Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

We're trying to hatch a plan to upgrade my Father-in-Laws Sync 2 equipped 2016 Kuga to Sync 3 as this seems to be a worthwhile swap-out. I've read some info on it, including a very informative post by your member "superblades", but just wondered if there's any other help out there?

There are a few 'kits' on Ebay from salvage Kugas, I just want to be sure to buy the right bits.

As I see it, I need -

1 x Sync 3 Screen
1 x APIM
1 x Media Port
1 x GPS Antenna

It looks as though those parts are likely to cost around £500, give or take a little.

Are all the Ford Sync 3's the same or must it be from a Kuga? What is involved in getting it coded to the car? Do we need to swap out the fascia trim or is this optional?

TIA

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
You need balders for this.

Parts listed are correct and no need to swap fascia trim as far as I know. balders and andspenka have upgraded their sync 2 to 3. Not sure if there is an issue with heater controls being reversed if you use the screen option.

If you have satnav already make sure you get the sync 3 APIM which includes navigation as you can't add it like you can with sync 2.

@balders - one for you.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Hi
Yep your parts list are fine, just make sure the Apim is from the UK. GPS pucks are hit and miss I've two had one from Amazon sent it back, 2nd one was off T'bay works a treat, mounted at the front closest to windscreen under the top facia. On to the media usb port might need pins moving Andrew is your expert on that mine worked without any pin swaps.
My Sync 3 is from a 2017 Focus ST, so most fords should be OK, try to get the latest one you can.
The aircon/heater controls are reversed, not an issue for me. One problem you will encounter is updates as your father in law s car is registered with Sync 2 so the Ford update site will know the Vin number is for Sync 2...... There is a work around.... But would have to shoot you if i passed on the info..... 😂😂😂😂 You just need the Vin numbet from a similar model that had Sync 3 fitted, if you go down the update route let me know and I'll find you a Vin. Just need to know what spec the Kuga is..... 😉
Paul

Reactions: smartguy69

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
There are some kits appearing on AliExpress now for around AU$1000. They appear to be all new parts and come pre programmed.

One of them even comments on GPS antenna issues and says the genuine Ford one is supplied (IIRC.)

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
They also do the sync 1 to sync 3 full wiring looms as well for anyone who wants to undertake this mammoth task.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Hey balders. I don't think you answered the query on the focus media hub having two mini usb inputs on the underside.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi
Yep your parts list are fine, just make sure the Apim is from the UK. GPS pucks are hit and miss I've two had one from Amazon sent it back, 2nd one was off T'bay works a treat, mounted at the front closest to windscreen under the top facia. On to the media usb port might need pins moving Andrew is your expert on that mine worked without any pin swaps.
My Sync 3 is from a 2017 Focus ST, so most fords should be OK, try to get the latest one you can.
The aircon/heater controls are reversed, not an issue for me. One problem you will encounter is updates as your father in law s car is registered with Sync 2 so the Ford update site will know the Vin number is for Sync 2...... There is a work around.... But would have to shoot you if i passed on the info..... 😂😂😂😂 You just need the Vin numbet from a similar model that had Sync 3 fitted, if you go down the update route let me know and I'll find you a Vin. Just need to know what spec the Kuga is..... 😉
Paul
Great help, thanks for all that. I'm looking at a Sync 3 from a 2019 Kuga, Screen, APIM and Media Port for £450. Sound OK?

Once I have that, do we just set about fitting it or does it need this whole VIN shenanigans first? Would it help if I had the VIN from the car it came from?

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Not sure if you need the vin from the donor or same model car for sync 2 to sync 3. You could ask the seller for either reg number of donor car or vin. No reason I can see why he wouldn't give it. You can get vin from reg number easy enough.

I am still not convinced you need the as built data when changing from sync 1 and sync 2 if it could be determined which blocks need changing and to which numbers and letters. For example Satnav enablement on sync 2 just needs one character changing. I have downloaded the as built for my car and the same model which has sync 2 so I will compare the differences.

@balders

·
Registered
215 Posts
Not a bad price, they have come down some what. Ive seen them on Gala motors for around £6-700. It would help if you had the vin as Sync 3 uodates are through Fords web update page. If you put your car vin in it will see it has Sync 2 and not 3. As i said previously its not a major issue. The asbuilt data from yours may work with the Sync 3 its a bit of trial and error, the vin number is the key. What spec is the Kuga? If you pm me the reg number, I'll try to match it.... If you don't get the donor vin number.... 😊😊
I think i paid around £300 for the Focus ST set up, sold the Sync 2 for £130

Reactions: smartguy69

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not a bad price, they have come down some what. Ive seen them on Gala motors for around £6-700. It would help if you had the vin as Sync 3 uodates are through Fords web update page. If you put your car vin in it will see it has Sync 2 and not 3. As i said previously its not a major issue. The asbuilt data from yours may work with the Sync 3 its a bit of trial and error, the vin number is the key. What spec is the Kuga? If you pm me the reg number, I'll try to match it.... If you don't get the donor vin number.... 😊😊
I think i paid around £300 for the Focus ST set up, sold the Sync 2 for £130
OK, so I have the kit lined up and the VIN. Is there anything else I should know about this kit before I buy it? Does the spec of the donor car matter?

This is the summary...

FORD KUGA MK2 2017-2019 SYNC3 SAT NAV SCREEN WITH USB
THE PART WAS REMOVED FROM FORD KUGA MK2 ST-LINE
1.5 ECOBOOST PETROL 147 BHP 6 SPEED MANUAL FWD EURO 6.2 , 680 MILES
BLUE METALLIC
MANUFACTURE PART NUMBER-GJ5T-14D202-MC, JJ5T-14D202-AA,KJ5T-14G370-RGA

·
Registered
215 Posts
Do you have the vin..... I could run it through ford etis for you. Spec shouldn't be a problem, its only if you are using its asbuilt data

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
There are some kits appearing on AliExpress now for around AU$1000. They appear to be all new parts and come pre programmed.

I'm not sure what they'd work out to in UK pounds?

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Almost sure there is no code, the unit is synced to the car software

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
No mention of radio code in owners manual. I think ford stopped putting a radio code in when the radio became model specific.

The MK1 had a radio code I believe but then that system was also used in other ford models across the range. Our Mk7 fiesta on 09 plate didn't have a radio code either as it was synced to the car.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
So be aware it may need a syncing code to sync it to a none syncing system. Just got that syncing feeling...

·
Super Moderator
2,178 Posts
I'm eyeing up a Sync 3 to buy, but the seller doesn't have the radio code. Can this be sorted somehow?

No radio code. The unit has to be coded to the car by a dealer or an independent garage with high-end diagnostic kit.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts