuse box as tailgate will no longer open.
-stick fuse back into its home. (at this point i hear some mechanical noises coming from the tailgate)
-re open tailgate using tailgate button and let it fully open again.
MOMENT OF TRUTH.....
-press the close tailgate button. - IT WORKS!!!
-try it multiple times and works without issue.
-lock car up and bask in the glory of fixing an issue the dealership could have charged me a fortune for.

Hope it helps for anyone in the future!!
Just wanted to let you know that we had the same issue with our 2015 Kuga just today, and your solution fixed it - so many thanks indeed for posting your most helpful insight!

·
Administrator
Ford Kuga 2013 Titanium X
1,809 Posts
Hi @Riffman, welcome to the forum.

The post you're replying to is 4 years old & the OP hasn't been active on the forum since 2018, also, it wasn't his fix either. It was Filco's

Please take a minute to fill out your car model in your signature, it helps us when answering your questions and saves you having to type it in all the time. Details can be found here…………Welcome to the Forum, Please Read

·
Registered
2013 Titanium X with 2017 Powershift Conversion.
1,718 Posts
Would be interesting to see what faults if any come up on diagnostics when the boot is playing up.

I've seen Tailgate Actuator over current threshold (or similar) stored code but we've never had any bother with the boot oddly enough..

21 - 35 of 35 Posts