Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
@andspenka - Andrew, is usb not available as a source in sync 3. I would have thought it would be as how would you load up some wallpaper or play usb music files.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Kuga Titanium Moondust Silver 1.5 Ecoboost 2WD.
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
20210221_210734.jpg

This is what shows as on the USB stick.

·
Ford Kuga 2013 Titanium X
1,034 Posts
USB is showing exactly that, exactly as you say and as Ford say. A folder with the title “SyncMyRide” •One file “autoinstall.lst” •One file “DONTINDX.MSA”

Just tried again, and again formatted to exFat and then after unzipping on to stick showed exactly the above as on the USB but still nothing. I'll try getting a shot of a windows laptop to eliminate chrome OS being a factor, could get a 64gb to try too but 32gb should be sufficient in theory,Ford say only 4gb required.

Sync 3 might be superior to Sync 2 but its not feeling that way for me atm as Sync 2 a simple case of buying an SD card I believe! Regards selecting USB as the source that must be a Sync 2 feature, I tried sources but doesn't list USB as a source on my Sync 3 just radio, FM/AM/DAB, CD, Bluetooth etc.
Hopefully can work it out eventually, if Windows laptop and/or bigger card doesn't resolve it then I think it'll be on to Ford and the dealer to try to resolve.

4Gb for software only, 32Gb for software and map.

Yes, you're correct Sync 2 is an SD card to update the map. I'm talking about Sync 3 as a system on the whole is head and shoulders above Sync 2.

A Lot of the problems with the update process is down to the USB not being prepared correctly. The USB needs to be ex-fat and MBR, this is why Sandisk seem to work best as they come as MBR from new.

·
1,034 Posts
@andspenka - Andrew, is usb not available as a source in sync 3. I would have thought it would be as how would you load up some wallpaper or play usb music files.
Yes it does have a source button and you can select it when there is media on the USB. Let's not get caught up in something that isn't important.

You can't add wallpaper on Sync 3.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Yes I have a Sandisk purchased from reputable supplier in Argos formatted to exFat and with the above on it. I fear my issues are not the usual sort of common ones then. I'll persist though and be certain to report back what works. Will probably be next weekend now before I can get my hands on a windows laptop. Mrs ScotKuga has a Samsung tablet however. May try that in the meantime.

·
1,034 Posts

·
Registered
Vignale 2019 MK2 Platinum White
3,049 Posts
Just a thought do you have engine running, and switched off auto engine stop in settings menu?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
I fear it might be a problem with my vehicle/sync unit like first poster had.

(I know usb ports work as can plug in phone there and its instantly recognised for Android Auto use).

I wiped and reformatted usb drive and started from scratch using Samsung tablet this time, downloaded from Ford then unzipped then moved to usb drive. Showing same files on it as when done with Chromebook and still no response from vehicle when plugged in. Have engine running and 'auto engine off' set to off too as suggested, was doing that previously too.

I can only try good old windows and a bigger capacity stick maybe for good measure before dealer visit looms.
Thanks to everyone for your help. This is s great site for support. I'll be sure to report back once I try it on windows.

·
Registered
Ford Kuga MK2.5 ST-Line 2017 1.5 TDCi manual
11 Posts
Make sure the USB partition is MBR and not GPT. You can use a program called Rufus to change the partition type. After that, format as exfat like the instructions say. I have a dedicated 32gb USB 2 flash disk, which I have used for all my sync 3 updates. Last update I tried it was not being detected. Formatted it again and again, also downloaded the update twice in case it was corrupt. Then I remembered I had used it to install windows, which had changed the partition type to GPT. Switched to MBR and presto. Sync 3 detected the update

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
I am having exact same problem it doesn't matter which way I try I can't update I've never been able to update maps so still on f7 and it once updated sync over wifi (which amazed me) but this new update it will not play ball grrrr

·
Registered
208 Posts
Make sure the USB partition is MBR and not GPT. You can use a program called Rufus to change the partition type. After that, format as exfat like the instructions say. I have a dedicated 32gb USB 2 flash disk, which I have used for all my sync 3 updates. Last update I tried it was not being detected. Formatted it again and again, also downloaded the update twice in case it was corrupt. Then I remembered I had used it to install windows, which had changed the partition type to GPT. Switched to MBR and presto. Sync 3 detected the update

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
I was just about to post exactly this.

MBR partition is essential - it will not work if it is set to GPT

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
To check if your usb stick has the correct partition (Note the partition can be the whole drive and not just a segment of it.)

Put usb stick in laptop
Right click windows in bottom left corner
Device manager
Disk Drives
Right Click your memory stick
Volumes
Populate
Read partition style - Mine shows MBR

Screenshot 2021-02-22 154403.png

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi all so my super duper Mac splits the files and unzips all on download which the sync system doesn’t like I used a cheapie windows laptop and downloaded l to the same usb stick and now updating sync as I type. Look like the Mac is too much for the sync software 🤣 thanks for all the responses

·
Super Moderator
2,267 Posts
No, 3.0 is your lot There is an 'at your own risk' upgrade to 3.2 but it is totally unsupported if it screws up.

·
1,034 Posts
No, 3.0 is your lot There is an 'at your own risk' upgrade to 3.2 but it is totally unsupported if it screws up.
It's perfectly safe ;)

·
Registered
2017 Kuga 1.5 TDCI
4 Posts
USB is showing exactly that, exactly as you say and as Ford say. A folder with the title “SyncMyRide” •One file “autoinstall.lst” •One file “DONTINDX.MSA”

Just tried again, and again formatted to exFat and then after unzipping on to stick showed exactly the above as on the USB but still nothing. I'll try getting a shot of a windows laptop to eliminate chrome OS being a factor, could get a 64gb to try too but 32gb should be sufficient in theory,Ford say only 4gb required.

Sync 3 might be superior to Sync 2 but its not feeling that way for me atm as Sync 2 a simple case of buying an SD card I believe! Regards selecting USB as the source that must be a Sync 2 feature, I tried sources but doesn't list USB as a source on my Sync 3 just radio, FM/AM/DAB, CD, Bluetooth etc.
Hopefully can work it out eventually, if Windows laptop and/or bigger card doesn't resolve it then I think it'll be on to Ford and the dealer to try to resolve.
Scott,
When you open the extracted folder that was downloaded the files will have SYNCMYRIDE/ before the actual file name. delete this and then copy the files to the SyncMyRide folder you created on the drive with the two other files “autoinstall.lst” & “DONTINDX.MSA”

it should automatically detect the update, you don't need to select USB

Took me ages to realise the filenames are incorrect every time I downloaded, always works for me now using this method.
I am using a Macbook so it may be different???? Not sure how though.

hope this works for you.
Nick

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
That's one positive result so far out of four who can't do the upgrade.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts