Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 2014 titanium kuga that i purchased yesterday is doing strange things with the tailgate when closing it.
worked perfect at the main agents when i returned it as i believed it to be faulty (level ground) took it to local supermarket and it worked perfect there to !
when i arrived home (my house is on a unadopted road so is quite bumpy) and parked on my drive it opened ok but lo and behold would not close fully (again)
my car was / is at a slight angle on my drive !!!! if i move it to another part of my drive that has less incline it works ok. HAS /IS there a sensor on the boot door ???????
or am i loosing the plot .
sean

·
Registered
2016 Mk2 Titanium 180 AWD, manual, Frozen White, Sync2, Black BBS 17" wheels, convenience pack
231 Posts
sounds like something is out of line when not level, does the tailgate move excessively when its pushed sideways, look at the hinges for wear or damage.

Reactions: sean finn

·
Mr Modification
Ford Kuga MK2 12/2014 Titanium X Sport AWD 2.0TDCI 200PS 450Nm (T8MA) Manual Sync1
443 Posts
Might help little adjustments on hinges. Have a look on gaps between sides, are they equal?

·
Super Moderator
Ford Kuga 2013 Titanium X
1,633 Posts
Hi @sean finn, welcome to the forum,

Please take a minute to fill out your car model in your signature, it helps us when answering your questions and saves you having to type it in all the time. Details can be found here...........Welcome to the Forum, Please Read

·
Registered
480 Posts
That sounds like it may be chassis flex which would concern me. The car has a unitary construction and all cars flex and deform to a certain extent but not to the degree that means the tailgate will not shut ! In the old days you would never jack up a car with the door open or it wouldn't shut again !

Has the car had an accident in the past ?

·
Registered
2015 TDCi 150 Zetec with all optional extras
61 Posts
I meant to ask also the direction of the incline, and parking direction.
If the vehicle is on a downhill incline when the tailgate fails to latch, turn the vehicle round, and see if the result is the same.

When the tailgate fails to latch, open a window slightly, then see if the liftgate latches.

My guess is it only happens when the vehicle is facing uphill, and is ok when facing downhill. If this is the case, it could be the struts may not be letting the tailgate down quite fast enough, or the strike plate needs a mm or so adjustment.

Have you tried resetting the height so it does not open as high, I think you let the tailgate open fully, lower it about 3" or so, then while holding the tailgate still, hold in the button on the tailgate until it beeps. Then when it opens it opens to the height you were holding it at when you held in the button.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
1 previous owner only done 40k miles bought from a main ford agents no reported accidents, ?????? not a easy one to solve, i have found that if i leave a door side open or the sun roof open it will shut correctly , its as though it has a pressure sensor on shutting ?????? Any more thoughts on this haunted kuga .lol
I meant to ask also the direction of the incline, and parking direction.
If the vehicle is on a downhill incline when the tailgate fails to latch, turn the vehicle round, and see if the result is the same.

When the tailgate fails to latch, open a window slightly, then see if the liftgate latches.

My guess is it only happens when the vehicle is facing uphill, and is ok when facing downhill. If this is the case, it could be the struts may not be letting the tailgate down quite fast enough, or the strike plate needs a mm or so adjustment.

Have you tried resetting the height so it does not open as high, I think you let the tailgate open fully, lower it about 3" or so, then while holding the tailgate still, hold in the button on the tailgate until it beeps. Then when it opens it opens to the height you were holding it at when you held in the button.
good advice will try in the morning

·
Registered
61 Posts
I may be telling you what you already know, but the tailgate is latched when it comes into contact with the body I am assuming this is the strike plate. I would investigate this mark its position And move it out just a couple of millimetres, do not view it as moving it out of position, but instead view it as moving it into position because the striker plate might be out of place

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
at last after a month of manually to close boot FORD MAIN AGENT AGREED to the fault after taking a video of door not locking, when parked on a angle. took it in today for a aircon regas and fix tailgate, YES YOU GUESSED IT air con done and ............ will have to order a replacement actuator, they don't know how long it will be before for part to arrive.

·
Registered
2016 Mk2 Titanium 180 AWD, manual, Frozen White, Sync2, Black BBS 17" wheels, convenience pack
231 Posts
😞

·
Registered
61 Posts
I do not understand how the dealer diagnosed a faulty actuator, because it closes when a window is open. A new actuator will not open a window a little as the liftgate lowers.

The problem is the liftgate is coming to rest on the rubber seal creating a cushion of air, just before the liftgate staple makes contact with the lock.

When they have replaced the actuator, and it is no different, then they will rectify the real cause which is lock or staple adjustment, wether they admit it or not.

Well at least it will work when you get it back.

·
Registered
2013 Titanium X with 2017 Powershift Conversion.
1,519 Posts
It's called swaptronics, they just fire the parts cannon with no real fault finding (or effort).

See it all the time but at least they are paying!.

·
Enjoying the VIN-YA-LEE
2,625 Posts
Here’s an oddity.

Many moons I had an issues similar and I found that the rubber boot seal was filled with water.

They do have vent holes and when I cleared them the water was jetting out when pressure was applied.

Just something else to check.

@Devilish has mentioned resetting the boot lid. Have you done it? Having said that I thought that was opening height restrictions , so it doesn’t clatter a low roof.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts