Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All!!!

my sync 2 has been perfect since i bought the car 2 years ago.... however very recently i have noticed its veryyyy slow, and now reboots, crashes, freezes, and in some cases removes the steering wheel controls and the volume will go to full automatically? and then reboots stating "performing scheduled maintenance" to which it crashes all over again? any ideas what could be the issue? i have also done a master reset! and im thinking of removing all power cables from the APIM and leave it for an hour or so.... but apart from that im lost? nothing has changed ? nothing added etc ?

Thanks all :D

·
Super Moderator and Mr Grumpy
10,636 Posts
Hello All!!!

my sync 2 has been perfect since i bought the car 2 years ago.... however very recently i have noticed its veryyyy slow, and now reboots, crashes, freezes, and in some cases removes the steering wheel controls and the volume will go to full automatically? and then reboots stating "performing scheduled maintenance" to which it crashes all over again? any ideas what could be the issue? i have also done a master reset! and im thinking of removing all power cables from the APIM and leave it for an hour or so.... but apart from that im lost? nothing has changed ? nothing added etc ?

Thanks all :D
What version of sync 2 are you running. It should be 3.08 or 3.10.

If you have a ford compatible OBD reader and FORScan you can check if there are any U codes stores relating to the APIM. If there are then it could be a sign that the APIM has an issue and may fail completely. A second hand sync 2 screen are fairly cheap to buy as most people want a sync 3 one.

I wouldn't bother going to the trouble of removing the top cover to get to the APIM, just disconnect the positive battery lead for 30 minutes. That will be enough time for the modules to power down completely.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thanks for the reply :) its 3.10 and i do have a reader with forscan.... ill do this on the weekend, and if it comes to it i may bite the bullet and upgrade to the sync3 :) just annoying for the time being !! but will report back when i do some diags over weekend

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
morning FKO! little update , after trying everything known to man! the Sync2 still crashes and freezes! so took the plunge and from another user on here i ordered the Sync3 upgrade from Gt auto on Aliexpress.... which is due for delivery today! , i ordered it monday and its nearly here!!! so from the get go so far so good... when its arrived and installed i will update with pics before and after!

Reactions: Psshaw

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well a few hours passed and low and behold FEDex knocked the door with my new Sync3 .... being as i was too excited too take pictures i can confirm the sync 3 is now installed and WOW! such a difference from the sync2!! will be road testing after work :) but if anyone wants to do the upgrade yourself! be warned the UK kuga mk2 2016 ... has a few annoying steps that YouTube doesn't show hahaha such as top speaker grill removal, its held on by 2 screws when unclipped! make sure to unscrew them or you will be yanking away like i was for a good 10 mins hahaha then the lower (closer to windscreen) comes away separate! followed by the speaker grill and then finally the main cowl! , the other one i noticed was trying to remove the sync2 usb hub... nothing like the youtube videos :D insert a screwdriver into small opening in the top push down and outwards this will release the hub! unlike youtube that states pull bracket and the unit follows :D apart from those 2 little fiddles the rest was plain sailing and took me around 25 mins from start to finish :)

happy syncing folks!!!!

Reactions: Psshaw

·
10,636 Posts
The correct way to remove the top cover is to remove the speaker grill first working from the back at the windscreen end. Then you can remove the screws and remove the front / top cover and the back cover.

Good to see the upgrade went well.

A link for the sync screen you bought may be useful for other members.

Reactions: davidoff

·
Banned
Kuga ST Line X 1.5 Eco 180ps 6 Speed Auto AWD Magnetic
2,464 Posts
The correct way to remove the top cover is to remove the speaker grill first working from the back at the windscreen end. Then you can remove the screws and remove the front / top cover and the back cover.

Good to see the upgrade went well.

A link for the sync screen you bought may be useful for other members.
Yep, we need pictures to see this mod.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
my bad the link is Sync 3 Kit

i seen it on KOC from someone elses post :) and removing the top cover was the trickiest part but all sorted and yes your right start at the back and lift the speaker grill!

Reactions: smartguy69

·
10,636 Posts
I think that's gone up a bit since last time I looked but some sellers on eBay are charging that for a second hand one.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i think i paid £410 for it a few days ago? crikey its gone up by £40 !! unless its market driven and price increase/decrease according to the market at the time ? but superb service , rapid delivery,

·
Banned
2,464 Posts
i think i paid £410 for it a few days ago? crikey its gone up by £40 !! unless its market driven and price increase/decrease according to the market at the time ? but superb service , rapid delivery,
That looks a good kit, at a reasonable price. where did it come from.

·
Super Moderator
7,068 Posts
That would be great as I’m sure others are teetering on the edge as well.
A couple have done it but maybe in a slightly different way. 👍

·
Banned
2,464 Posts
That looks a good kit, at a reasonable price. where did it come from.
I just noted it came from Ali Express, I didn't think they sent anything quickly. did it come from China.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yep! sure did ghuangzho! to be precise :D took a total of 3 days!! really well packaged! and customer service was exceptional!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That would be great as I’m sure others are teetering on the edge as well.
A couple have done it but maybe in a slightly different way. 👍
i would suggest those thinking about it.... dont think JUST DO IT!! you will not regret it! :D

·
Administrator
Ford Kuga 2013 Titanium X
3,662 Posts
Maybe you should have read the best thread on here and it would have told you everything you needed to know about removing the grille.

I wonder who's thread could he mean? :unsure: Oh yeah, mine! Kuga Sync 2 Retrofit

Reactions: Ajstudiosuk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Maybe you should have read the best thread on here and it would have told you everything you needed to know about removing the grille.

I wonder who's thread could he mean? :unsure: Oh yeah, mine! Kuga Sync 2 Retrofit
you my friend are the inspiration!! and at the time i was too excited to be mooching on threads :D and i had thought youtube had served me well!!

but massive thanks too you for inspiring me :D

Reactions: andspenka

·
Administrator
Ford Kuga 2013 Titanium X
3,662 Posts
All you need to do now is update it the 'right' way ;)

Reactions: Ross J and davidoff

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
All you need to do now is update it the 'right' way ;)
funy you should mention this.... mines on 3.4 build 21994? but ive noticed screen flicker ( cause of day/night sensor) and also climate is back to front :S any hints or tips let me know!! what should the sync build be ? and is it only forscan as alie supplied a fancy dongle :D?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.