Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

Sunroof / moonroof reset procedure

40K views 43 replies 23 participants last post by  Ross J 
#1 ·
I hopped into the car over the weekend after using the global open function to find that the moonroof and sun blind were still closed. After much fiddling the only response I could get was from the sunblind, which would make some movements when pressing the forward switch position. I couldn't find any reset procedure in the manual and none of the suggestions I found online seemed to work either. In the end I tried just holding the sunblind switch in the forward position, which seemed to cycle it through a reset procedure. With the button held in the forward position, the sunblind cycled all the way back, all the way forward, all the way back, and then all the way forward, where it stopped. Fortunately that seemed to reset the system, and now the sunblind and moonroof are all working again smile: Hopefully this will work for anyone else that finds themselves with the same problem.

#3 ·
The reset procedure has been mentioned on here a few times as some such equipped models built between mid-September 2015 and December 2015 have a problem where the roof won't close when slid open.

Hopefully the current model isn't going to suffer from roof related problems also.

#4 ·
Our 2016 tit x sport, we sold in March this year suffered from new with this issue. A visit to the ford dealer left me very angry.

I was told to take it to the dealer I bought it from and why didn’t I take it there in the first place.
When I pointed out that the Ford warranty didn’t have county boundaries, that made them more anti.

I was told to monitor it and that he’d never heard of it. A week later it did it again and as these things go it cleared itself before they could look at it. By that time another customer was having the same issue and Ford had changed he sunroof motor and suggested I did the same. Well I opted out abs it had less than 750 miles on it. I then found the reset which worked for a while but would reoccur every now and then.

Since then bought a new Tiguan but no sunroof and just got shut of of it and now got the Kuga vignale, so let’s hope all is well!

#5 ·
Oh sorry there is a procedure by the way....

If I can recall it.

Open drivers door, push ignition button on but keep feet of brake so it doesn’t start, then off then back on then press the sunroof button up and hold until it does a full cycle like you mention. You should do the same for the screen as it harmonises the motors.

#7 ·
Oh sorry there is a procedure by the way....

If I can recall it.
My global opening/closing was eorking OK for all four regular windows openen/ closed as normal, but the panoramic sun/moonroof didn't.

Carried out procedure and it now retracts the sun blind lifts the sun roof but doesn't retract the panoramic roof. Is that how it's supposed to work?

#20 ·
The five-second rule is interesting, the first time I tried the procedures still would not work. The open door does not mention closing the door while resetting. In the end, I pulled the fuse to check it, it was Ok but the reset procedure worked after this, one fuse blade was a bit tarnished, like overheated. sure it was longer than 5 secs before operating the buttons of the blind first.

#23 ·
Who’s got the crystal ball and where is the please and thank you.? and no introduction,

#24 ·
Hi all, quick follow up question on this. I have a Kuga ST-Line X and the glass roof is shut, but the sun shield is half covering the roof. Do I need to somehow fully open/close the sun shield before trying to initialise the glass roof? If so, how do I do that? And when you say ignition to "on" do you mean actually start the engine, or just turn the lights on the dashboard on? Cheers

#26 ·
When ignition on is mentioned, it's inferred that you turn on the start button without pressing the brake/clutch.
I don't have a sunroof but there is a walk through on how to reset it.

Reactions: hawkpie
#27 ·
The first part of this link lists the procedure.

#29 ·
@hawkpie

Has any of the suggested fixes worked?
Unfortunately not.

I tried the door open, start button on, off, on, press shield close button quickly and waited for the click (within 5 seconds), but nothing.

Tried a few times holding the button in longer or quick press and then long press, but nothing.

My shield is stuck in the middle at the mo.

Sun roof doesn't work at all either if I try the above with that button either.

#32 ·
Hi can anyone help, Ford kuga 64 plate, sunroof is stuck on open tilt, pressing the buttons to try and get it to close doesn’t do anything, blind is working as normal, tried doing the ignition on off on, press button once then press and hold but still nothing?? Just hear a slight noise like is wants to move but then nothing after ? Have check fuses to and are all good

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.