Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Kuga 2019 st line 1.5 ecoboost
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Kuga 2019 (69 plate) ST Line 1.5 ecoboost petrol.
I read online about putting the sync 3 into some sort of engineer mode and then i could try different themes out and was hoping to change it to the st loading page.
I updated the software as per fords recommendation which all went well and then did the press certain buttons trick to put it in engineer mode.
I left test mode ticked as just wanted to try it and not have it permanent and selected a theme (cant remember which one). Problem was the screen then went all out of alignment and crashed.
I turned everything off and on again and it seem to reset itself to the latest update i just done.

But now it glitches and freezes alot - it doesnt display 1500hrs, just goes straight to 1600 - freezes and crashes sometimes.

Would a factory default/reset sort this out?
Or if not, anyway of putting this back to normal? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
907 Posts
You don't have many choices... It's a pretty locked up bit of software, I haven't heard on this forum of much other than Factory Reset as options...

·
Administrator
Ford Kuga 2013 Titanium X
1,836 Posts
Hi @Notroubleclubber, welcome to the forum.

Please take a minute to fill out your car model in your signature, it helps us when answering your questions and saves you having to type it in all the time. Details can be found here..........Welcome to the Forum, Please Read

As for your question, the themes set in the test mode don't stay after an ignition cycle anyway. The only way to get it to stay is by using a program called Forscan. I would try a Master Reset to see if it fixes your glitches, it's always a good idea to perform one anyway after a software update.

·
Registered
Kuga 2019 st line 1.5 ecoboost
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Many thanks
Signature updated

sounds like a master reset should work then.
I did a software updated according to the ford website but didnt update the map.
After a master reset will i need to do the software update again too?

·
Super Moderator and Mr Grumpy
6,423 Posts
If you are stilling having issues with your sync 3 screen after a master reset we can tell you how to reinstall the APIM as built file which is as your screen will have been when it left the factory. Hopefully, as andspenka says, a master reset should sort it.

·
Registered
Kuga '67' & Kuga '18'
7 Posts
If you are stilling having issues with your sync 3 screen after a master reset we can tell you how to reinstall the APIM as built file which is as your screen will have been when it left the factory. Hopefully, as andspenka says, a master reset should sort it.
Are you able to help me do this please?

I was on 2.2 (I think) could have sworn I was 3.0 . Got an update from Ford online, put USB in and over an hour later still "updating". Assumed it had crashed so took it out. Now screen is black, nothing I do will power it on, USB slots are dead also. Tried changing the fuse (67 in passenger slot) and still nothing. Screen totally dead :(

·
6,423 Posts
Hi @EmilyP92 and welcome to the forum. Please have a read here and update your signature with your car's details so we know what you have in the future.

As for your problem if your usb ports are not working and you have a black screen then you are unable to do a master reset and unfortunately it does look like your screen has failed. I have seen a few failures of cars from your manufacture year.

You could try fuse 79 as well.
You could try disconnecting the battery.

If your car is under my form of warranty then it's to time to see if the touch screen is covered. If the screen has failed then it will show as a communication error using a ford compatible OBD reader which plugs into the car and laptop and using a programme called FORScan. Quite easy if you are reasonably good with IT.

·
Registered
Kuga '67' & Kuga '18'
7 Posts
Hi @EmilyP92 and welcome to the forum. Please have a read here and update your signature with your car's details so we know what you have in the future.

As for your problem if your usb ports are not working and you have a black screen then you are unable to do a master reset and unfortunately it does look like your screen has failed. I have seen a few failures of cars from your manufacture year.

You could try fuse 79 as well.
You could try disconnecting the battery.

If your car is under my form of warranty then it's to time to see if the touch screen is covered. If the screen has failed then it will show as a communication error using a ford compatible OBD reader which plugs into the car and laptop and using a programme called FORScan. Quite easy if you are reasonably good with IT.
Oh I was really hoping this wasn't the case! I haven't tried the battery disconnect, and I didn't take out fuse 79 as my hazards are working fine. Annoyingly out of warranty as nearly 4 years old :(

·
6,423 Posts
Oh I was really hoping this wasn't the case! I haven't tried the battery disconnect, and I didn't take out fuse 79 as my hazards are working fine. Annoyingly out of warranty as nearly 4 years old :(
I know the manual says hazards and door locks for F79 but it also says touchscreen so worth a look. The battery disconnect will reset the screen if it's just a glitch. I was going to ask if you had accidentally touched the display button and turned it off but judging from what you have said already, I think you would have looked at that.

I do suspect the screen has failed but the only way to tell is via a diagnostic check and seeing if there is a communication issue with the APIM. That's fords fancy acronym for what is attached to the back of the touch screen.

·
Registered
Kuga '67' & Kuga '18'
7 Posts
I know the manual says hazards and door locks for F79 but it also says touchscreen so worth a look. The battery disconnect will reset the screen if it's just a glitch. I was going to ask if you had accidentally touched the display button and turned it off but judging from what you have said already, I think you would have looked at that.

I do suspect the screen has failed but the only way to tell is via a diagnostic check and seeing if there is a communication issue with the APIM. That's fords fancy acronym for what is attached to the back of the touch screen.
I'll try the fuse and battery In the morning before I set off for work

Also I had a brainwave, I remember the Ford service guy mentioning extended warranty when I set up my main dealer service plan. Going to look into that tomorrow too!

Thanks for your help! All I wanted to do was update my bloody maps haha.

·
6,423 Posts
I'll try the fuse and battery In the morning before I set off for work

Also I had a brainwave, I remember the Ford service guy mentioning extended warranty when I set up my main dealer service plan. Going to look into that tomorrow too!

Thanks for your help! All I wanted to do was update my bloody maps haha.
Use Google, much better lol.

·
Registered
Kuga '67' & Kuga '18'
7 Posts

·
Registered
Kuga '67' & Kuga '18'
7 Posts
No lol, Google maps.
I would but android auto never worked. It would flash up on car screen then go off. Yet in my husbands 2.3 sync (18 plate kuga) it worked perfectly 😡

Stupid car!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts