Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Kuga 2021 Mk3, ST line x-edition, 1.5 petrol, 150ps, 20" alloys,, Drivers assistance + Tech pack.
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After recently joining the Kuga Owners club I thought I would give you my first experience of Sync and Map updates. After studying the forum and seeing the problems everyone was having I set about the job a few days back. Downloaded the file onto USB stick, a Lexar of 128Gb capacity. Checked the files were unzipped and checked the 3 files were there. Went on a journey and it updated Sync3 to Sync3.4 in about 15 mins. When I checked the USB stick I found the Log file on it and uploaded to Ford site. Within a few minutes it allowed me to down load the map updates. Took a long time to download, approximately 24 hours due to slow internet connection. My return journey from North Wales was about 3 hours so inserted drive and set off. It took 75 mins for 1st part then rebooted and 2nd part took 90 mins so nearly home by time it finished. Did the lock/unlock cycle and took USB indoors. Found the log file on USB and uploaded to Ford and again within a few mins it said my maps were up to date. When I checked I had maps version F10 from previous F9. Seems I might have been lucky to succeed 1st time when I read of the problems some have had. Thanks to everybody who has contributed to problem solving these updates because without reading the advice I doubt very much I could have done it.

·
Update Ninja
Vignale 2019, Platinum White
4,167 Posts
I reckon you need to buy a lotteryticket😂😂

·
Registered
Mk3 2020 ST Line 1st Edition MHEV with driver's assistance pack & technology pack.
30 Posts
Thanks for documenting your experience. This process, however, seems daunting, not to mention time consuming! Is there really no easier or quicker way? Won't a dealer be able to do this as part of a service!?

·
Registered
Kuga 2021 Mk3, ST line x-edition, 1.5 petrol, 150ps, 20" alloys,, Drivers assistance + Tech pack.
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for documenting your experience. This process, however, seems daunting, not to mention time consuming! Is there really no easier or quicker way? Won't a dealer be able to do this as part of a service!?
From what I've read it's more than likely the vast majority either won't do it or charge the earth. It is time consuming, for them, as well as us, and technically it is not covered by warranty.

·
Premium Member
Kuga ST Line X 1.5 Eco 180ps 6 Speed Auto AWD Magnetic
1,187 Posts
I reckon you need to buy a lotteryticket😂😂
PMSL 🤣😎

·
Registered
Kuga 2021 ST-Line X PHEV Magnetic
191 Posts
The last time I did a SYNC and map updates I turned the car on on my drive, plugged in the USB, turned the car off and the update ran until it completed - no need to drive anywhere or leave the engine running.

·
Update Ninja
4,167 Posts
But what about when auto power off battery saver on Sync kicks in on a large update?

Reactions: davidoff

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
But what about when auto power off battery saver on Sync kicks in on a large update?
You, I and a few others know you can't do upgrade and maps without having the engine running, not only do you get the battery saver message but with the engine running you get the engine stop message as well which you need to override. If you do it on the drive that is, or the other option is to connect the battery charger.
I think the instruction from Ford technical to the dealership is to connect the battery charger before doing any updates.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I only know what I did. Although the SYNC screen had turned off I could see the LED on the USB memory stick still flashing indicating it was being accessed. I'll document it next time I do it.

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
I only know what I did. Although the SYNC screen had turned off I could see the LED on the USB memory stick still flashing indicating it was being accessed. I'll document it next time I do it.
Are you sure it did maps. You need to update the software build first and then go back to Ford to get the map update, you can't download them both at the same time. Well you can but not by the Ford method, unless something has changed with the MK3.

·
Registered
2020, Kuga PHEV, ST Line X.
90 Posts
You, I and a few others know you can't do upgrade and maps without having the engine running, not only do you get the battery saver message but with the engine running you get the engine stop message as well which you need to override. If you do it on the drive that is, or the other option is to connect the battery charger.
I think the instruction from Ford technical to the dealership is to connect the battery charger before doing any updates.
You can disable 15min idle time in sync setting. Once you restart the car, its on by default.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Are you sure it did maps. You need to update the software build first and then go back to Ford to get the map update, you can't download them both at the same time. Well you can but not by the Ford method, unless something has changed with the MK3.
Yes, I updated Sync, then uploaded the log file to Ford, then downloaded the map update and installed it - all without driving anywhere or running the engine.

·
Update Ninja
4,167 Posts
Yes, I updated Sync, then uploaded the log file to Ford, then downloaded the map update and installed it - all without driving anywhere or running the engine.
Strange, that goes completely against what Ford says to install

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
I posted details when I did it 4 months ago in this thread usb music skipping.
Its interesting, maybe the fact its PHEV allows this to happen without the warnings you get with the non PHEV. Does your car have the built in modem.

·
Registered
191 Posts
It does. I plan to try the next batch of updates via my home Wi-Fi.

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
It does. I plan to try the next batch of updates via my home Wi-Fi.
Having given it some thought its highly unlikely to run out of battery is it. (y)

·
Administrator
Ford Kuga 2013 Titanium X
2,391 Posts
Strange, that goes completely against what Ford says to install
It's obviously not the same as a standard petrol or diesel Ronnie, I know which method I'll be carrying on with and it won't be this one.

Reactions: Ross J and RonnieM

·
Registered
164 Posts
Yes because mine is a PHEV I left it on overnight updating (plugged in).
By morning it had completed. I guess the non-phevs don't have that luxury...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts