Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Ford Kuga Titanium Moondust Silver 1.5 Ecoboost 2WD.
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all hope someone can help here.
I'm trying to update my sync 3 on my newly acquired 2017 Kuga and have followed Ford's instructions to the letter, downloading the Sync update offered from their website when entered my VIN, and unzipping the update onto a SanDisk usb flash drive formatted to exFat and confirmed the 3 correct files are present on the usb drive root directory and nothing else on the usb drive.
So next stage entered car started engine and inserted usb stick into one of the ports in the armrest and nothing,no response by car sync system at all. So tried other usb port and still nothing. Rechecked ford instructions and says can take a few minutes to recognise usb drive so left in a bit but been about 20/30 mins now and still nothing. Tried removing and doing master reset on sync unit then reinserted usb once sync restarted but still doesn't respond at all.
Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Is there some other usb port somewhere other than the armrest for these sort of updates? Or is my sync unit likely faulty? It says it's on software version 2.2 and build 16280 gracenote 1.1.1.794 (EU-0010) and navigation maps version EU 4 15.
From what I can tell quite outdated.
Thought about WiFi update but my driveway doesn't get car close enough to house to pick up any sort of reliable WiFi connection.
USB stick is SanDisk and purchased from Argos so I'd think genuine.
Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Snap!
I had exactly the same as you last year when I got my 2017 and it had those EU4 15.
I went back to Ford dealer straight away they were not very helpful told me they never seen map EU4 15 before. Contacted Ford HQ as the website would not let me download again as Ford system now thought I was up to date. Ford instructed me to book it in at dealer and they would contact dealer on what to do.
I was asked to go collect my as now sorted they said cost was £240, I was most annoyed after only had the car 2 weeks and did not pay. Told Ford HQ and they compensated me and apologised.

Wi-fi updating doesn't work for me, think Ford might have a bug in their system.

Dealer had tried to argue the Sync 3 system not covered in Ford Protect Gold warranty, which it clearly states it is, that's why I stood my ground when asked to pay.

There is a website which is non Ford that many use and I'm sure someone will be along to advise you of it, as I'm under warranty I've not used it, think it cuts out the unzipping messing about.

·
Registered
2017 Titanium X 150 Magnetic
82 Posts
Hi I updated my 2017 i to had EU4 15 and used usb. I am not very computer literate, my son down loaded the file as you has stated above and I put the usb in when I was going to do a long journey the update was a two part process after the first update is completed you have to follow a procedure of key a Cycle which was something like, turn the car off opening and shutting drivers door locking leaving the car for a while etc. I can’t remember the exact process but I followed the instructions all went well, I then carried on my journey and the second part of the update installed, i have posted this to let you know the update is possible and works. May be you need to go for a drive while doing the update? have you check the usb is working ? Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a Jan 18 kuga one week old to me also on update 2.3 I have tryed everything and more and will not update sync have spent hours and hours reading information with no luck

·
Registered
9 Posts
And in English my one will not show any message when plugging USB in just a USB type logo for a split second

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
It’s a common problem I’m afraid. Been there etc.
Make sure you have a huge size usb stick. Try to go for double what the download size is.
I ended up with a 64gb usb as the 32gb wouldn’t work. Got the larger one and hey presto.

Sounds like you’ve done it right but unfortunately I’d wipe the stick clean, reformat and do it again.

From experience the sync3 screen usually starts within moments of putting it in the slot. Make sure there’s nothing else in any slot even dash cam power.

good luck.

·
Registered
2017 Titanium X 150 Magnetic
82 Posts
Just a thought , I think I managed a WiFi update before I did the usb update. I have no idea what the WiFi update was. May be try to do a wifi update first then the usb ? Sorry I can’t be any more help.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Format to exfat new 128 USB drive nothing plugged in I think I've done the lot

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was using a 16gb stick as Ford website said only required about 4gb. However I read later that when you move on to the map updates they are about 25gb so I've just picked up a Sandisk 32gb stick from Argos.
I got the Sandisk dual one with a USB C connection on one end and a USB A on the other, given my laptop only has USB C ports so I can at least rule out the C-A adaptor I'd had to use to connect the other stick to laptop causing any issues. They didn't have the 64gb dual one in stock but 32gb should be enough surely.
Will try starting again with this one. If no success then I begin to wonder if its because I'm using a Chromebook (don't have a windows laptop) although it shouldn't be as the Chromebook file manager can also usually download and unzip files no problem, I did find that the built in unzipper wouldn't work due the file format Ford were using (hardly surprising with Ford :rolleyes:) so I had to install an additional free but well recommended unzip tool from chrome web store, it integrates straight into the file manager and seemed to manage the unzip successfully but if still no success then I might need to see if I can borrow a friends windows laptop to rule out the Chromebook being the problem.
If all else fails I'll contact the Ford dealer I've bought from as still under the 60 day warranty they gave. I've been in touch with them anyway as had a few other issues they are getting sorted out for me. Unsure if they will have anyone who knows much about it but worth a try.
Interesting someone above mentioned the Ford Protect warranty also covering these issues. Was already intending to purchase a one year Ford Protect warranty towards the end of the 60 days rather than extended warranty offered from dealership I bought from, as they sell their dealership group warranties but they don't have Ford branches near enough me to be handy where as Ford Protect warranty is almost same price and can use at any Ford dealer. Useful to know that it will continue to cover any issues with the Sync system for a year then as seems a faff to update.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
7zip is what I used and it auto unzips files for you.
I did what you have done with the 32 GB but it still wouldn’t work but was ok on 64gb. I used an ageing Sony vaio in windows 7.
The maps take forever to download, install and update.

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
Have any of you gone into settings and selected usb as opposed to hoping it would load itself. I had to do that when installing navigation update on sync 2.

Also someone else posted that if the root directory of the usb isn't formatted as an MBR partition type then sync won't read it. The root directory is the FIRST folder when you click on whatever your drive label is when it's stuck in your laptop.

·
Ford Kuga 2013 Titanium X
1,067 Posts
He just means, make sure you have selected the USB as a source and not it being on the radio. It doesn't make any difference. The Sync unit will recognise the USB no matter what source is selected. Mine has been on the radio every time I've updated it.

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
He just means, make sure you have selected the USB as a source and not it being on the radio. It doesn't make any difference. The Sync unit will recognise the USB no matter what source is selected. Mine has been on the radio every time I've updated it.
It didn't see it on mine when I updated the navigation. I had to go to source and select. Could have been a glitch perhaps as I not needed to use a usb drive since.

·
1,067 Posts
Sync 3 is far superior to Sync 2 ;)

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
That's because it's more android biased lol.

On my sync 2 nav upgrade (to get rid of the SD card error) I stuck the usb stick in and waited and waited and it didn't seem to be doing anything so went to source, usb select and it loaded. It's worth a shot and hopefully it will either load or say no usb device found.

It only needs a corrupt autoinst file on the root directory or sync not to read the autoinst file and it's not going to load what's in the sync my ride folder. Least I believe that's how it's supposed to work.

·
1,067 Posts
If it's not working then the USB isn't prepared correctly, it's as simple as that.

It has to have a Syncmyride folder and an autoinstall.lst file to work, the autoinstall needs to be outside of the Syncmyride folder.

Reactions: smartguy69

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
USB is showing exactly that, exactly as you say and as Ford say. A folder with the title “SyncMyRide” •One file “autoinstall.lst” •One file “DONTINDX.MSA”

Just tried again, and again formatted to exFat and then after unzipping on to stick showed exactly the above as on the USB but still nothing. I'll try getting a shot of a windows laptop to eliminate chrome OS being a factor, could get a 64gb to try too but 32gb should be sufficient in theory,Ford say only 4gb required.

Sync 3 might be superior to Sync 2 but its not feeling that way for me atm as Sync 2 a simple case of buying an SD card I believe! Regards selecting USB as the source that must be a Sync 2 feature, I tried sources but doesn't list USB as a source on my Sync 3 just radio, FM/AM/DAB, CD, Bluetooth etc.
Hopefully can work it out eventually, if Windows laptop and/or bigger card doesn't resolve it then I think it'll be on to Ford and the dealer to try to resolve.

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
I know that but do the others who are having problems know that lol. Would you like to post a picture because I am sure you have one. It will show the others how the file system should look for it to load correctly.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts