Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im hoping someone can help me. Im picking up my Kuga soon but it has a Sync2 infotainment without Sat Nav. Is there an easy way of installing a Sat Nav. I've spoken to Fords but they have said that there is nothing they can do.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I bought a ELM connector downloaded forscan and got the extended licence on trial for free and followed the instructions from the XDA website. It was really simple to do and I now have say nav on my sync 2 system. All in it cost me about £30. If you need the full set of instructions send me a pm and when I finish my night shifts I’ll dig them out for you.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
They must be pirated maps for that price?

We're lucky in Australia as we get free yearly map updates for Sync 2 and 3 with the yearly service through Ford. (As well as the yearly breakdown coverage being discussed in another thread.)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi guys, i am in the same boat here. Recently purchased a 2016 kuga with sync2 but no sat nav, it has the information and compass on the display so i think it is doable on ours. I have brought an ELM connector and the maps sd card. Would anybody be able to point me in the right direction with regards to the process to install it?
Much appreciated, Dan

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Hi guys, i am in the same boat here. Recently purchased a 2016 kuga with sync2 but no sat nav, it has the information and compass on the display so i think it is doable on ours. I have brought an ELM connector and the maps sd card. Would anybody be able to point me in the right direction with regards to the process to install it?
Much appreciated, Dan
Hi Dan, try this link from the USA Escape forum https://www.google.com/url?q=https://www.fordescape.org/forum/electronics-audio-lighting/63889-enable-myfordtouch-navigation-via-software-update.html&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwjG_q6WkdHfAhWMvLwKHciWAmgQFggFMAA&client=internal-uds-cse&cx=partner-pub-7865546952023728:4300729295&usg=AOvVaw2l0_0tYVM_b1F3K27HqFyP or try YouTube or the search function

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi All, is this a simple job to carry out? I am considering trying it myself but slightly paranoid incase I make a hash of it. I recently bought my Kuga from Arnold clark and it is a 2015 Tifanium X AWD and it was advertised with Sat Nav however when I collected the car the sales person said the SD card was missing and he would order me one, a week later I got a call saying the Nav SD card had arrived I went to collect it and put it into the a lot and the system detects there is an SD card there however it still says information up the top right of the screen and not Satalite navigation. When I mentioned this to the salesman he said I should book in in with the service department typical passing the buck! But I am just wondering if they have falsely advertise this car as having Sat Nav when actually it’s not activated on the system.

·
Super Moderator
1,783 Posts
Don't do it yourself.

Get AC to pull their fingers out and give you the car that you ordered.

If the Service Dept. balls it up then it's down to them to sort.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I’ll need to give them a call and get it booked in, just don’t want them cocking it up. I have seen threads where people have been advised by the dealer that the upgrade can’t be done so they don’t have to do it, although we all know this is nonsense and it can be done! Another unnecessary hassle courtesy of the guys at AC

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Keep pursuing the dealer. If you can't get them to get it working then push for a partial refund.

I haven't done it, but from what I've read it isn't that hard to enable the Satnav if you're computer literate. My advice would be to buy a decent OBD2 interface and don't get a cheaper modified ELM327- you're less likely to have anything go wrong then. I've got an OBDLink MX Bluetooth - which is recommended on most Ford forums as the best. I started with a supposed fully compatible modified ELM327 and that was nightmare with drop outs at the worst possible times.

·
Registered
8 Posts
This is something that interests me, I have also purchased one with Sync 2 and no Nav thinking as it has some global positioning it would just be a downloadable thing. Ford say it's not possible though I have seen a couple of youtube videos with people downloading the required info. I have also seen a company in the states the offer a replacement PCIM. I don't want to go to the expense of replacing the unit or PCIM. Does anyone know of someone in the UK that can do the download as I'm a complete numpty when it comes to this sort of thing and will end up wiping the whole unit.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Hi All, is this a simple job to carry out? I am considering trying it myself but slightly paranoid incase I make a hash of it. I recently bought my Kuga from Arnold clark and it is a 2015 Tifanium X AWD and it was advertised with Sat Nav however when I collected the car the sales person said the SD card was missing and he would order me one, a week later I got a call saying the Nav SD card had arrived I went to collect it and put it into the a lot and the system detects there is an SD card there however it still says information up the top right of the screen and not Satalite navigation. When I mentioned this to the salesman he said I should book in in with the service department typical passing the buck! But I am just wondering if they have falsely advertise this car as having Sat Nav when actually it’s not activated on the system.

If they advertised it with Sat Nav then they should honour that, insist they do the upgrade FOC

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
This is something that interests me, I have also purchased one with Sync 2 and no Nav thinking as it has some global positioning it would just be a downloadable thing. Ford say it's not possible though I have seen a couple of youtube videos with people downloading the required info. I have also seen a company in the states the offer a replacement PCIM. I don't want to go to the expense of replacing the unit or PCIM. Does anyone know of someone in the UK that can do the download as I'm a complete numpty when it comes to this sort of thing and will end up wiping the whole unit.

Have a look on USA Escape forums- there's lots of info on there about how people have done it. http://www.fordescape.org/forum/

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I read something on the Focus that said all you had to do was change the code of the APIM module. I will see if I can find it but on the Focus with SYNC 2, if it shows the compass on the display it already has satnav waiting to be programmed. Assuming you have got the interface module hidden in the centre console that has a card reader for the satnav software.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Ok so for those of you have sync 2 and the sd card reader under the centre console and don't have satnav but want it you need to search the forums for a guy called BANNCO. He will give you instructions on how to enable satnav on your Kuga proving you have the screen that is split into 4 sections with a compass in the top right corner.

You will need an ELM327, I refer the wired and not wireless one or similar that will work with Forscan. I can't find the original thread where I saw the instructions on how to enable it but it is quite simple. You will need the Ford SD card with the maps too.

Have a look at the link below.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/106828-sat-nav-installation/page/5/

Top of page

Looks like it's just a question of changing the first cell of the module code 7D0-01-02 from whatever it reads to 041C and then pressing write.

From reading through all the info it would appears firmware version 3.08 is required

Best ask bannko to be certain but just goes to show you what people at ford know who say you can't retro fit sat nav to sync 2 without it costing a lot of money as the APIM needs changing. What a load of cods. Can be done for the price of an ELM327, a genuine map SD card and a small amount of time.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts