Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just been on to the Ford SYNC website and found that there is a new map update for my car. No.8656801503 size 8.1 GB. Anybody already installed this ? plus anybody know what it does ?.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update to above. Just decided to update the SYNC 3 with the above map update, as it was only 8GB i thought it would not take very long to do ! how wrong was i. Inserted the USB with the files and the system said "updating system software" i sat in the car with the engine running for 1 hour and 10 minutes waiting for it to complete. After that time i got fed up and left the USB in and turned the engine off and locked the car. Waited 2 minutes and went back and switched the car back on, still got the same message for another 5 minutes so got fed up and switched off and locked the car. Could there be something wrong as it is only 8gb of data and should not take that long to install. Ford technology wins again !.

Reactions: Hutch9964

·
Super Moderator
698 Posts
I recall the maps update required nearly two hours, and at some point you have to shut down the car, exit, lock it , wait a couple of minutes before opening again and switching back on... Don't do it on the drive, take the car for a drive...

PS My times are for Mk2 Sync3. Data rate via USB is only about 115k a second, and doing a back of envelope calculation 8.1GB is about 120 minutes at best....

·
Registered
317 Posts
My understanding is that the upload should be done with the engine not at idle. The first time
I did an update with the car stopped in driveway , I got a message ( in Dutch) that the vehicle
was not developing enough power to perform the update.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
totally confused by this latest update. Before i did it my SYNC 3 was to 3.4 20138 and F9 maps. When i checked the Ford SYNC website it said that my software was up todate but there was a map update No, 8656801503 - 8.1gb. So i duly downloaded the update and unzipped it to my usb stick. Went for a long run this morning and started the installation, after about an hour i got a message that my update was completed to SYNC 3.4 20138 and i needed to do a system key recycle for 2 mins. After doing this and switching back on with the usb still inserted i got a message that a map update was available which could take another hour to do, it said do you wish to proceed, so i pressed yes ! but nothing happened ! no message saying that the maps were being updated. So i gave up and pulled the usb out and checked on the PC to see if an xml log file had been included, there was no log file. I can only presume that the map update did not happen because my maps were already up to date to F9.
So the question is "what is map update No.8656801503 - 8.1gb for ? anybody got any ideas or tried to do the same update ?.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Losing the will to live with these SYNC 3 updates. Just found out that if you do an update and do not have an xml log file to send back to Ford, you can download a ZIP 44KB file, add it to your usb with the other files. Did that then put the usb back in the port in the car, and then got another message saying update completed. So put the usb into my PC and logged into the Ford SYNC website and it searched for a xml log. Low and behold it recognised the log file and confirmed that SYNC 3 was now fully up to date ? still do not know what i have downloaded but SYNC 3 now fully up to date. Not looking forward to doing any more.
Ford really need to do something about the SYNC 3 updates and make them more user friendly and easier to use.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Update to above. Just decided to update the SYNC 3 with the above map update, as it was only 8GB i thought it would not take very long to do ! how wrong was i. Inserted the USB with the files and the system said "updating system software" i sat in the car with the engine running for 1 hour and 10 minutes waiting for it to complete. After that time i got fed up and left the USB in and turned the engine off and locked the car. Waited 2 minutes and went back and switched the car back on, still got the same message for another 5 minutes so got fed up and switched off and locked the car. Could there be something wrong as it is only 8gb of data and should not take that long to install. Ford technology wins again !.
Dont worry your not alone

1 - 7 of 7 Posts