Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
2019 St-Line Edition 2L TDCi 150 2WD
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi forums, I bought a used Mk2.5 St-Line which was a company car, upside it was practically new (thanks Covid, I guess), downside I don’t have all the details on the exact specs.

Now that we can move a little, I started driving around the local country, and noticed my suspension is quite “sporty” ie stiff. Was there something like a sports suspension package for the 2019 St-Line edition? Can I see somewhere if I have that? Are there any options to make the suspension a little more country compatible?

thanks!

·
Premium Member
Kuga ST Line X 1.5 Eco 180ps 6 Speed Auto AWD Magnetic
181 Posts
Hi forums, I bought a used Mk2.5 St-Line which was a company car, upside it was practically new (thanks Covid, I guess), downside I don’t have all the details on the exact specs.

Now that we can move a little, I started driving around the local country, and noticed my suspension is quite “sporty” ie stiff. Was there something like a sports suspension package for the 2019 St-Line edition? Can I see somewhere if I have that? Are there any options to make the suspension a little more country compatible?

thanks!
ETIS will give the build spec, the ST Line suspension is a little stiffer than the norm.

·
Mr. Happy
Kuga 2ltr AWD Titanium X, Midnight Sky.
1,017 Posts
Depending on the tyres too may affect your ride.

I have the 19's on my mk1 and everyone seems to think that they give a stiffer ride, which I like anyway.
I can also change my steering to sporty, but I prefer it a little bit easy.

Dunno about suspension choice when ordering a new one.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I will try and figure out what build I actually have.

I do have the 19” wheels so that might be a factor for me too. But maybe the Kuga is stiffer in general... I don’t have a Kuga to Kuga comparison, but driving it feels more like driving a car than driving other SUVs (nothing wrong with that, in fact I bet many prefer it)

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Thanks guys, I will try and figure out what build I actually have.

I do have the 19” wheels so that might be a factor for me too. But maybe the Kuga is stiffer in general... I don’t have a Kuga to Kuga comparison, but driving it feels more like driving a car than driving other SUVs (nothing wrong with that, in fact I bet many prefer it)
It does depend what you have come out of because the Kuga seats are a bit firm as well

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had a look at ETIS (never knew about this, very useful!) and nothing about suspension is mentioned in the PTI Information for my car. So I suppose the Kuga is just a bit firmer than what I’m used to. I can get used to that!

But still, out of curiosity, has anyone done any modifications in that regard? Since I really wouldn’t mind just a little more give on bumpy roads, and perhaps even a little more ground clearance...

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
I had a look at ETIS (never knew about this, very useful!) and nothing about suspension is mentioned in the PTI Information for my car. So I suppose the Kuga is just a bit firmer than what I’m used to. I can get used to that!

But still, out of curiosity, has anyone done any modifications in that regard? Since I really wouldn’t mind just a little more give on bumpy roads, and perhaps even a little more ground clearance...
Did you register, you have to register to get the detailed build spec. You can register as an individual

·
Mr. Happy
Kuga 2ltr AWD Titanium X, Midnight Sky.
1,017 Posts
I think a change of tyres would make it a bit softer.

Smaller wheels with a bigger side wall will do that for you.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did you register, you have to register to get the detailed build spec. You can register as an individual
I'll give it a try, cheers

I think a change of tyres would make it a bit softer.

Smaller wheels with a bigger side wall will do that for you.
Looking at 17" ones now, but have to say, so much more choice!

·
Registered
2019 Kuga St-Line 2.0 Petrol
14 Posts
The st line does have a firmer suspension tune which gives it a handling edge so it doesn't handle like a land yacht like many SUVs out there. Downside of course is a small payoff in compliancy over bumps.

With that being said, most reviews at the time were very complimentary about how well sorted the ride was considering it was one of the best handlers in its class.

Enjoy the new ride

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
489 Posts
I have the ST-Line edition model too and the suspension is stiff made stiffer with the 19" alloys. There was no option for suspension on this model as it has Sports Suspension as standard (ST-Line badge). I like it like that anyway but then all my cars have always had stiffer suspension from my previous cars - S-Max and Focus ST. The Kuga IMO drives well along main roads just not as good as absorbing large bumps in the road but it's a trade-off.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the feedback guys. I enjoy how the Kuga drives generally, and I’m sure I’ll appreciate the sportier suspension once this situation is over so I can finally give the Kuga a proper run on the motorway. And I’m looking at 17” wheels since that’s something I wanted to do anyway and it might be a good compromise.

·
Mr. Uses Lots of Words
4,685 Posts
I think 18" is a good compromise. I wish mine had the stiffer suspension. I think the 17" show too much sidewall.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Thanks for the feedback guys. I enjoy how the Kuga drives generally, and I’m sure I’ll appreciate the sportier suspension once this situation is over so I can finally give the Kuga a proper run on the motorway. And I’m looking at 17” wheels since that’s something I wanted to do anyway and it might be a good compromise.
If you do change your wheels you might want to give tyres some thought. The range of cross climate tyres give good summer and winter performance especially for 2wd.

·
Registered
Ford Kuga MK2 2014 Titanium X Sport AWD 2.0TDCI 182PS Manual Sync1
364 Posts
It's huge difference between run-flat and normal tyres. I had Conti Sport Contact 5 and now I have Davanti DX640 and ride is more comfortable. All 19" wheels

·
Mr. Uses Lots of Words
4,685 Posts
That tyre brand is not too popular in the UK. Made in China.

·
3,180 Posts
And I’m looking at 17” wheels since that’s something I wanted to do anyway and it might be a good compromise.
Fitting a different tyre to your 19" wheels would also change the ride quality. I'm guessing you'd have Continentals of some sort if they're the original tyres? You can also fit 245/45R19 tyres which give a small increase in the sidewall height. Something like the Goodyear Asymmetric 5 in 245/45R19 is likely to give an increase in comfort without sacrificing too much in grip and handling.

PS: Before spending any money check your tyre pressures. IIRC the 19" tyre pressure is around 3PSI less than the 17" recommended pressure.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah I do have the standard continentals on. But I was already thinking of smaller wheels with more sidewall because the first gravel road took a big chunk out of one rim. So if a less stiff ride is another benefit of that, all the better.

I like the Yokohama Geolandar and BFG Urban Terrain at the moment, their intended city/country use suits me well and they seem to be getting good reviews. The BFG slightly preferred because the Geolandar seems to exist only as a 225/65R17.

·
He's in Denial!
2,299 Posts
I think which ever way you go, may comprise other parts of the set up for the ST marque.

The seats are supportive and shaped.
The wheels are large with lower profile tyres.
The suspension is 10mm lower, as I recall.

So, you could change the wheels and tyres and I have no doubt that you would feel some difference. I have a Vignale on 18” with 235 x 50 x 18 and I previously described the ride as lush. Which it is.

But and it’s a big but, it has normal seats, ok there are leather but I don’t think they are anything other than a normal seat. So changing the wheels but not the seats could only result in marginal gains.

The suspension will be less stiffer but wether that’s just a short spring that can be changed to a normal spring, I don’t know. Maybe a complete strut from another Ford, Mondeo etc could be placed straight in.

Other that the seats, wheel-tyres and suspension, the Kuga has the same frame/chassis as all its other models with only body kit being different.

I do what you are on about as a few years ago we had a Audi Q5 on 20” rims and it was choppy.

Which ever way you go, will be cost and may not achieve what you want. From there it would be a decision to go the next step and more cost or call it a day and try to recoup any outlay or to swap motors to something a little less focused or more mundane. Still in the Kuga range though.

Anyway, keep the posts coming as I’m sure others and watch and wait before taking the plunge to do the same but with less pain, as you’d be a “pioneer” albeit less wealthier. Lol

Diesel 💪

1 - 20 of 65 Posts