Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 titanium x kuga

today i am having issues with the tailgate...

the tailgate opens without issue using the keyfob and the console dash button. once it has opened i hear 2 beeps

when i press the close button on the tailgate nothing happens. even holding the button in to reconfigure the opening distance nothing happens. no beeps nothing...

pressing the tailgate button on the keyfob and on the dash to close it seems to have better results as the tailgate ever so slightly moves about a milimetere but does not close

also if i press the button to open the tailgate then let it open a little and re press the button to stop and close it just stops and pressing again just resumes opening

i am currently having to close it manually but obviously I am at a loss what to do..

any guesses or ideas are much appreciated

Edited by: pingutm

·
Registered
38 Posts
Mine did this last week when the mrs had the car, nothing would work even keeping the button on the tailgate pressed for 5 seconds or more to reset. When I got home from work I tried it and it worked fine! Been ok ever since no idea what it was.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
been trying different things all day but still not working. could it be something to do with the battery perhaps... maybe it has to be over a certial level or something?

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Have you tried a reset procedure??

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes tried that but no beeps to acknowledge its been corrected and still opens to original height

Edited by: pingutm

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
We take it you have driven the car since you had the issue so the car battery should be up to voltage.

You could try disconnecting Fuse 25 (25amp) in the luggage compartment fuse box.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so as of today the tailgate seems to be fixed!!! i tried Fillco's idea and it has worked. thnx!!

If anyone in future has this problem and comes across this thread heres what i done to fix

-open tailgate using tailgate button and let it fully open.
-remove fuse 25 from luggage fuse box. (i used tweezers)
-manually close tailgate.
-go into back passenger side to gain access to fuse box as tailgate will no longer open.
-stick fuse back into its home. (at this point i hear some mechanical noises coming from the tailgate)
-re open tailgate using tailgate button and let it fully open again.
*MOMENT OF TRUTH.....*
-press the close tailgate button. - IT WORKS!!!
-try it multiple times and works without issue.
-lock car up and bask in the glory of fixing an issue the dealership could have charged me a fortune for.

Hope it helps for anyone in the future!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thanks for the update and the fix pingutm great to know it worked just in case mine goes again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, Thank you for the fix. The wife and I hace just bought a Kuga on a 2015 plate and after having it for 4 days the boot wouldn't close. I am pleased to say that your fix worked

One thing that is bugging me, why does the fix work ??? We have the car booked in for the boot issue but now don't know whether to take it back to the garage on not now its working.
Thanks again !!!!

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Like anything with a memory, a reboot can do wonders

Probably all that Ford would do too, well maybe!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi. I have the same problem but when I opened the luggage compartment fuse box there are like 6 fuses with the number 25 on them. Which one would it be? Please help.

·
Super Moderator
906 Posts
THe 25 on the fuse is the fuse rating (25 Amps), you need to find slot 25...

·
Registered
1 Posts
so as of today the tailgate seems to be fixed!!! i tried Fillco's idea and it has worked. thnx!!

If anyone in future has this problem and comes across this thread heres what i done to fix

-open tailgate using tailgate button and let it fully open.
-remove fuse 25 from luggage fuse box. (i used tweezers)
-manually close tailgate.
-go into back passenger side to gain access to fuse box as tailgate will no longer open.
-stick fuse back into its home. (at this point i hear some mechanical noises coming from the tailgate)
-re open tailgate using tailgate button and let it fully open again.
*MOMENT OF TRUTH.....*
-press the close tailgate button. - IT WORKS!!!
-try it multiple times and works without issue.
-lock car up and bask in the glory of fixing an issue the dealership could have charged me a fortune for.

Hope it helps for anyone in the future!!

This has been the most helpful post in History...... well you know what I mean?

THANK YOU!!!! I was facing a decision to operate the door manually or contact my local Ford dealer and be prepared to part with my soul. Instead I followed your instructions and it works perfectly now.

Pingutm, you are a LEGEND!!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wow mine was doin the same thing last wk. Came on here saw this thread and sent the hubby out and it worked for us as well thank you prob saved us loads of cash

·
Registered
183 Posts
In my case the tailgate will not open with button or kick, I have to unlock the car and only then the 'keyless tailgate' will work :(

I will try the fuse fix and report back, it is soo ennoying as you have to take you keys out, or unlock the door and THEN open the boot,

·
Registered
1 Posts
My wife’s car had the same issue in that the boot opened, but wouldn’t close. Did the fuse fix and it worked!!!!!!! <2mins to do and fixed. Thankyou for the comments / fix

·
Registered
304 Posts
Not sure if it's similar issue that i had. Boot would open fine from all controls however if i tried the kick or button on boot it would close maybe 2" then stop.

Apparently this is correct if the following also happens... I generally only unlock the drivers door, if this is the only door unlocked the car wont shut boot from kick or boot button, only then remote. Meant to be safety feature to not lock key inside. If ALL doors are unlocked then it always worked faultlessly.

Reactions: NigelB

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just purchased a Kuga 2.0 TDCI 150bhp Titanium X. Used to be motability so low mileage. Last car was a 1.5 tdci 2015 Focus which brought me back to Fords from overpriced Golf's.

Had car couple of days and closing electric tailgate works intermittently at best. Back to dealers (car came with extended 2 year Ford warranty) and it needed a strut replacing.

All sorted, works each time 100% so far.

Overall loving the spec, ride and performance..a bit thirsty but what the ****.

Henry

·
Registered
1 Posts
have issue my self opening boot ( not kick type) opens always.sadly often refuses to shut by button or fob. tried fuse removal ( loads of fuses in boot so tried all!) and nothing .gave up few days later knock us down with a feather it started working again! 3 days later back to its normal sulking refusing not close situation . not ideal at all and if we want to trade in next year ..going to be huge discount to shift it. wondering if Ford had a fix for thsi as seem s quiet common.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts