Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

I guess this is my first question on these boards. Let me know if this is the incorrect section to ask this.

It's my understanding that one of the simplest ways to update SYNC 3 to the latest version is by downloading the latest firmware to a USB stick and loading that one. When doing so, will I get all updates for the navigation maps as well or is there a distinction between free map updates and paid-for map upgrades? I've tried to Google this but didn't manage to find a clear answer.

I'm going to get my 2018 Kuga on Friday and I'd like to know the answer beforehand. If map upgrades aren't free I'm going to try and pressure the sales guy into getting me the latest upgrades available to date.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator and Mr Grumpy
5,787 Posts
Hi @Hagues and welcome to the forum. When you get you car would you like to update your signature with your car's details which will save you having to type it in each time you post. Details here.

Unfortunately I cannot help you with your query as I have sync 2 but I am sure there are plenty here who can advise further.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi @Hagues and welcome to the forum. When you get you car would you like to update your signature with your car's details
Sure, no problem. I've put in the basics and will add the exact SYNC version and further details once I have it.

Reactions: smartguy69

·
I am Batman!
Kuga ST - Manual 6 Speed - 200PS+ Petrol.
553 Posts
As far as I am aware free maps are available from Ford download website whilst the car is under warranty (someone correct me if I'm wrong). But the best way l heard is to use an alternative method. Someone will hopefully contact you about using this method to update your Sync3 which always has the latest updates available not on the Ford website either. I'll be using this way soon once the car is out of warranty.

Reactions: Hagues

·
Super Moderator
2,544 Posts
The latest map upgrade takes the maps to a version called F10 and the updates will cover both firmware and maps.

However.........the latest update has a corrupted file according to Ford and the 'clean' update will not be available for around six weeks! Get the selling dealer to do the update before delivery. In all honestly updating is a total PITA and rarely goes right first time. Let someone else have the bother before you get the car.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Splendid! It thought bugged firmware was a thing in routers and access points, guess we can add cars to the list as well. 😅

·
Registered
South Wales 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
1,290 Posts
Sync3 the super highway method 👍

·
Update Ninja
Vignale 2019, Platinum White
3,530 Posts
Reactions: NigelB

·
Super Moderator
Ford Kuga 2013 Titanium X
1,699 Posts
However.........the latest update has a corrupted file according to Ford and the 'clean' update will not be available for around six weeks!
It shows how clueless they really are, the 'Alternative' method or should I say 'Preferred' method :unsure: takes the files from the same server and doesn't have any 'issues'

Get the selling dealer to do the update before delivery. In all honestly updating is a total PITA and rarely goes right first time. Let someone else have the bother before you get the car.
And it still won't be up to date, they'll update it to maybe only 2 years out of date instead of 3 😂

Reactions: davidoff and NigelB

·
Super Moderator
1,699 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK this is getting a bit confusing. I guess I'll just ask them to get me their latest **** and take it from there. I'll report back when I know which version is actually installed. Tomorrow's the big day!

·
Super Moderator
1,699 Posts

·
Super Moderator and Mr Grumpy
5,787 Posts
Nope, I'm guessing you haven't seen Fight Club then :unsure:

I'll give you a clue, we DON'T talk about it!
No never watched it. If we don't talk about it how am I expected to know what we are not talking about 😂

Do I need to get a sync 3 unit.

·
Premium Member
Kuga ST Line X 1.5 Eco 180ps 6 Speed Auto AWD Magnetic
458 Posts
Nope, I'm guessing you haven't seen Fight Club then :unsure:

I'll give you a clue, we DON'T talk about it!
Exactamundo, too many loose lips, should be PM only. 🤫
Super highway is not for everyone and can impact on warranty.

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
No never watched it. If we don't talk about it how am I expected to know what we are not talking about 😂

Do I need to get a sync 3 unit.
No Sync 3 for you, you can’t be trusted with modern technology 😉😎

·
Registered
16 Posts
OK gents, I've received the vehicle today. Forgot to note down the SYNC 3 version (can do tomorrow morning) but I did note down the current maps version: F6.1. So that's that. Attempting to continue the conversation as you all seem very much willing to help but respectfully, it's becoming a bit confusing.

Help a brother out and ELI5. :D What I gather:
  • The latest SYNC 3 version comes with maps version F10 but that one is currently bugged, at least when downloading directly from Ford. I have managed to download SYNC3_2807651462_Update.zip but until you guys greenlight me to go ahead it'll remain on my Desktop and nowhere else.
  • However, @andspenka mentions an alternative means to get an update, as far as I understand, that supposedly leads to a proper F10 version. What does this alternative method entail?
Hopefully I'm not asking too much of your time to help me understand all of this.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
OK gents, I've received the vehicle today. Forgot to note down the SYNC 3 version (can do tomorrow morning) but I did note down the current maps version: F6.1. So that's that. Attempting to continue the conversation as you all seem very much willing to help but respectfully, it's becoming a bit confusing.

Help a brother out and ELI5. :D What I gather:
  • The latest SYNC 3 version comes with maps version F10 but that one is currently bugged, at least when downloading directly from Ford. I have managed to download SYNC3_2807651462_Update.zip but until you guys greenlight me to go ahead it'll remain on my Desktop and nowhere else.
  • However, @andspenka mentions an alternative means to get an update, as far as I understand, that supposedly leads to a proper F10 version. What does this alternative method entail?
  • I've briefly checked the CyanLabs website but I understand that's custom (non-Ford) software. Are these customized updates to SYNC 3 or do they replace SYNC 3 with a different platform altogether? Also, what is the CLUB method, should I read into this? I think people have started to edit posts as not everything above matches the posts I've got in my e-mail notifications.
Hopefully I'm not asking too much of your time to help me understand all of this.

Thanks!
PM @andspenka and he will very happily explain the pros and cons, he has helped numerous members on here.
Also use the search function to brief yourself regarding the issues with Sync3 updates.👍

1 - 20 of 47 Posts